Nickel and Dime

claven

Same here Claven. Took me this long to convince my husband to go on another cruise! 😂

Nickel and diming happens on every line. I think people get upset with NCL because they used to include more.

Our last cruise was on Carnival 12 years ago before mass line cutbacks and specialty dining and they (Carnival) nickel and dimed then as well.

UBP service charge... I guarantee that we would have spent more than $90/pp without it so it's still worth it to us.

Royal Caribbean and Carnival were around the same price without a beverage package for nearly the same itinerary/date/departure area.

We don't need anything extra besides what is included in our fare aside from gratuities (which I am prepaying). There are a few things I know we'll spend extra on just because we want to... but these are things you'd pay extra for on ANY ship besides the luxury all inclusive types.

You will have a great time!

Your cruise is what you make it to be. We've been on 6 cruises on NCL and one on Princess, and we rarely spend any additional money onboard, choosing to spend it onshore instead. We'll have the occasional bottle of wine or splurge on a meal at a specialty restaurant, but it's absolutely not required to spend any additional money other than your fare, taxes and port fees, and gratuities (and no matter what you may read on any of these boards, please tip your crew, they work really hard for it!) to have a fantastic time on the ship!

On Princess, in order to get a decent cup of coffee, you had to buy their coffee card and go to their coffee bar to get it. Otherwise, it was coffee beverage from concentrate (absolutely repulsive).

NCL does a pretty good job (and by that, I mean they are AWFUL) of trying to sell their passengers on all kinds of useless stuff once they get on the ship (e.g., tanzanite and other "can't be missed" jewels, watches, "exclusive" sales at onshore shops, etc.), but you can (and should) avoid those at all cost!

Totally off-topic, but make sure you join your roll call. Many folks there will have helpful advice as well.

Ok, ok... as I said on the other reply...

I have about 119 post, not 35K. I've always wanted to cruise, but never worked out for us. I'm not sure actually taking a cruise is a requirement for this board. Yes, I've had great experience with researching vacations and have saved my but a few times, mostly at the disboards for Disney trips. So, yes research does help, I was not active for all those 11 years; you'd have to realize that.

Was just wondering if the upsell thing was common on all the cruise ships, that's all.

Thanks,

D

As a long time NCL cruiser, i remember when the beverage package was actually free (no added gratuity) On our next cruise considered not taking that promo as we don't drink that much. But as gratuity comes to about $15/day pp realized that was equal to about 2 drinks, which we will drink, so went for it.

I think there are enough options where you can spend very little extra once you board the ship No need for speciality restaurants especially with a 6 year old.

All ships seem to nickle and dime you but think that is due to lower base price of the cruises I remember when cruising was only something the rich could afford!

I book cruises based on two issues, the product (itinerary included) and price.

We cruise with NCL and Celebrity. Sometimes NCL is our choice. When evaluating price, we look at the bottom line. The bottom line includes what we know we will spend onboard.

A lot of the nickel and dime stuff on any cruise line is optional. One issue that grates on a lot of people is NCL's policy about bringing water on board. We drink the tap water and this policy doesn't affect us. On our recent Sun cruise our Daughter was on the cruise with us (she was free due to a great promo). She didn't drink the tap water, but she purchased a package of several large bottles of water for about $25. Not a major cost.

We do not like the beverage packages on NCL (on the Sun it was a promo and did not include paying the gratuities). The red wine choices were not very good. On our next cruise we may skip the beverage packages and choose our own wine.

Ok, ok... as I said on the other reply...

I have about 119 post, not 35K. I've always wanted to cruise, but never worked out for us. I'm not sure actually taking a cruise is a requirement for this board. Yes, I've had great experience with researching vacations and have saved my but a few times, mostly at the disboards for Disney trips. So, yes research does help, I was not active for all those 11 years; you'd have to realize that.

Was just wondering if the upsell thing was common on all the cruise ships, that's all.

