Formal Nights

We will be on Adventure of the Seas in Feb. Can you explain formal nights?

The first one is usually the second night on the ship. The Captain has a "welcome" party. Many people wear their tux and evening gowns. It is NOT required, but I love it..

It is rare that we get the opportunity to dress up and take special photos. What ever you do, have fun!

Welcome to CC. It's a traditional thing that has evolved to do/wear whatever. It was the night where people dress nicely as if going to a fancy dinner. It mainly exists in name only.

A bit different answer. It's true that Formal wear is optional. But don't let anyone tell you that "no one" dresses up. Many do. It's a nice evening and great time for pictures. If you are inclined to do so, dress up. If not, don't. But don't hesitate to dress according to the dress code just because people on cc hate it and seem to work to discourage anyone from dressing. Many still do.

Edited by papaflamingo

I love getting dressed up for formal night! And I love seeing others all dressed up too!

It has been said that cruises out of Europe have a far higher proportion of formally dressed guests than those which originate elsewhere.

It's certainly true that on Navigator earlier this month we saw a very high quota of tuxes and ball gowns. (we dined at a table for 10, and all 5 men wore tuxes)

(Not very) formal nights you mean?

the suggested attire is a button down shirt and slacks for the guys, and a nice pantsuit or cocktails dress on the ladies.

Ties and jacket optional.

you will find a small percentage still do the Tux and gown thing, a fairly number will be in suits or sport jackets and a very small minority will ignore the suggestion and still wear shorts or jeans.

if you do not wish to dress accordingly, the windjammer buffet or almost specialty dining is an option as those are sport casual at all times( polo shirt, slacks)

the lone exception is Bermuda. if that is your itinerary, Formal night is a real pair of Bermuda shorts, the black socks, shiny shoes and a button down shirt with tie and jacket.

ladies can get away with simple sundresses at all times( which is what I wear all day and into the evening, only bringing say a nice wrap for formal night and better bling) I actually have 2 black knit maxi dresses that are comfy enough to wear into port but can be dressed up very nicely. no wrinkles, packs like a dream.

(Not very) formal nights you mean?

the suggested attire is a button down shirt and slacks for the guys, and a nice pantsuit or cocktails dress on the ladies.

Ties and jacket optional.

you will find a small percentage still do the Tux and gown thing, a fairly number will be in suits or sport jackets and a very small minority will ignore the suggestion and still wear shorts or jeans.

if you do not wish to dress accordingly, the windjammer buffet or almost specialty dining is an option as those are sport casual at all times( polo shirt, slacks)

the lone exception is Bermuda. if that is your itinerary, Formal night is a real pair of Bermuda shorts, the black socks, shiny shoes and a button down shirt with tie and jacket.

ladies can get away with simple sundresses at all times( which is what I wear all day and into the evening, only bringing say a nice wrap for formal night and better bling) I actually have 2 black knit maxi dresses that are comfy enough to wear into port but can be dressed up very nicely. no wrinkles, packs like a dream.

You and I are obviously on different cruise.. I see LOTS of tux and ball gowns, and we are some of them. Most of the ships we have been, on the majority dress up.. as I said in my original post. Not mandatory, but fun..

I am having similar dilemma!

It is our 20th wedding anniversary and taking the 8 day southern Caribbean cruise on Adventure of the seas next week, October 8th. I own a tux and was planning on wearing it on formal nights until I started reading posts on CC, and now I'm pretty confused. I think is sounds cool to dress up and we can get some nice pictures together, but I don't want to look like a tool either being the only one in a tux. My plan is to just wear it since I own it, but was curious if anyone has been on a Caribbean cruise on RC AOS and can opine?

Edited by BusterMcCruiser

I am having similar dilemma!

It is our 20th wedding anniversary and taking the 8 day southern Caribbean cruise on Adventure of the seas next week, October 8th. I own a tux and was planning on wearing it on formal nights until I started reading posts on CC, and now I'm pretty confused. I think is sounds cool to dress up and we can get some nice pictures together, but I don't want to look like a tool either being the only one in a tux. My plan is to just wear it since I own it, but was curious if anyone has been on a Caribbean cruise on RC AOS and can opine?

Welcome to CC. Wear your Tux if that's what you want to wear. You won't be out of place. The suggested evening dress guidelines for the MDR are not enforced. No biggie. Some Cruisers will be dressed up more than others on formal evening. Remember there are a lot more Cruisers on ships than on CC. You just might be surprised how many still dress formally in the MDR. Enjoy your Cruise on the Adventure. She's a nice ship with a great crew. At least that's our opinion.

Edited by davekathy

I own a tux and was planning on wearing it on formal nights until I started reading posts on CC, and now I'm pretty confused. I think is sounds cool to dress up and we can get some nice pictures together, but I don't want to look like a tool either being the only one in a tux.

You won't be the only one in a tux. The majority of men do not wear tuxes, of course, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't take the tux you own and wear it.

You can see from my signature that we have cruised mainly on RCI and on all of those cruises, we saw men in tuxedos. My husband rented one once and he looked smashing. ;) As mentioned, it's a great opportunity for formal night portraits. There will be many photo backgrounds set up around the ship, so have your photo taken at several of them and decide which one(s) you like best. There is no sitting fee and you only pay for the ones you want! Win-win. :D