Question on Onboard Expense Account

Teachmath1

I am wanting to use my bank card for my expense card during online check in and had a question on how that works. Will they do a blanket debit of say $500 or how does it work? I just want to make sure all my cash doesn't get stuck in pending status limbo.

I am wanting to use my bank card for my expense card during online check in and had a question on how that works. Will they do a blanket debit of say $500 or how does it work? I just want to make sure all my cash doesn't get stuck in pending status limbo.

If you use a bank card you run the risk of multiple holds being put on it.

If you really want to use your bank card as opposed to a credit card I would set up your account as a cash account. They will allow you to charge up to $500 before asking you to pay it down. You can then go and pay it down with your bank card....that way no holds.

If you use a bank card you run the risk of multiple holds being put on it.

If you really want to use your bank card as opposed to a credit card I would set up your account as a cash account. They will allow you to charge up to $500 before asking you to pay it down. You can then go and pay it down with your bank card....that way no holds.

This advice is perfect!

I just wanted to chime in that I think a Credit Card is the best way to go.

If you mark it as cash, just make sure prepare yourself for the line at the end of the cruise at guest services. It gets quite crazy. With a credit card (or any card, actually), there is no need to go to Guest Services at the end of the cruise to "settle" the bill.

So strange to me, these comments you received. I cruise with a card on file, I get a bill the last night and they don't even charge my card til about five days later. Every time I cruise, it is the same pattern.

Are you using a credit card or a debit card? The OP was asking about a debit card.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Do NOT use a debit/bank card. Just bring the cash! A bank or debit card will have major "holds" put on the card, effectively blocking you from using any of your cash in the account, for up to 10 days after the cruise is over!

Just take cash out of your bank account...bring it on the ship, spend what you need, and redeposit any unused cash when you get home.

Now...a CREDIT CARD is a different animal....no "holds" on a CREDIT CARD....they will determine the card is good...and they simply charge what you spend. Credit and debit/bank cards are totally different in how they operate.

Edited by cb at sea

Are you using a credit card or a debit card? The OP was asking about a debit card.

That's the thing, I almost always use my debit card and have never had a problem , ever! And I even hold the hotel stay on the same card. Royal doesn't even charge my account until about five days after I am already home. I honestly, dont get the comments at all. I have cruised Royal, carnival, Norwegian, princess and Same thing, never a hold.

That's the thing, I almost always use my debit card and have never had a problem , ever! And I even hold the hotel stay on the same card. Royal doesn't even charge my account until about five days after I am already home. I honestly, dont get the comments at all. I have cruised Royal, carnival, Norwegian, princess and Same thing, never a hold.

...but you've been around here long enough to have read numerous rants about holds on debit cards, right? I've never used a debit for a cruise before and probably wouldn't anyway but I would think the number of complaints here on CC would give some people pause.

A lot of the issues most likely have to do with the banks and not Royal thus the wide variety of responses.

I'm glad you've never had an issue. You would think it would always work this way.

I'm honestly not sure when they decide to put a hold on the card, but they even have a warning about it before and after you board the ship.

I am hoping to use a debit card which is already loaded or X dollars which I received as a gift for part of my onboard account

OntarioCruiser

It is sometimes complicated to use such to pay down the shipboard account if the balance on the debit card isn't enough to cover the whole account. It may be more reliable to use that card to pre-purchase onboard credit, and that amount will then be applied against the shipboard balance.