Cruising to South America on the Zaandam : A pictorial review

scubacruiserx2

I have noticed that the On Locations have a date of Dec 1, 2013 and Dec 2, 2013. Should I conclude that this wasn't a recent cruise?

I would, as the photos are also dated 2013, and the ship has been in Alaska since last spring.

I have noticed that the On Locations have a date of Dec 1, 2013 and Dec 2, 2013. Should I conclude that this wasn't a recent cruise?

I would, as the photos are also dated 2013, and the ship has been in Alaska since last spring.

Anybody who has read any of our travelogue threads know that they move at the speed of molasses , on a winter day . But my hunt and peck style works great at dial up speed !

In fact , I'm still writing about our Baltic Cruise from June on the Celebrity Eclipse !!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2372103 :) :D

Anybody who has read any of our travelogue threads know that they move at the speed of molasses , on a winter day . But my hunt and peck style works great at dial up speed !

In fact , I'm still writing about our Baltic Cruise from June on the Celebrity Eclipse !!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2372103 :) :D

Thanks for sharing. I'm booked for the reverse of this in 2017. We missed P. Montt, Falklands, and Ush when we did Antarctica. So it's the cruise of unfinished business for me. I really want to see Petrohue. Can I ask who the tour operator was?

And I still have a ton of video to be processed from our last Alaska trip - in 2010! We were new with video and took looooooong scenes.:eek: we've since learned and reformed our ways, but that still leaves me with a huge task of "chunking down" into small VALUABLE clips before they can be assembled. (Did I mention that was a 14 day trip?)

(I guess the upside is once I get done, the entertainment value of that trip will be incredible if one calculates it as: cost of trip in dollars/ number of hours on trip + number of hours in video post production.);)

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Thanks for sharing. I'm booked for the reverse of this in 2017. We missed P. Montt, Falklands, and Ush when we did Antarctica. So it's the cruise of unfinished business for me. I really want to see Petrohue. Can I ask who the tour operator was?

And I still have a ton of video to be processed from our last Alaska trip - in 2010! We were new with video and took looooooong scenes.:eek: we've since learned and reformed our ways, but that still leaves me with a huge task of "chunking down" into small VALUABLE clips before they can be assembled. (Did I mention that was a 14 day trip?)

(I guess the upside is once I get done, the entertainment value of that trip will be incredible if one calculates it as: cost of trip in dollars/ number of hours on trip + number of hours in video post production.);)

We are sorry to hear that you missed some ports . The weather is very changeable sometimes and we were very blessed with ours .

We used Turismo Nuevo Mundo for Puerto Montt last time .

I also tend to take long videos and don't know how to edit , and so I now limit the clips unless it's a song or something similar . :) :D

The volcano is a perfectly shaped cone and dominates the landscape. Visible from the ship in port , it acts as a magnet drawing and locking the visitor's gaze. We had hoped to see the summit which is almost always obscured by clouds and had eluded us thus far. I happened to glance up for a second and there it was !

IMG_8778-002_zps31be571d.jpg

We began the long assent and about half way up we noticed something in the road . The mist was rising up from the road and getting thicker by the second. We were enveloped by a cloud with wind and rain. " It will be cold and windy" our guide informed us , we took that for a sign that we were close . Back and forth , left and right our driver seemed to know every twist and turn. Good thing for us because we were blind. After what seemed like an eternity we heard " we are here". Opening the sliding door she announced " its snowing ". We were like a couple of kids again stopping at the snowman before entering the lodge .

IMG_0489-001_zps5109c39f.jpg

The hot chocolate ( and warm interior ) was wonderful .

IMG_0492-001_zps0c64ce7a.jpg

The ski lift wasn't working but I lifted this picture from the internet

http://www.snow-forecast.com/pistemaps/VolcanOsorno_pistemap.jpg

We were informed that lunch was waiting and we were off again ! After we cleared the cloud we made a brief stop at an outlook.

IMG_0498-001_zps7842dd75.jpg

Loved the wildflowers

IMG_0521-001_zps82a67842.jpg

The road down

L1090321-001_zpsaeba0707.jpg

Our lunch was in The Latitude 42 Restaurant at The Yan Kee Way Lodge. We first tried this place in 2007 and loved it. We didn't realize that the price of the lunch had been included with our tour so it was a pleasant surprise when we found out. The lodge has an interesting , eclectic décor.

IMG_0537-001_zps65c00979.jpg

Unfortunately , the carved tree had seen 7 winters since our last visit and some of the beautiful images had lost their original splendor.

IMG_0524-001_zps6e62917c.jpg

Here is the story of the carved tree

http://www.southernchilexp.com/_CHILE_Hotel_and_Lodging/YAN_KEE_WAY_LODGE/Yan_Kee_Way_Spa/Sculptured_Tree/sculptured_tree.html

The restaurant sits on the lake

IMG_0538-001_zps69021a20.jpg

The view of the lake and the volcano was the same (but my wife's hair color had changed from dark - to snow white ! ).

