Are you prepared to disembark in an emergency?

bbappel

This is a follow-up to my "Celebrity Shows Its Strength" post. I'm inviting those who have been forced to disembark due to a medical emergency and those who are highly organized and sensible to contribute to this thread.

What did you do? How do you wish you had prepared? Did it go smoothly?

What would you do? How would you prepare?

My idea is to prevent the kind of panic I felt due to my need to pack the cabin with the help of room stewards and find the important papers and all that while my husband couldn't help me. [Celebrity handled their part wonderfully but I was not a calm, cool, fall-apart-later person. I was crumbling then and there. Always thought I was an independent woman, I've got to work on that.] Our emergency turned out not to be at all serious but at the time, I didn't know that.

Things I wish I had or did have:

• Passports in the safe, ready to go
  • Medications in a bag, ready to go
  • Lists of regular medications for each person
  • Emergency phone numbers (health insurance, travel insurance, doctors at home, the port agents)
  • Where everything you've unpacked is located in the cabin (maybe a list? photos?)
  • An organized list of the private excursions you have planned with the phone numbers for the people you are with (I didn't have this and wasn't sure what I could do to deal with the excursion and transfer I had planned if we didn't continue). Not everyone reads Cruise Critic Roll Calls when they are on board.
  • I was just hoping we would be back on the ship by the next port or so if not that night.
  • A guide book with simple phrases in the languages of the ports. Amusingly, I did do this for the Roll Call, but I never printed it for myself and in an emergency, you can't go fooling around with your computer. I'm printing these lists soon to add to our Next Cruise file.

What would you do?

Thanks,

Beth

This is a follow-up to my "Celebrity Shows Its Strength" post. I'm inviting those who have been forced to disembark due to a medical emergency and those who are highly organized and sensible to contribute to this thread.

My idea is to prevent the kind of panic I felt due to my need to pack the cabin with the help of room stewards and find the important papers and all that while my husband couldn't help me. [Celebrity handled their part wonderfully but I was not a calm, cool, fall-apart-later person. I was crumbling then and there. Always thought I was an independent woman, I've got to work on that.] Our emergency turned out not to be at all serious but at the time, I didn't know that.

• Emergency phone numbers (health insurance, travel insurance, doctors at home, the port agents)
  • Where everything you've unpacked is located in the cabin (maybe a list? photos?)
  • An organized list of the private excursions you have planned with the phone numbers for the people you are with (I didn't have this and wasn't sure what I could do to deal with the excursion and transfer I had planned if we didn't continue). Not everyone reads Cruise Critic Roll Calls when they are on board.
  • I was just hoping we would be back on the ship by the next port or so if not that night.
  • A guide book with simple phrases in the languages of the ports. Amusingly, I did do this for the Roll Call, but I never printed it for myself and in an emergency, you can't go fooling around with your computer. I'm printing these lists soon to add to our Next Cruise file.

What would you do?

Thanks,

Beth

Ditto to everything Drives Like Mario said. I have the passports in the safe (but next cruise I will enter the combination onto my phone!) med lists, health history and providers and credit card info already on my phone. I have the good fortune to be fluent in one other language and comfortable in two others but I just downloaded a google translation app that works both ways (free) in hundreds of languages. I will enter all of my shore excursions and X numbers into my phone as soon as we board....and I will bring a local guide book from now on.

Thank you for the wake up call, Beth. I'm glad your emergency wasn't as bad as it seemed....but you've performed a public service for all of us!

Edited by Hydrokitty

Put all the lists on your phone. You can access documents on your phone then you don't need as many printed lists. I have photos or documents of our passports (helped once in Europe to get the VAT discount when I didn't have my passport with me...) and our meds and our travel insurance policy, itinerary...

All of those things sound good. I almost think you've answered your own question.

Although we've never had to "evacuate" a ship due to emergency, I think we should all always be prepared. That goes for at home too, not just on a ship or in a hotel room away from home. A little pre-planning and sticking with a consistent plan is important, at least in terms of being able to find things quickly and deal with unplanned events.

