cruise 2633 Silver Wind TA

dougburns

Please enjoy a few pictures from our cruise critic and Silversea meet & mingle party held last nite in Doug and Lynn's suite on the Silversea Silver Wind. Doug with Ida, Larry with Lynn, Doug and Lynn with the hotel director Daniel Ilias and a few more. We then headed for dinner in the main restaurant and enjoyed fresh mussels with garlic and chorizo made by L Ecole des Chefs, Chef David Bilsland. Finally, we headed to the bar where you see Ida and a Dance host doing a Mumba line dance. A delightful evening on board the Silversea Silver Wind. Today, we are in Malaga Spain, and our first activity is a market visit with Chef David, where we will pick out fresh veggies, seafood and Iberico ham for nibbles tonite before dinner.09865f967f51fc15f960e6fc606bb63b.jpgbbdf028f9d057418144dc9e645929e81.jpg15e0b8079c8daa7fd44f62353070c153.jpgc6dfb83a0a9cfeef2974e2c205e81b33.jpg87a641851dda965f3449564c1c399ce2.jpgebcf5f9a106343ea99d64a09c1e26a50.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keep 'me coming Wes. All looking fab. Everyone looks as expect d to be having a great time.

The grand suite looks no different (unless they'be repapered with the same covering which I'd think is unlikely.)

Have the bathrooms changed? Given the time in dry dock it's fairly safe to say that the mini tubs will still be there. They did mention changing the floor tiles I think?

Well, I'll try again! Posted earlier, but it apparently got lost in space. We've had great weather so far in Valencia, Cartagena, and today in Malaga. Sun and clear skies with pretty calm seas except a few bumps the evening out of Barcelona. Nice big moon too. As far as the refurb goes, Mariotti did a fine job on all of the teak decks throughout the ship. Also new carpeting throughout the ship. They did a great deal of work in the crew quarters as well. No changes other than carpet in the Grand suites. The new HD, Daniel Ilias is definitely a keeper! He will be and already is a real competitor to Paolo. Any of you who have the opportunity to cruise with him will really enjoy it- a very personable gent and very outgoing. Same goes for the CD, Colin Brown. Sergio left the ship yesterday for vacation and then on to the Shadow. The maitre'd now is Damien, who we know from the Spirit. Lots of familiar crew aboard. Justin is the Bar Manager, Royden( former Butler Manager ) is Housekeeping, Rahan is the Butler Manager, and the chef is Ross( a Scot ) who is absolutely fabulous; IMHO the best we've had aboard SS ships. David Bilsland is aboard until San Juan and then he will go to the Cloud in Mali after a few days off and travel. Lawrence, the wine guy is also aboard. Civan from the Spirit is now the Head Sommalier (sp) and is still very energetic and entertaining. The M&M last evening was wonderful and the ship's crew did their usual outstanding job. Unfortunately, some folks didn't show up- their loss! Wes is the pic poster, so I won't post those- too complicated of a process for me, even though we have unlimited computer time. I know I'm rambling, but I'll post as I think of stuff. If you have questions just fire away. All for now! Have a great day!

so, computer keyboards rubbish (no caps or caps lock), but at least we finally have the library and the computers back after 4 days of disruption and wallpapering.

public areas have been re-carpeted, however deck four still has the old carpets and furnishings. deck 8 is great, a really good job, but he running rack on 9 has some new, cheap stuff installed, not very springy. giving up wih his crap keboard.

Edited by Silver Spectre
rubbish ss keboard

Thank you, Doug, for reporting in. i am going to be staying on Deck 4 for the very first time..as are my three friends in three cabins..so there will be four cabins including me on the TA in March. Do you think they will be replacing the carpet and sprucing up deck four any time soon, and, hopefully before my newbie pals sail?

I would be beyond thrilled if SS would change the bathtubs, on the Wind, to real showers. Is there any chatter about this?

Fingers crossed.

Please tell every one who knows how to post pix to do so. This would be the first time I would see Pix of renovations, on any of the fleet, in progress.

I lived thru the awful remodeling of the Boutiques on deck five..a crashing banging nightmare, so it would be lovely to see some work done which would be paying passenger friendly.

As an aside, it is wonderful to know that you and "Miss Lynn" are back on the high seas. Although we have never met, we have mutual SS friends.

Continued Bon Voyage... 🎉🎉🎉

We are in Gibraltar this morning. Partly cloudy and @ 67F at 0700. Should be a nice day. Unfortunately, light rain is forecast for Funchal when we arrive. To follow up on my ramblings, they did replace the mattresses in all of the suites. The refurb of the library/internet cafe looks really good IMHO. It also appears that they did some work on the wood grain paneling of the stateroom doors and surrounding areas, but I'll ask the HD to confirm that. Over all, I think the ship looks great for the older lady that she is. They refurbed of the dining rooms as well. More later.