Thanks,

D

Claven,

As soon as you question the NCL 'nickel and diming' approach you can expect a spirited attack from some of the NCL faithful. We have cruised on NCL on 4 occasions and we were very happy with our experiences in general.

We typically cruise X. We had booked a Getaway Spa balcony at what I thought was an attractive price and perhaps like you was taken aback at additional grats for UBP and specialty dining 'freebies'. I thought the booking process was broken when making my initial booking as the price went up a few hundred bucks and it did not dawn on me that anyone would charge for gratuities on these 'freebies'. Subsequently we found that bottled water was not included in the UBP. At that time you could bring it on board but subsequently this was stopped and the only 'discount' option was to buy a case at an exorbitant amount (to which they add the 18% grat).

While I think the prudent approach is to add up costs and compare apples to apples with other lines, the NCL direction leaves me cold as a customer and I have cancelled my cruise. If this makes me a 'whiner' or unrealistic to some posters so be it. I am not going to question others who choose to patronize NCL and I think the line has much to offer.

(My other concerns posted earlier had to do with the general passenger load on the ship particularly around a single pool with 4200 pax. The Vibe is certainly an option to avoid this (99 Per pas/week) but it is not guaranteed and the prospect of dashing on board to secure it is not attractive.)

Anyway that is my opinion. If seasoned cruisers and readers of this board are concerned about some of these add on charges and policies I wonder about the many who don't find out until they are on board. Of course you can forgo beverage package, bring empty water bottles on board and fill up with 'tap' water and you do not have to spend another dime if you don't want to but this is not in keeping with what I value on a cruise vacation. One of the initial attractions of cruising was that it became close to an all inclusive experience. All of the cruise lines are seeking additional revenue streams but NCL has seemingly taken it to the most extreme. JMHO

We've done two NCL cruises and one RCI cruise (one more RCI cruise booked)

What I like about the NCL cruises is that they didn't cost as much as the RCI cruise. There were lots of things you could pay extra for but my balance at the end of each NCL cruise was zero dollars.

The RCI cruise was in February in the Caribbean. It was 599.00 a piece for a guaranty inside. By the time we figured out the pricing for 6 of us to be in one room (family oceanview), add the port fees and gratuities the total was 5400.00. This included 0$ of OBC and no special offer of any kind. No restaurants or liquor... etc. We had a bill of about 70$ in drinks when we got off the ship.

Our family NCL cruise was in a 2 bedroom family suite in the Haven in February to the Mexican Riviera. After we priced the room with port charges and taxes it was 5400.00. We had to pay gratuities in addition to this which was about another 850$ so total was ~6250.00

But with this we got Wifi, 400$ OBC and all 4 kids were free which made this deal possible. Our bill at the end of this cruise was 0$.

On our cruise to the Fjords on NCL with just my wife and I it was a similar experience with the cost of the trip being about 1000$ less than any other line at the time. I can't remember exactly what the price was but we also got 375$ obc and free specialty restaurants. We used our OBC for drinks and the spa. 0$ bill at the end of the cruise.

My sister recently went on the Escape and said that things she was used to getting for free on Carnival were charged for on NCL (like the sauna and steam room, lobster upcharge on the menu, room service) But she said the food was amazing.

So while NCL may have things you can pay extra for you can get many of those things included (paying extra grats) with the price of the cruise. And most times when we are shopping for cruises NCL is considerably less and the price difference gives us more spend and options to spend.

One thing I don't like about NCL now is that you can't bring water on board with you. That was a bad move. It won't bother us much because we bring reusable water bottles everywhere we go and will just refill but it was nice to have bottled water in the room.

Have a great trip!

-Sean

get over the $90 per person gratuity fee on the UBP......WOW!!!!!

no one has a gun to your head Aquahound to select the UBP!!!!

Correct...It is a CHOICE...That $90 you refer to is actually a gratuity for the crew..Aquahound what is wrong with that?

NCL base fee is some of the lowest for what you do get included... Price it out, if you want to see how it compared to other lines for similar services...