Neatness counts, at least in my world. If things are kept uncluttered and consistently in the same place, then it make everything else easier. And eliminates the need for "hunting" or panicking about not finding something important. I admit I am hard-wired this way, and I grew up in a family where clutter was the norm, so I do understand it's a chore for many.

We keep a list of our meds on a card in our wallet but also photos of the actual meds on a photo on the phone. This isn't just for traveling. This is for always. The actual meds are packed in a little zippered case. One of those lightweight travel zippered organizers that come in sets. Keeps the suitcase neat too ;)

We have a specific spot for passports in our home and for our important papers. We both know where these things are.

When we travel we have less stuff, but they remain in the safe (or in my suitcase in a hotel if no safe) - anything important stays there, unless it's on our person. So no searching needed.

I have a purse that is cross-body, and completely RFID-safe, and has lots of lock-able zippered pockets and places for cards and money, and it could easily hold all our meds, just drop the "medicine carry case" in. (Pac Safe is the brand)

I have a second little case that packs right with the prescription stuff. It has contingency meds - I carry an antibiotic (just in case), pain relievers, and cough meds, and things for upset stomach, etc. and bandages. Often that case is never opened but if we need it we are set. It's part of my be-prepared mentality. If I need to tame a cough I don't want to have to go shopping. I want it available NOW.

All the meds and contingency meds and papers and important things are always in my carry-on when I travel.

I would say the most important thing of all would be to remain calm and move with purpose and assertiveness, but not in a panicked way.

I do hope you don't have to deal with an emergency while traveling again but if you do - that you'll feel more prepared.

What would you do?

Thanks,

Beth

Beth,

I have been doing all these things for the past six years. It is not hard to do.

I keep a file for the cruise/trip with all such information. Also, I create a document will reservation numbers, hotel and tour phone numbers and emails. Before we leave on a cruise I email all our family member with emergency phone numbers and more covering every day of our trip.

Beth,

I have been doing all these things for the past six years. It is not hard to do.

I keep a file for the cruise/trip with all such information. Also, I create a document will reservation numbers, hotel and tour phone numbers and emails. Before we leave on a cruise I email all our family member with emergency phone numbers and more covering every day of our trip.

I do that too, but I really never thought about having to leave the ship in a medical emergency....OP was an eye opener for me and like you, we've traveled a lot.

Agree with everything posted above. I also print the calendar from your X account and add other important info. Use a suction cup clip to keep all documents, attach to mirror. Use pop up hampers in closet for dirty clothes, on longer trips, transfer dirties to suitcase, when hamper is full. Keep calm by focusing on one task at a time. I have had similar experience but sadly not with a good outcome. But life goes on and I am continuing to enjoy life and cruising.

Thanks for the comments. I do hope this helps others in this situation. I feel like I should have known to prepare for something, since we are both over 70. But we feel fine, so we don't think about it.

It will be my goal to get this part of our life organized. I'm like ClaudiaB in that I grew up in a cluttered environment, but not like her in that I continued the practice, to my dismay. I've been improving after retirement but still have a very long way to go. My husband tends to be the organizer. Oddly enough, I'm really good at organizing computer stuff for Roll Calls. Thank you Claudia for not making me feel bad because I'm not so good at this. You resisted the temptation to be "holier than though" and that is really really helpful, because those of us who are cluttered don't want to be, but can't get it together to change.

I used my phone (I have a 4s iPhone) for some things, and fortunately had activated it to use in Europe. Some people don't do that and it can cause problems. One problem with everything being on the phone was that I hadn't paid attention to how charged it was. Luckily there was enough for most of the phone calls. I will see if we can store some of this info on my husband's phone since his is password protected. Mine isn't. I'm going to try to put most of these suggestions into practice.

Thanks again.

Beth

Edited by bbappel

We had to do this once. Luckily it was our last port of call, St Thomas.

It also meant that we would not be rejoining the trip.always travel with your latest test results!!! My husband had had bypass surgery a few years before and has a somewhat unusual EKG. When he went for something totally unrelated the doctor decided to do an EKG and immediately decided he had to go to the hospital because he didn't like the EKG. We did not have a choice. If the doctor had been able to see his previous EKG he could have seen there was no change. I always keep all info about reservations, insurance and such in a plastic folder and passports in the safe.

