cruise 2633 Silver Wind TA

dougburns

abcbd5d7e6033db480e8f4ef2ca97847.jpg

Doug, Lynn, Ida and I having our pre cruise dinner at the Eurostars Gran Marina. We met two other cruise critic couples for cocktails before dinner. All of us look very forward to boarding the Wind tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi from JFK sky bar We are sitting outside watching planes and enjoying COOL air. Delightful! Next flight boards in 3 plus hours. See you soon.

Appreciate this update from Spins. Safe travel across the Atlantic, plus best wishes for the others joining this cruise. Look forward to lots of pictures and details as to your journey and the interesting port stops.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 160,553 views for this posting.

Safe flight spins - and enjoy your cruise. I'm very envious!

It was lovely watching the Wind arriving in Barcelona in April at 6am before sailing later that afternoon. It was warm then and great to watch and film. Not sure even I'd be too keen with current temperatures and a 5am arrival. Mind, if I were staying in the Eurostar Marina, I definitely would.

Enjoy.

Edited by les37b

7f3a5642c3ee41c9b70112dff7cbf153.jpg75be1582a032ab8400fd35b94bf5130b.jpga512ff1e3bcd5ceb77ba0beb9d8df968.jpg

Good morning from Barcelona, Spain. Wonderful surprise as we woke up walked out on our hotel balcony and there was our cruise ship berthed right next to our hotel, the Grand Marina. Doug, Lynn, Ida and look forward to boarding a just a couple of hours.

Thanks Terry, les37b, Rachel for your cruise well wishes. Candy, we look forward to seeing Larry and you on board soon.

Edited by WesW

Can't see any changes in the photos Wes posted. The green walkway is still there!! I guess the pool area decking was R.E.M. placed, but not possible to detect any changes.

You are probably all onboard now. I know I was on at 12 in Barcelona.

Good morning from Barcelona, Spain. Wonderful surprise as we woke up walked out on our hotel balcony and there was our cruise ship berthed right next to our hotel, the Grand Marina.

Wes,

We are taking the Wind TA from Barcelona next year and were considering this very hotel for the night before boarding. If you could indulge me I have a few questions:

1. Were you pleased with the hotel?

2. Can you recommend a room or grade of room that would give that fantastic view of the berth?

3. Is it a long journey from the airport?

4. Can you walk from the hotel to the ship directly?

Many thanks for any tips you can give.

J

Tothesunset, yes we strongly recommend, ask for a room in the front of the hotel (nice view of Barca), about 15-20 min drive from a/p. And for the first time in about two dozen cruises we walked less than 100 meters to the cruise terminal right out the hotel's front door.

Silver wind refurb update; during the two+ weeks refurb the Wind had softgood replacement that included rugs (pls see La Terraza new rugs pictured below), all suites now have new bedding; astroturf was replaced on the jogging track, and all the teak was replaced on the pool deck. Next event is our lifeboat party where we will be entertained by the rockstar Life Preserver :)5868258990d170c3392fdb95f9e9a7be.jpg2088294e2eaa98e7bdf4ed6f48e012cf.jpg60f574e5c09d72b0bbb5e3a4b73fbc6d.jpg5816e85c5dc5f428b45229d37feef0de.jpge36407dff3d305bacb3e074ce064882c.jpg

Edited by WesW

Thanks Wes.

I know they were forever sanding down the railings, so I'm guessing they just went to town on them a gave a real strong varnish. Yes the walking track probably did need some TLC. Carpets seemed fine in La Terazza to me.... but all newness welcome. :-)

Hopefully it's more noticeable whatever it is they've done in the suites. If you hadn't known the above you might not even have noticed.

Can't be long now

Tothesunset, yes we strongly recommend, ask for a room in the front of the hotel (nice view of Barca), about 15-20 min drive from a/p. And for the first time in about two dozen cruises we walked less than 100 meters to the cruise terminal right out the hotel's front door.

That's good enough for me. Suite reserved. Thanks and bon voyage!

Wes,

Just a quick note to say thanks for sharing pics of the ship. We've never sailed on the Wind, so appreciated the many different views you uploaded.

Now, on to the important issue at hand... what night will the duck pappardelle be served with Sassicaia? ;)

Have a great time!

Thanks Terry, les37b, Rachel for your cruise well wishes. Candy, we look forward to seeing Larry and you on board soon.