I like the fact the NCL allows ME to mix and match what I want my cruise experience to be...instead of forcing passenger to pay for things they might not use...

No one is forcing you to choose any of the extras!!!!!

Claven,

As soon as you question the NCL 'nickel and diming' approach you can expect a spirited attack from some of the NCL faithful. We have cruised on NCL on 4 occasions and we were very happy with our experiences in general.

We typically cruise X. We had booked a Getaway Spa balcony at what I thought was an attractive price and perhaps like you was taken aback at additional grats for UBP and specialty dining 'freebies'. I thought the booking process was broken when making my initial booking as the price went up a few hundred bucks and it did not dawn on me that anyone would charge for gratuities on these 'freebies'. Subsequently we found that bottled water was not included in the UBP. At that time you could bring it on board but subsequently this was stopped and the only 'discount' option was to buy a case at an exorbitant amount (to which they add the 18% grat).

While I think the prudent approach is to add up costs and compare apples to apples with other lines, the NCL direction leaves me cold as a customer and I have cancelled my cruise. If this makes me a 'whiner' or unrealistic to some posters so be it. I am not going to question others who choose to patronize NCL and I think the line has much to offer.

(My other concerns posted earlier had to do with the general passenger load on the ship particularly around a single pool with 4200 pax. The Vibe is certainly an option to avoid this (99 Per pas/week) but it is not guaranteed and the prospect of dashing on board to secure it is not attractive.)

Anyway that is my opinion. If seasoned cruisers and readers of this board are concerned about some of these add on charges and policies I wonder about the many who don't find out until they are on board. Of course you can forgo beverage package, bring empty water bottles on board and fill up with 'tap' water and you do not have to spend another dime if you don't want to but this is not in keeping with what I value on a cruise vacation. One of the initial attractions of cruising was that it became close to an all inclusive experience. All of the cruise lines are seeking additional revenue streams but NCL has seemingly taken it to the most extreme. JMHO

I am a NCL faithful, but I think what you did is what anyone should do... Add up what is offered by the different lines and what they offer for a similar cruise and choose what makes the most sense for you and your vacation. I have traveled a few different lines and lately NCL has made the most sense for me. It is ultimately the individual cruiser who has to make each decision for themselves... I travel solo a lot and the big ships on NCL have a lot to offer me in that situation.

I just booked our first cruise ever. We had LOTS of choices and I reviewed a bunch of them. We decided on NCL, mainly for the free 'deals' we were offered ie the drinks and 3rd, 4th free.

However, after reading a lot of post on here and many reviews I'm not so sure this line is what we need. We are two adults, one 6 year old. I noticed that there are more al a carte options than included options, I don't say free since they are really included items. The many eateries and little shops like coffee, ice cream etc...to the shows the HC al a carte debate.

The question is this, do all the cruise lines do this or is NCL the worst or is there worse out there. I was looking at RCCL and it doesn't seem to be the case, Disney is a bit too pricey for us at this point (my kids in college can't afford a spring break disney cruise).

I know they need to make money and it is a business, I don't expect free things, just included things.

We routinely cruise NCL and have a very small bill at the end of the cruise. We don't drink that much, so the "free" drinks package service fees at ~$95 per person isn't worth it for us, but it's a deal for others. And NCL has a pretty high drink price threshold that they cover, up to $15 per drink, with no daily limits (things that are different on other lines). The trade off is that they don't include specialty coffees and bottled water ... but anything that comes out of the gun at a bar can be had, so people do get water as a chaser, fountain soda, etc.

You didn't mention which ship you booked, but in general here are some things to keep in mind when traveling with a six year old. There might be an exception or two on a particular ship, and I'm sure people will chime in with those differences.