Celebrity had five stewards and butlers pack our stuff in 10-12 minutes.

BTW, when we arrived at the hospital they couldn't understand why we were sent there. But Celebrity and the Port Agent were great in helping get a hotel and transportation.

I email our itinerary and phone numbers, etc for each excursion to myself, along with a copy of my passport, DL, and credit cards (front and back), along with a scanned copy of my travel insurance policy and my latest medical tests (cardiomyopathy). When we get to the cabin, I put my passport, medications and cash in a large zip lock in the safe. Easy to grab it and go.I have a silky tote that hangs on a metal hook I take on board. It would be easy to dump the stuff into this. With the information I've emailed to myself and my zip lock bag, I think I'd be ok and would be ready to leave in a matter of only a couple of minutes. I pack my things in the x-tra large zip locks and put them in the zip locks in the drawers and shelves. My suitcase would only need to be pulled out and the zip locks thrown in, then the few pieces on hangers just lay of the top. Toiletries stay in zip locks ready to take into the bathroom so they would just toss in the luggage too. Dirty clothes go into a ziplock and I use a Sharpie to place a BIG X on the outside of the zip locks when dirty clothes are put into them, so no problem with having to wonder about them and they aren't soiling or smelling up the other clothes.

Beth, it never even occurred to me to write anything but my own experience, so I'm glad it came out as helpful and not judgmental. Obviously it was good question because it stirred good discussion here. I wish you nothing but good and safe and healthy travels in the future.

My neighbor's husband died on the bus on the way back to the ship. They had just been up to Macchu Picchu when he keeled over dead! Fortunately they had taken a precaution that is so important in the event of such unexpected events. They had taken out cruise insurance.

Another thing, she told me was that the cruise line (Holland American) bent over backward to help her with Peruvian rules about what to do when someone dies in that country.

It must have been a long cruise because about two weeks later, we drove our neighbor to Fort Lauderdale to meet the ship when it came in. She had been olbliged to leave all her belongings on board. Two officers met us. All her luggage had been packed by someone on the ship. She was very worried about her jewelry but not a thing was missing! Also she had a big box with all kinds of bottles of alcohol in it. I was amazed because I'm not sure ships let you have a private stash like that now.

Anyway, I was so impressed with how Holland American handled everything. But I am telling this story to demonstrate that disasters can happen on a cruise even on excursions or tours and all your best laid preparations may not help you in such an instance. Just be sure to have travel insurance.

Just want to add this caveat. It is not always illness that will cause you to have to leave the cruise early. It could be an injury. I've seen that happen to passengers on several cruises. It doesn't really matter what age you are.

Every passenger from a toddler to a ninety year old can have an injury on a ship. I fractured my ankle once falling up (yes, up) the stairs on Jewel of the Seas and my sister fractured her wrist falling off a curb in St Thomas just outside Freedom of the Seas.

Many years ago, we had to return home before even getting to the ship, as a result of a fall and associated broken bone in our London hotel shower the morning before the ship was scheduled to leave.

While I had time to pack our luggage, re-arrange flights home, etc, the lesson I learned was to make certain you know both the brand and the Generic name of any medications and what their functions are.

While my mom had her last EKG and a list of her meds with her, she only had their brand name and dosage/dosage schedule. I work in healthcare and knew which was a statin, which was a calcium channel blocker, etc. Since it was a broken bone, I was calm, had it been more serious I doubt I would have been composed.

Having the generic name, and function, i.e., calcium channel blocker or beta blocker, etc were immediately understood and no delay to check on line for brand names from another country was necessary. This also helped the medical team ensure that any pain or other medication was not contra-indicated.

I never thought of taking photos of the pill next to the pill bottle - thank you for that excellent suggestion! I actually came over to this board because we are considering Celebrity for our next cruise and came upon this post.

May we all have safe and healthy cruises.