Appreciate and love the continued pictures and details from Barcelona, the Silver Wind, etc. Barcelona is one of our top "most favorite" cities. Although we have not been on the Silver Wind, the visuals look very similar to its sister ship, the Silver Cloud. Keep posting and sharing!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 205,260 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate and love the continued pictures and details from Barcelona, the Silver Wind, etc. Barcelona is one of our top "most favorite" cities. Although we have not been on the Silver Wind, the visuals look very similar to its sister ship, the Silver Cloud. Keep posting and sharing!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 205,260 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Brian, we nixed a super tuscan tonite for a full bodied tuscan 2010 Summus with our La Terraza specials (duck ragout main course) for

\ /me6c95cd7a8221463a4b05a3c918ae81c8.jpg

Edited by WesW

Brian, we nixed a super tuscan tonite for a full bodied tuscan 2010 Summus with our La Terraza specials (duck ragout main course) for me
Well done! Thx Wes.

Summus is a wine I hadn't heard of before. Had to go look it up. Pretty to cool to learn it's a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah and Sangiovese. Hope it was good!

Brian, we nixed a super tuscan tonite for a full bodied tuscan 2010 Summus with our La Terraza specials (duck ragout main course) for

\ /me6c95cd7a8221463a4b05a3c918ae81c8.jpg

Do not forget about the Lucceralli Italian wine that I had on the WIND having a glass now it is my 73rd

birthday today 10 more days we leave for Safari and CPT for a 35 day TA

on the Navigator

Give my best to Doug

Go Giants

I am so interested in this refurbishment. The Wind is a favorite, and I will be back on her for the crossing in the spring. I'll be traveling with three friends...all newbies who I have convinced to come with me. Thrilled she'll be freshened up for us!

More pix, please. And all details will be gratefully received..no detail too small!

Have a wonderful TA...And thank you!

Morning all.

Valencia is cool and crisp.

We arrived in Barcelona around 9:30 and after retrieving our ridiculously heavy bags and a short ride, on the ship about 10:30.

We are in a medallion suite. All carpets and drapes have been replaced,as have t

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Whoops somehow hit send.

As I was saying, carpets and drapes in our suite are new, new chairs and couch, desk chair new. I am told the mattress is new, but frankly I didn't notice as I was exhausted.

Love the muted mushroom colors of drapes and carpets, but being new, they are shedding fuzz and fumes. I am severely allergic and having trouble in the suite.

I am not sure there is a remedy for me other than keeping the doors open or vacating the suite as much as possible.

Had the pleasure of seeing Ida and Wes and Lynn and Doug. All look terrific and well rested!

I have been told the vessel is 70% full, and almost 40 pax stayed aboard in BCN for the TA.

Tonight is formal night, we will dine in La Terrazza.

Adios all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We enjoyed a spectacular lunch in The Restaurant, hosted by Doug and Lynn for their special guests Jeff & Michelle. Please enjoy a few pictures of our group, Ross (Xchef, came by our table to say hello). Our wine pairings included a very nice australian chard for our shrimp cocktail and lobster bisque, then we had one of the top three comp wines I've ever had on Silversea a Spanish Rioja (Azmeola). Our desert, was simply sinful. We have formal nite tonight and are joining Doug and Lynn at the CD's (Colin Brown) table.727f6a1242dc6e42530781a5814e2f74.jpg18de8b60a602803e35c3d71c6bd10980.jpgf3554d8a1f78be519eb4d8c8ebaa5aa8.jpg5ba8d280344937476be7cc3825d7e735.jpg2f7a0b21bd9fafcc8017350cd1d8e706.jpg486599d226e0c0ca9df52c6f01b3c2bc.jpg

Edited by WesW

Tonight the first of our three formal nites on board the Silversea Silver Wind. We began with the Wind's Captain (Marco Sangiacomo) and Cruise Director (Colin Brown) introducing the Wind's senior officers. Colin let us know we have 221 guests on board with 222 staff. Also, shown is Ida and Wes in their formal finery. We then joined the Cruise Director in the Main Restaurant for dinner with Doug and Lynn and one more invited guest. Ida I and then enjoyed entertainment provided by virtuoso soloist Byron Johnston who presented a very entertaining, "Appassionata de la Guitarra,"279de8684a10d931ae3388af237e18ad.jpg2de4f33293a9ac827ebf0aac65ade96f.jpg2d760c0a29b5ceeb1c1fb99f04d9954b.jpg