All of the entertainment is free except for "dinner shows". On the Jewel class ships the only "dinner show" they have is a mystery theater luncheon your six year old would hate anyway. On the larger ships they have a dinner show. We have never gone to the dinner show on the larger ships. The free entertainment includes a show in the main theater performed twice nightly that is usually a song and dance show about equal to a good theme park production (NCL does these very well). There are live musicians in lounges and bars, and a house band. There is usually a comedian or magician. This entertainment is usually OK for a six year old; some venues go more adult after 10, but they usually warn you.

For included food, you will have a choice of the buffet, that NCL does very well, and two main dining rooms. The main dining rooms both serve the same entrees, and you walk up any time during dining hours and get seated as a family ... no awkward "sitting with strangers" (some people love that on more traditional lines, but I hate it). There is almost always a beef dish, a chicken dish, a fish dish and other options (vegatarian, etc.) There are some entrees you can always get, and some that are served only one evening. For sea days, one of these main dining room restaurants is open for lunch, and every day one is open for breakfast. There is no formal night, so leave the suit at home.

There is also a 24 hour "pub style food" place called O'Sheehan's that is not a pub, and is certainly kid friendly. It's a great place to get breakfast, or food like fish and chips, hamburgers and fries, chicken pot pies and wings. This is included. No charge, no tips, no nothing.

On sea days they often have a pool side bar be que, with chicken, beef and sometimes seafood, grilled / fried rice, grilled corn, etc.

There is a soft serve ice cream machine or two, usually in the buffet or just outside it (or both, depending on the ship) that is usually open. It's self serve but you can get chocolate, vanilla or a swirl in a cone or a dish. There are some limited toppings there too. Daily, the buffet will also serve hard ice cream with a greater variety of flavors.

We no longer spend money on their specialty restaurants; while I find the free food well within the value proposition, the extra fee always seems like a rip off to me. If you are used to eating in fine restaurants the ship board equivalent is like play acting; the steaks are not up to the quality of a good steakhouse, for instance. Other people love these venues and are willing to pay the price for them.

My point is that you can get on a NCL ship and not spend a penny extra if you don't want to. We have prepaid our daily service fee and ended up with a final bill of $0. Sometimes we splurge and spend money on something, but that is our choice.

If you are the type that has to try everything, no matter the cost, or someone who feels it is unfair for people to pay for better cabins, private spaces, a separate pool ... then NCL will drive you nuts. No value judgement from me, but for us, because I don't care what the Haven looks like, or that someone has an upper deck with private loungers, NCL is a pretty good fit.

Have fun!

I just booked our first cruise ever. We had LOTS of choices and I reviewed a bunch of them. We decided on NCL, mainly for the free 'deals' we were offered ie the drinks and 3rd, 4th free.

However, after reading a lot of post on here and many reviews I'm not so sure this line is what we need. We are two adults, one 6 year old. I noticed that there are more al a carte options than included options, I don't say free since they are really included items. The many eateries and little shops like coffee, ice cream etc...to the shows the HC al a carte debate.

The question is this, do all the cruise lines do this or is NCL the worst or is there worse out there. I was looking at RCCL and it doesn't seem to be the case, Disney is a bit too pricey for us at this point (my kids in college can't afford a spring break disney cruise).

I know they need to make money and it is a business, I don't expect free things, just included things.

D

NCL probably nickel and dimes less than any other cruise line. They provide a wide variety of dining options without any additional charge. Yes, they have many a la carte venues, but there is no need at all to dine at any of them. The included dining venues are more than adequate.

Other than that NCL is just like any other cruise line. They all have service charges, they all charge for sodas and adult beverages. They all include a service charge or gratuity on purchases ranging from a low of 12% to a high of 18%.

If you prepay your service charges there is no reason to think that you will owe anything when you walk off the ship, unless you choose to spend the extra money.

Thanks for all the information. We are booked on the Breakaway March 5th.

Real excited about going. Have been reading alot in the last week or so. Learning much. Are typical child food options available?

D

Thanks for all the information. We are booked on the Breakaway March 5th.

Real excited about going. Have been reading alot in the last week or so. Learning much. Are typical child food options available?