I put all important documents, wallets, and jewelry in a quart plastic zip lock and place it in the safe. In case of emergency, all I would have to do is grab the bag.

The other thing I do is keep, and pack in the "safe" bag, the drug information sheets and extra receipt labels that my pharmacy places with my perscriptions.

It is interesting how the OP's original thread caused others to think "what would I do in the same circumstances?". I had the same thoughts. Perhaps it is because, in this case, everything turned out so well.

It certainly gave me pause for thought because we travel with four large cases and two carry-ons. That is a lot of packing at short notice! When I reflected on that, I reasoned that one case with essentials would be enough. In an emergency, how long it took for the rest to be reunited with us would be the least of my concerns.

Otherwise, I would be thankful for my normal organised self. Our medications, with a copy of our prescriptions, are kept in a plastic box in the same place on every cruise. Although I portion our daily requirements, my husband knows where this box is. So we are OK there.

Passports (together with credit cards, cash and most valuables)are always kept in the safe. My husband is not allowed to touch the safe (at home or on a cruise - or anything remotely "technology") because he has broken far too many. ("Breaking" an airline seat controls before take off and almost resulting in the flight being cancelled was the final straw.) However, he knows the combination and could open it in an emergency. So another OK.

I deal with all the paperwork. My husband just looks on and says "do we really need all that for a cruise?". I keep everything - including travel insurance and a list of any address we may need in the case of emergency a well as the notes from my only emergency admission to hospital (thankfully not while travelling) - in those lightweight plastic pocket binders available from office suppliers. It is all in order, well labelled and I have a duplicate "copy documents" binder as well. Again, my husband has nothing to do with all this but he knows where I keep it and can read the labels. So OK again - as long as someone asks him if he has the paperwork he needs.

We do not carry (or even own) a smart phone. I keep copies of everything on my tablet but my husband would not be able to access that. I am confident that he has everything he needs in an emergency in hardcopy.

So OP, thanks for the wake up call. I shall now double check that my husband knows where everything is when we cruise. Now, are we so organised at home ...

Edited by Project_gal

I carry scans of everything and lists on my smartphone and my tablet. These include full details of medical info etc

I have all the key numbers on my phone entered with the international dialling code so it's one punch for contacts

I also have the numbers on DH phone

I have a translator app on the phone

I always ensure I have full internet access abroad I can switch on if need be ok at a cost but that would not be a consideration in an emergency

We both know the safe code and even though my DH is not great with technology it's one thing I make sure he can use wherever we are staying

DH also knows my credit card pin and I know his

We always make sure our credit card company knows when we are overseas in case we have to put a high charge through

In addition to the card we spend on normally -lower limit- we carry a high limit card that stays in the safe

The info on the phone and tablet is always there just gets updated as and when after all you don't need to be out of the country to be faced with that challenge. The smartphone is easy to carry so always with us ashore. Invaluable I'd say

We travel with a carry on sized bag each. DH has a backpack & I have a big a$$ purse. I use packing folders & cubes - those are put in the drawers and the contents left in them. I don't spread odds & ends in various drawers & cupboards around the room. I am very neat and put things away after use - I can't stand crap all over the counter or desk top. My big purse goes in the closet and I have a small one I carry on the ship or in port. Our passports are kept with me. I could re-pack in about 15 minutes! Travel details are kept in a travel app & files I can access from several devices.

The other thing, I always photo the front page of the daily with the agents name on it, so if I am ashore regardless of where I am I just need my phone to get at information. Far easier than trying to remember to carry the daily. Each evening, delete that photo and add the new one

I know the OP was talking about being on ship when the issue happens, I worry more about being ashore and not immediately surrounded by ship personnel

I know the OP was talking about being on ship when the issue happens, I worry more about being ashore and not immediately surrounded by ship personnel

While I was writing about being on ship because that was what happened to us, being prepared is good for everywhere. Thanks for the tip about phone-graphing the Port Agent number.

Thanks for everyone's contributions. I like reading how other people manage, even the people who are so well-prepared that they make me envious. I intend to be organized, then the cardinal stops by the bird-feeder, or a friend calls, or I see the book I've been reading whispering my name, and there is the computer. All distractions and ones I'm not so able to ignore.

