cruise 2633 Silver Wind TA

dougburns

Rolled our way into Funchal overnight, arriving to find the rain has gone and a very pleasant, sunny day awaited. Great market visit with Chef David, highlights being the rum based fruit drink and watching tomorrow's fish dinner being expertly filleted.

Edited by Silver Spectre

Rolled our way into Funchal overnight, arriving to find the rain has gone and a very pleasant, sunny day awaited. Great market visit with Chef David, highlights being the rum based fruit drink and watching tomorrow's fish dinner being expertly filleted.

Appreciate these continued fun and interesting updates. That market visit and the food/drink options sound great. Look forward to seeing more pictures being posted and shared. Hint, hint to Spins??!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 161,378 views for this posting.

Today, we had another fabulous Market visit with Chef David here in Funchal. Please enjoy a few pix of today's visit, even one of Ida and Mr. Silver toasting their good fortune. We have another cruise critic party tonite in the Observation Lounge (yes our grp likes to party:)), even Capt. Sangiacomo will visit). Doug, Lynn, Ida and I will then have dinner in the Restaurant with ChefDavid, tho we will meet in the Bar and have a wonderful martini Doug turnedus on to last nite, "the Vesper." Ida is now in Funchal helping a new friend by a 120inch hand sewn table cloth for his family holiday dinner table. Am now off for my last run on land (as we have seven seadays befor arriving in San Juan a week from now). Funchal is a runner's paradise--pix to follow later.

"d24baf4b410388deb29ca56673f64a23.jpg

63f9533bd8f9dda13db8787d4ae36634.jpg67c751d2dbb71ac520bf54f9fe351e5a.jpg1b58ec41c5c8ab6841dad0f562445acf.jpgfa574c21c749159bedc9914c10c3ca63.jpg

Edited by WesW

Yesterday we had a nice day in Funchal. The forecasters were wrong again. We did have a brief afternoon shower, but nothing of any consequence. After departure last evening we had another M&M; this time in the Observation Lounge. The HD set it up and we had a very good turnout with almost all of the ship's officers there as well. The only problem was that we were rockin and rollin pretty good. Wes, Ida, Lynn and I had dinner with David Bilsland in the Restauant- a good time with lots of laughs. However, the ship got hit by a rouge swell shortly into dinner and everything went flying. Last night was bumpy due to a starboard wind at @ 40 knots, but we seem to be coming out of it this morning. Hopefully, we'll have a few days with calmer weather now. The ship and crew continue to excel !

Concur with Doug, crew continues to excel! Meet and mingle was lovely.

We were among the hardy souls at The Grill last night. Several large swells caused glasses and dinnerware to be projectiles. Several pax left early with wine adornments on their clothing.

We stayed and watched the pool erupt into spray.

Returning to our suite we discovered that glass also went flying. After securing everything we snuggled into our comfy bed and listened to the wind howling and watched the white capped waves. Very hard to keep footing, but all is good.

Another great day!

Also agree it was a great M&M, the restaurant staff were excellent last night, dealing with major breakage of glass, bottles and plates, and still got service out. The Voices coped with the rolling stage and put out a performance. Rough overnight and still rolling this morning. Having fun!

Concur with Doug, Candy, and Mr. Silver, the Silver Wind leadership hosted a marvelous, well attended Silversea/Cruise Critic meet & mingle get together in the Wind's observation lounge. Please enjoy a few pictures from last nite's meet & mingle below. Notably almost all of the Wind ship's leaders attended.

Doug, Lynn, Ida, Chef David and I then closed the party as the last grp to leave and headed for the Restaurant for a delightful dinner--we paired our delish dinner with an outstanding Italian Red by Antinori, Guado di Tasso.345b914bd006e97cc906391dda64bb36.jpgc52df99de3dc6ffb2e40224ae0bd0078.jpg885e4f9729038406baf8bbe4aed6b6f7.jpg8e7d10b01c324778f3319f70d183db2e.jpgf6985c03b65feb3db6b3d621b2acd233.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This morning we had another culinary demonstration presented with Silversea culinary trainer David Bilsland. David highlighted for us a Taste of Madeira (Portugal) featuring Black Scabbard Fish, Chicken Livers, and Madeira Cake (paired with Blandy's port). Please, enjoy a few pictures from today's culinary highlight below. Ida and I had a delightful lunch with Doug and Lynn in La Terraza (Silver Wind lunch restaurant). Then Ida and I headed for afternoon ballroom dance class. Tonight we will have dinner in the Restaurant and have the Black Scabbard fish as our main course.dd96ce4eec75fd3086b9fc013ca900df.jpg33dec469fa8bc4e052b0dce3d3e3f687.jpgb42ba978397ad14aa71dc1b83ec613cd.jpg9cd8093347cd7dd1d28cc2335a0b130c.jpgb5ddfe8537adcd102d2830d59069ec1d.jpg

Tried David's Black Scabbard with fried banana at the end of his cooking demo and the fish was a little like lemon sole, and tasted way better than it looked, the banana and sauce were very nice.

The official bridge tournament started today, 9 full tables and well hosted by Gerry and Steve, 6 more days to go.

Still a little rough but getting better.

Looking forward to dinner in Le Champagne this evening.