Please enjoy a few more pictures from our Malaga market visit yesterday. Ida helped David get the best deal with her translating and negotiating skills in Spanish. David picked up a lobster and explained to us how to differentiate the sex of the lobster. At 6:15pm last nite Chef David hosted a culinary corner chock full of the Market treats (olives stuffed with almonds, Malaga cheese, fresh mushrooms, chorizo sausage and delish Iberico ham. Last picture is of the delish Cab (Caymus Special Select) we enjoyed with our Hot Rocks dinner last nite. Today we are in Gibraltar (Ida and Lynn will go shopping)I will enjoy a 5-7mile run before lunch. Will head down to library now to take some pix to be posted later. We have Le Champagne (French degustation menu) planned for tonight.c7ab67dac9c7e227e8d0d277434d6f5e.jpg86be0dde6305019b17e805271a0ee143.jpg1338d2778f8bafb5eb04f41b23d6cd4d.jpg

c16c8f3c498133b94169622a2871cacb.jpg

302e76d20896555d45b985bfe427f7a1.jpgbdfe80a6797fd6b774ee6bb4978eb283.jpg

Edited by WesW

I'm frustrated! Another post just went into ether space! Just a quicky. Talked to the HD and all of the wood grain paneling in all of the pax stateroom corridors( doors and the surrounding areas ) is, in fact, new. On deck 4 the stateroom hall carpeting was replaced, but the suite carpeting was only replaced in some of the Vista suites. All of the staterooms on decks 5 thru 8 got new carpeting. Believe me, you will find the ship with a total facelift and she looks great! Warm and sunny now in Gib with light breezes. Miss Lynn and lovely Ida are, of course, ashore shopping. There go the rest of my Euros. Wes is ashore for his usual 5 mile run. Hopefully, he will not get lost; Army guys usually do! And, Hi Ho, I'm off to see the wizard. Have a great day all!

Echo what Doug posts about the warm vibe on board the Wind and to help satisfy those who would like some pix of the refurb (new renovated internet point/library, new wall paper in the card room, new tile in La Terraza entry way pls see:324ff50204f9e5534d45c538f02bc8a3.jpgd8a474c63b938c99413e5084c6428ae5.jpg9b1613a497ce5dbe2b037517b2d40ff5.jpga62bed8245fc205005861ae5f27c800a.jpge66328a50387490057e9144557af1e72.jpgd3f8d7f4c7d881d27e455a253c57255e.jpg

Thank you, Doug, for reporting in. i am going to be staying on Deck 4 for the very first time..as are my three friends in three cabins..so there will be four cabins including me on the TA in March. Do you think they will be replacing the carpet and sprucing up deck four any time soon, and, hopefully before my newbie pals sail?

I would be beyond thrilled if SS would change the bathtubs, on the Wind, to real showers. Is there any chatter about this?

Fingers crossed.

Please tell every one who knows how to post pix to do so. This would be the first time I would see Pix of renovations, on any of the fleet, in progress.

I lived thru the awful remodeling of the Boutiques on deck five..a crashing banging nightmare, so it would be lovely to see some work done which would be paying passenger friendly.

As an aside, it is wonderful to know that you and "Miss Lynn" are back on the high seas. Although we have never met, we have mutual SS friends.

Continued Bon Voyage... 🎉🎉🎉

No official word on the bathtubs, but would be very surprised if they were to be changed now. Personally, we will not go back on the Cloud after the last set of changes, including removing the tubs, were made.

Nice day in Gib, good to see the UK flag flying, portraits of the Queen and the re-enactment marines marching through town to open the gates.

Nice sunset with green flash as we made our way out into the Atlantic this evening.

Thanks Bill--very easy to post pictures with apple products and Tapatalk app. Also, thanks Rachel will pass you nice complements on to Ida.

74746b3f9a321212fb374f998dc036bc.jpg wonderful evening on board the Silver Wind. We enjoyed a wonderful French meal in the French restaurant, Le Champagne. Please enjoy a few pictures of our wine/food.c821bf7b69677151a7965ea015c5819b.jpgf8dc3d2e4f459a7b2d506f3dbfb34cd8.jpg326d6ff4e632664c0b43c7ae281c5c39.jpgfe36d3e4b6112f76d22e8afde907f398.jpg

IMG_0416.JPG.326c705616ac327e88a3f4240197d5a7.JPG

Just testing tapatalk for posting images....

Photo of Vesuvius....

Will edit out if it lets me!

Useful tip Wes. I've always used online web hosting for images which all takes time and lots of clicks. Fingers crossed this works... here goes...

Ok it attached as a file but not shown in the post as an image... from what I can see.

Back to the drawing board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by les37b

Lovely gentle rolling out in the sea. Rocked us to sleep and now a new day!

We were able to stream the Michigan football game last night and the signal was good until the end of the third quarter. That's pretty amazing since we were off the coast of Africa in the ocean! We ordered a pizza and some wine and huddled around my iPad.