Project_gal: We had no choice to leave stuff behind. We were essentially removed from the ship with all our belongings because the medical staff didn't know how soon or if we could be reunited with our belongings. I think at that moment, my husband just wanted to go home anyway. Once we were back on ship, he was very glad we made it back and could finish our trip. I had about 15 minutes to get everything packed, maybe less, and the "help" of two stewards. I think I could have done it myself in 20 minutes since I wasn't packing for an airplane and I would have known where everything was, but it was nice to not be doing it alone. Mixed blessing.

Beth

"Nothing excellent can be done without leisure" -- André*Gide

Edited by bbappel

I email our itinerary ... and credit cards (front and back)

I would worry about this. I have a Word document with copies of credit cards, passport, etc. At first I used to include the back of the card because of the phone number, but then I realised that the back of the card holds the CVC number, so anyone getting it (in my case the printed page and in your case stealing your phone) would be able to use my card. After that I typed the phone number beneath each card and I no longer show the back of the card. Could you do something similar with your system?

Diane

All of those things sound good. I almost think you've answered your own question.

Although we've never had to "evacuate" a ship due to emergency, I think we should all always be prepared. That goes for at home too, not just on a ship or in a hotel room away from home. A little pre-planning and sticking with a consistent plan is important, at least in terms of being able to find things quickly and deal with unplanned events.

Neatness counts, at least in my world. If things are kept uncluttered and consistently in the same place, then it make everything else easier. And eliminates the need for "hunting" or panicking about not finding something important. I admit I am hard-wired this way, and I grew up in a family where clutter was the norm, so I do understand it's a chore for many.

We keep a list of our meds on a card in our wallet but also photos of the actual meds on a photo on the phone. This isn't just for traveling. This is for always. The actual meds are packed in a little zippered case. One of those lightweight travel zippered organizers that come in sets. Keeps the suitcase neat too ;)

We have a specific spot for passports in our home and for our important papers. We both know where these things are.

When we travel we have less stuff, but they remain in the safe (or in my suitcase in a hotel if no safe) - anything important stays there, unless it's on our person. So no searching needed.

I have a purse that is cross-body, and completely RFID-safe, and has lots of lock-able zippered pockets and places for cards and money, and it could easily hold all our meds, just drop the "medicine carry case" in. (Pac Safe is the brand)

I have a second little case that packs right with the prescription stuff. It has contingency meds - I carry an antibiotic (just in case), pain relievers, and cough meds, and things for upset stomach, etc. and bandages. Often that case is never opened but if we need it we are set. It's part of my be-prepared mentality. If I need to tame a cough I don't want to have to go shopping. I want it available NOW.

All the meds and contingency meds and papers and important things are always in my carry-on when I travel.

I would say the most important thing of all would be to remain calm and move with purpose and assertiveness, but not in a panicked way.

I do hope you don't have to deal with an emergency while traveling again but if you do - that you'll feel more prepared.

I also do this and Kaiser offers a flash drive with all your medical info on it. I never leave home with out and having it brought up todate. I have my pass word on the out side in case I can't tell them it.

The other thing, I always photo the front page of the daily with the agents name on it, so if I am ashore regardless of where I am I just need my phone to get at information. Far easier than trying to remember to carry the daily. Each evening, delete that photo and add the new one

This is a very good idea. To keep the ship's info with you.

Wikitravel has a good article about Dealing with Emergencies While Traveling

If you are off the ship and have a smart phone, locate the emergency setting on the lock screen. There are several emergency numbers in use around the world. 911 isn't always valid https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_emergency_telephone_numbers

Medical payment - Some travel insurance policies reimbursement you after submitting a claim. It is a good idea have a credit card with a sufficient limit & notify them of your travels. Emergency cash is also a good idea. Hospitals operate differently in different countries and you may need to cover some incidentals. Also check if your insurance policy would send cash to the hospital for emergency admittance.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1775469-got-seriously-sick-during-travel-best-course-action.html