D

Yes, they have a children's menu in all the restaurants which contains regular children's fare.

NCL probably nickel and dimes less than any other cruise line. They provide a wide variety of dining options without any additional charge. Yes, they have many a la carte venues, but there is no need at all to dine at any of them. The included dining venues are more than adequate.

Other than that NCL is just like any other cruise line. They all have service charges, they all charge for sodas and adult beverages. They all include a service charge or gratuity on purchases ranging from a low of 12% to a high of 18%.

If you prepay your service charges there is no reason to think that you will owe anything when you walk off the ship, unless you choose to spend the extra money.

Just to correct a couple of factual inaccuracies.

NCL is the only line to charge for room service (excepting continental breakfast).

NCL is the only line to charge US pax 18% gratuities on supposedly 'free' booking perks such as Beverage and Dining packages.

You might also want to compare NCL's beverage package price with other cruise lines and also what is (or is not) included. They are way worse than other cruise lines, despite your protestations to the contrary.

Just to correct a couple of factual inaccuracies.

NCL is the only line to charge for room service (excepting continental breakfast).

NCL is the only line to charge US pax 18% gratuities on supposedly 'free' booking perks such as Beverage and Dining packages.

You might also want to compare NCL's beverage package price with other cruise lines and also what is (or is not) included. They are way worse than other cruise lines, despite your protestations to the contrary.

Actually, Carnival charges for certain items on their room service menu. A whole page of items that you pay per item for. A steak and cheese was $5.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Actually, Carnival charges for certain items on their room service menu. A whole page of items that you pay per item for. A steak and cheese was $5.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

They all charge for certain items on their RS menu - NCL charges for the lot (except continental breakfast between 6 and 10am) - that's the difference.

They all charge for certain items on their RS menu - NCL charges for the lot (except continental breakfast between 6 and 10am) - that's the difference.

and no one is forced to use room service, so it doesn't count as nickel and diming, it is a choice. Nickel and diming is when you don't have a choice.

and no one is forced to use room service, so it doesn't count as nickel and diming, it is a choice. Nickel and diming is when you don't have a choice.

Does that mean if you're sick and quarantined in your cabin that you don't have to pay room service charges? If you do, following your statement, means that you're being nickeled and dimed.

Nickel and diming is not only about choice. It's also about charging for things that used to be included (like airline checked luggage), or are included in what the competition provides.

I am au fait with the strict meaning of the term 'nickel and dime'. All I was pointing out is that NCL has more (and sometimes higher) extra charge items than other cruise lines.

BTW - I did not introduce nickel and diming to this discussion - I discussed extra NCL charges for things that other mainstream lines do not charge for.

Edited by SteveH2508

I am au fait with the strict meaning of the term 'nickel and dime'. All I was pointing out is that NCL has more (and sometimes higher) extra charge items than other cruise lines.

BTW - I did not introduce nickel and diming to this discussion - I discussed extra NCL charges for things that other mainstream lines do not charge for.

I think it's the thread title. I could be wrong, but most of the threads have the same title, so I'm taking an educated guess :)

Correct...It is a CHOICE...That $90 you refer to is actually a gratuity for the crew..Aquahound what is wrong with that?

For the record, Im only responding because you asked. Yes, it's a gratuity for the crew. Everyone knows that. The topic of this thread is nickel and dime. NCL nickel and dimes in this manner because when other cruise lines offer drinks packages as a booking perk, they include the gratuity. That's the difference, and that's just one example of how NCL is more of a nickel and dime line than others.

I think some folks are reading out of context here.

Edited by Aquahound

I've walked off the ships with high bills and low bills. I prepay all I can going in, and am 100% aware if I do something that will cost extra. Heck, this cruise I just got off of today, if you exclude the CruiseNext Purchase and tips for butler and concierge, I bought 2 sessions with a trainer and bought a bottle of water once in the gym. We had obc of $100, so our bill was very low (tips for specialty servers, tax on drinks in port)