IMG_0528-001_zps110b4c21.jpg

And the food ! - first was a local seafood and chorizo soup. Delicious and HUGE. We asked the guide and driver why they were not eating and they said that they could never finish it all. They also informed us that time was becoming an issue.

L1090325-001_zps6a538fdc.jpg

Taking a cue , we moved on to the main. All of the ingredients are caught or grown locally , and they taste that way . Next up was Salmon with berries and

they were as good as any I ever have eaten before !

L1090327-001_zpsef6f8ce2.jpg

For wine I chose a tinto (red) of their choice. It was perfect but we were told by the guide that we had to go. We had finished our main but the chef was concerned that we would miss dessert so he came to our table to talk to us and show us a picture of the dessert on his smart phone. We thanked him for a great meal , and requested a box to go ( being good Americans ). It seemed like a shame to put his work into a box but we enjoyed a special taste of Chile on the ship.

Next: The perfect storm

We had to cut lunch short to make it back to the ship for the last tender at 4 pm. If I had one gripe - it would be time compression. The scheduled time in Puerto Montt was 8am - 5pm. With last tender time @ 4 pm and a tender ride from ship to shore , the time ashore is diminished considerably. Anyway , while ashore I tried to make an ATM withdrawal and noticed that my card was missing. We had left some jewelry , money, ATM and charge cards in the safe. Upon our return a through search revealed a missing ATM card. I had last used it in the Santiago airport 60 hours earlier . We went to the ship's desk to explain and request a phone call to our bank. They seated us at a desk informing us that there was only 1 phone line available and to try it periodically. It took more than 30 minutes for the line to open and during that time we noted another passenger on the phone at the desk . We surmised that she had been using the line and as soon as she hung up we had an open line. 50 minutes later we had our answer and had answered many questions . A thief had a shopping spree and had withdrawn / charged $ 6500 in one day ! :mad: :mad:

I'm usually very careful and don't usually check my balances online while traveling. Since we had nothing to lose from our bank account we went online to document our losses . Seeing the other couple at the internet café , we shared our tales of woe . When they were having lunch in Puerto Montt she had left her handbag hanging on the back of her chair to use the restroom. A thief grabbed and dashed - leaving her husband in the dust. My mistake was impatiently getting money at an ATM while my wife went to the ladies room. I usually like to have both of us work together when getting money. Lack of sleep didn't help . I thought that I had secured my card , but I was wrong. Being at sea for a couple of days meant that I didn't notice it right away . There was nothing that we could do at this point so we vowed to have the best time that we could under the circumstances. We hoped ( and prayed ) that the bank could recover our money and trusted them to take care of it. Several long days latter , they did and credited

our money back to our account. We would like to thank Holland America for their help and for not charging us for the long distance phone call. I must say that Holland America has become our favorite cruise line and we have been on quite a few cruises . Please be very careful when traveling. Work together while paying or withdrawing money. Check your accounts . We were concerned that our banking information could be stolen online but as this point I feel better checking it frequently while at sea .

Next port: Isla Chiloe

We had found a tour on the internet for Chiloe and knew that we would be sharing the tour with others. We were up early to catch the first tender and while we waited , we talked with Daniel and Sarah. As it turns out they were booked on the same Holland America tour that we were on in Punta Arenas - Torres del Paine. As we chatted , we soon found out that we had a lot in common. They had not booked anything for the day so we suggested that they check with our guide to see if there was additional seats available. There were so we slid in the mini bus to wait for the others. Soon we were off and running.

IMG_3353-002_zpsd076f12b.jpg

With the tide out it was obvious why we had to use tenders.

P1050674-001_zps67f10bb6.jpg

Here is the ramp that you will walk up. The picture quality is low because of the overcast conditions and the pocket camera that I used to take these.

P1050675-001_zps2f5ad384.jpg

As we left Castro , we could see that the land was lush and green and hilly and reminded of Sao Miguel in the Azores . At our first stop I observed the kind of scale shake siding that we had seen in Norway when we visited in September.

IMG_0547-001_zpsd8d7e6d0.jpg

It could also be seen in this church that we walked past.

IMG_0550-001_zpsfa89a559.jpg

As we settled in for a long ride to the Parque Nacional Chiloe , our guide begin to share some information about Isla Chiloe.

Rather than bore the reader with the details we will move on to the visuals. If you care to read about Chiloe , a good link is found here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilo%C3%A9_Archipelago

We would be walking the Sendero El Tepua trail through the lowland rain forest.

IMG_0587-001_zps319a33ee.jpg

While unimpressive in a close-up the Chilean Firebush put on an impressive show roadside while we were riding to the park.

IMG_0585-001_zps45e20692.jpg

There is a walk across the flatlands to reach the forest.

IMG_0616-001_zps380009e6.jpg

It looks a little like The Beatles Abbey Road album cover.

Most of the walk through the forest has a walk way.

IMG_0612-001_zps729c9afe.jpg

To me , the forest seems more like a jungle ( and I know jungles because we live in one ) . Complete with ferns

IMG_0627-001_zpsd3aed2f7.jpg

and birds

IMG_0639-001_zps94fe2a9c.jpg