Repositioning cruises

Moriah

Last year we creatively used repositioning cruises to travel around the world VERY inexpensively. We sailed from Seattle to Singapore on the Statendam, flew to Rome and sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam from Rome to Florida. We then tacked 7 days on the Eurodam in the Caribbean just for good measure (not a repositioning cruise).

Get those creative juices going!

I like the way you think! BTW, how long a flight is it from Rome to Singapore?

Our issue with some of the repositioning cruises is the one way air fare. How do you get around the OUTRAGEOUS cost of one way fares around the globe? We are not picky folks. We happily fly steerage as it doesn't last more than a day but it does burn my biscuits when the airfare for 1 person costs more than the cruise for 2! I was pleasantly surprised to find some lower fares to South America in the past few years but Europe, eegads.. :eek:

Another way is to accumulate some airline FF miles that you can then use for one-way trips. If you don't already have airline miles, they are easily available with certain new credit cards, and you can get enough introductory miles to transport two people, one-way economy.

Another way is to accumulate some airline FF miles that you can then use for one-way trips. If you don't already have airline miles, they are easily available with certain new credit cards, and you can get enough introductory miles to transport two people, one-way economy.

I've found that domestic round trips are the best way of using FF miles when you compare fares saved vs. alternatives - like HAL's flight ease for one way TA's.

I would expand my horizons if sea days are the objective.

First, HAL will only have transatlantic cruises in specific months. In the spring (April), HAL ships will leave the US to sail to Europe. There won't be many, if any, until the Fall when the ships will leave Europe to sail to the US. To the best of my knowledge only Cunard offers regular trips back and forth.

That said: HAL does offer one cruise that leaves Fort Lauderdale, travels around the Med, and then returns to Fort Lauderdale. I think there is only one of these per year. Look under Grand Voyages. It maybe longer than you wish. There are other cruises such as the voyages of the vikings that you might want to consider.

It is called the Atlantic crossing

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I've found that domestic round trips are the best way of using FF miles when you compare fares saved vs. alternatives - like HAL's flight ease for one way TA's.

Seriously? Why would I use double the miles to book a flight? I like to save my miles for International flights. The LAST place I use my Ff miles for is a domestic flight - International only, thank you ;)

If you book early enough, you get better flights than what HAL offers with FF flights - it take persistence and time but it's worth it.

DH and I fly biz class from Paris to Toronto. We do have to pay the taxes though :(

Edited by kazu

I am sailing on the Eurodam TA from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale. I used ff miles to book a nonstop business class flight from JFK to Barcelona. It cost $5. 60 plus the miles. I save most all my miles for big international flights except for my Jetblue miles.