Much smoother this morning with a following wind. They even filled the pool for Wes to have his swim. Tonight is formal and Venetian Society. Wes,Ida, Miss Lynn and I have dinner with the captain tonight as well. Don't know how the hurricane in the western Caribbean will affect us, but it should be pretty much out of our way by the time we reach PR. Scattered rain showers this AM, but nice temp and smooth ride, so what's to complain about? Have a great day all!

Happy Thanksgiving from the Silver Wind.

Last nite was Formal nite on board the Silver Wind somewhere on the Atlantic Ocean enroute to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. We we're invited to share dinner with the Silver Wind's Captain, Marco Sangiocomo along with special friends Doug and Lynn and another couple Sherryl and John. We then adjourned to the Panorama lounge where another passenger took over the piano and proceeded to play a medley of classics that enthralled us all.

Now its off to the pool deck for another culinary demonstration with Chef David. We then have an ice cream social, dance class, yoga in otherworldly a delightful seaday on board the Wind.

Tonight it is thanksgiving dinner in the Restaurant.

us all.868005ecef9311f4fc8425cfdf37232c.jpg

9cab6e4d674aec45d38399c2c121024a.jpg

4c159b4ca5a194e3eb228f87ee8cbfae.jpg

bbafa86d5b60eced26e0dd3e0690bab6.jpg

Edited by WesW

Happy Thanksgiving all from the middle of the Atlantic! This ship definitely does not ride like the Silver Spirit, but then the Spirit is the best of the best as far as ride goes. There was just enough motion last night that dancing wasn't much of an option, so we had a good old fashioned laughathon(8 of us) in the Panorama Lounge. One of our adopted pax(Bob) played the piano and sang with the rest of us singing along(old songs from the 50s, 60s and 70s). What a hoot! Closed the place down @ midnight(primarily a geriatric group of pax aboard) and a good time was had by all( Wes got some pics which he may post). Dinner with the Captain was really nice. The formal nights aboard are dinner dance formals, although we didn't dance( respect to the captain). Today the wind is up a bit, but the skies are basically clear and the temp is in the mid 70s. Not much emphasis on turkey day with SS, but we will have a turkey dinner with many other dishes for those of another vent. We give thanks this day for the many blessings we have received and for our wonderful country, the good old USA!

Does anyone know if Albert and Egbert are still onboard with you in the bar? I know Albert said he was off home in November, so I'm guessing he probably left in Barcelona? (His name cropped up in another thread - role call next March)

Egbert is certainly aboard. If by Albert you mean one of the butlers

I don't know. I'll ask our butler about it. We had a butler named

Albert on our crossing on this ship earlier this year.

Many thanks.

Albert was the head barman. so I suspect he must have disembarked in Barcelona.

Just thought of another couple of things to ask! The multimedia upgrade mentioned... what exactly was it? I'm guessing on demand movie streaming to the TV sets. Has the wifi improved good enough to be able to Skype? I'm guessing download speeds have improved but upload will still be poor? Would be good to know as my cell phone company does use wifi calls which is free. I'm guessing data and calls from the Caribbean for us Brits will cost a fortune!

Edited by les37b

Les

No on demand movie stream to tv, as on the Spirit. Wifi has been hard wired, but new service not yet implemented, so it's far from good. They are still testing service on two other vessels in the fleet. From reports on the Spirit, wifi not good either. I haven't tried to Skype.

Today it's warm, humid and we are getting tropical vibe.

Beautiful sea day.

Now at 25.37N 42.00W and about half way across. Day 4 of the fierce bridge tournament looms, 38 participants. Apart from a brief shower last night it was balmy on the Grill.

Awful conclusion to the lecture by Sir Alistair McDuff (retired judge) yesterday, after being indiscreet about Her Majesty, rude about Tory politicians, he then took the p**s out of an American President on Thanksgiving Day.

We enjoyed another cooking demonstration yesterday with L'Ecole des Chefs, Chef David. He prepared chorizo burgers, and grilled salmon among other BBQ treats. Please enjoy a few pix below

Last nite we enjoyed a happy Thanksgiving on board the Silver Wind. We enjoyed roasted turkey in the Restauant and a special thanks to Spinnaker2 for sending a fabulously delicicious "chocolate bomb" to our table for desert. WE then headed to the Panorama Lounge on the Silver Wind. Two seasoned retired Navy Captains are leading the song charge with "you've lost that loving feeling". A wonderful thanksgiving evening where we are counting our blessings.368b8a9507602d36db12220be5800767.jpg67055713483e62ecf23b2cc1021f1ad6.jpg4bc2cef7222f6161a8654958f0834121.jpge0232ccc81325fe70759d53dfabae7fd.jpg99e44715488c8e7a58bf557cf6cb3f24.jpg

Now at 25.37N 42.00W and about half way across. Day 4 of the fierce bridge tournament looms, 38 participants. Apart from a brief shower last night it was balmy on the Grill.

Awful conclusion to the lecture by Sir Alistair McDuff (retired judge) yesterday, after being indiscreet about Her Majesty, rude about Tory politicians, he then took the p**s out of an American President on Thanksgiving Day.

How rude and ill-mannered. I hope you voice your opinion in several ways so he is not retained again by Silversea.

I echo the sentiments already expressed. I hope you and others talk to the HD and CD to voice your dissatisfaction with Sir McDuff.