I have been told significant changes will be coming to the Internet, right now two companies are testing their wares for Silversea on two of the vessels. One is the Spirit. Data will be evaluated and a contract awarded at the end of the month. The object is to make everything significantly faster.

I can echo the sentiments posted by others. Delightful crew and staff.

The ship is very spiffy, as mentioned before our suite has been redone, i.e., carpet, headboard, drapes, new chairs and couch. Bathroom is the same and a bit of a challenge for DH as he is too tall for shower head. He has found a way to crouch in the bathtub and use the handheld shower. He isn't complaining, just not the ideal situation for him.

:-)

Les37b, thanks..very much prefer using Ipad and tapatalk to post pictures (turnkey) and saves at least 30 min each time we post pictures. Lose picture quality at nite especially, but so much easier than using third party web photo hosting site.

Jean, please do consider booking Silversea u won't be disappointed.

Karen, thank you, will pass you nice words along to Ida who is now with Doug and Lynn for Rumba lessons. I left after 30 min as Ida and have a pretty good Rumba routine.

This morning on board the Silversea Silver Wind we enjoyed a late morning cooking demonstration by L'Ecole des Chefs, Chef David Bilsland

Chef David demonstrated to about fifty guests how to prepare Ham Croquettes, Gambas al Ajillo (Prawns with Garlic), Picon Moorish Skewers and a Spanish Omelet. Please enjoy a few pictures as Chef David masterfully displays his cooking skills preparing these fabulously tasty dishes.d196a85153a0e2d6077e043101f29425.jpg18642e32489e6cb08492a8c6a6b4b76e.jpg9083f6b7099f34e7c228ae425bf88fe4.jpga7b0c05f7ef07ee18d5fa6e14f4c8ec2.jpg402fb7e559421026b11dc7611320e5f8.jpg

Edited by WesW

spinnaker2: Lovely gentle rolling out in the sea. Rocked us to sleep and now a new day! We were able to stream the Michigan football game last night and the signal was good until the end of the third quarter. That's pretty amazing since we were off the coast of Africa in the ocean! We ordered a pizza and some wine and huddled around my iPad. I have been told significant changes will be coming to the Internet' date=' right now two companies are testing their wares for Silversea on two of the vessels. One is the Spirit. Data will be evaluated and a contract awarded at the end of the month. The object is to make everything significantly faster. The ship is very spiffy, as mentioned before our suite has been redone, i.e., carpet, headboard, drapes, new chairs and couch. [/quote']

Appreciate the continued wonderful and varied pictures from Wes. BUT, the food pictures are making me hungry!! Loved the pictures from the Malaga market visit. Doing visits to markets in different parts of the world is such super interesting experiences.

From Spins, glad to hear that they are working on better Internet service. Candy mentioned the Michigan football. YES, the big, BIGGIE is coming up this Saturday in Columbus with Michigan visiting Ohio Stadium with nearly 109,000 people to be there, plus a national TV audience. Two "top four" teams clashing!! We are headed down to Charlottesville, Va., for Thanksgiving and the grandsons. Will probably watch the game from there.

Keep up the great sharing from this fine journey.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 161,302 views for this posting.

Les37b, thanks..very much prefer using Ipad and tapatalk to post pictures (turnkey) and saves at least 30 min each time we post pictures. Lose picture quality at nite especially, but so much easier than using third party web photo hosting site.

Just to clarify... I was saying posting as you have was a good tip.... I wasnt suggesting the way I do currently is better. (Just in case thats what you thought I was saying!) I need to test a bit more as posting direct just left the file.

Lovely gentle rolling out in the sea. Rocked us to sleep and now a new day!

We were able to stream the Michigan football game last night and the signal was good until the end of the third quarter. That's pretty amazing since we were off the coast of Africa in the ocean! We ordered a pizza and some wine and huddled around my iPad.

I have been told significant changes will be coming to the Internet, right now two companies are testing their wares for Silversea on two of the vessels. One is the Spirit. Data will be evaluated and a contract awarded at the end of the month. The object is to make everything significantly faster.

I can echo the sentiments posted by others. Delightful crew and staff.

The ship is very spiffy, as mentioned before our suite has been redone, i.e., carpet, headboard, drapes, new chairs and couch. Bathroom is the same and a bit of a challenge for DH as he is too tall for shower head. He has found a way to crouch in the bathtub and use the handheld shower. He isn't complaining, just not the ideal situation for him.

:-)

Streaming you say? Good grief.... At times you were lucky to get an email download! haha Sounds good. Have they said how long the tests would take before something permanent in place? (I guess its an unknown!) Well hopefully it'll be in place within the next 4 months. Being able to use the internet to make calls on my cell phone through wifi would be a real bonus.

Yes, the showers were a bit odd in the height department. From memory there were 2 shower heads and the higher one wasn't connected. Wasnt as you say, a big deal.