Nickel and Dime

claven

I just booked our first cruise ever. We had LOTS of choices and I reviewed a bunch of them. We decided on NCL, mainly for the free 'deals' we were offered ie the drinks and 3rd, 4th free.

However, after reading a lot of post on here and many reviews I'm not so sure this line is what we need. We are two adults, one 6 year old. I noticed that there are more al a carte options than included options, I don't say free since they are really included items. The many eateries and little shops like coffee, ice cream etc...to the shows the HC al a carte debate.

The question is this, do all the cruise lines do this or is NCL the worst or is there worse out there. I was looking at RCCL and it doesn't seem to be the case, Disney is a bit too pricey for us at this point (my kids in college can't afford a spring break disney cruise).

I know they need to make money and it is a business, I don't expect free things, just included things.

D

All of the mainstream lines have lots of "extra cost" items...all of them! RCI has many extras, as will Carnival and even Princess, HAL and Celebrity!

You do NOT have to purchase anything extra....it's totally up to you! Of course, on all of those lines, booze is always extra....and don't forget tips....that will be charged to your account daily (per person) if you don't pay them in advance.

Your base price is never the final price, but if you don't do specialty restaurants, or gamble, or buy photos or doc-dads, or spa, etc....you can get away relatively cheaply.

I think it's generally accepted that NCL has more extra charge things than most other lines.

However, they are just choices. You say that there are more a la carte options than included, but most people will be eating at included venues, for example. There are lots of options, but if you look at capacities then you will see that the included places make up most of the dining spaces.

What NCL offers (and some like whilst others don't) is options. You can eat very good food every day for no extra charge, but you have the option of paying and going to a speciality restaurant on a few nights if you fancy it, and if you think it's worth the extra cost. The choice is yours.

Some don't like it, some aren't fussed and some prefer it. We can't really say which one of those groups you will fall into.

The question is this, do all the cruise lines do this or is NCL the worst or is there worse out there.

Yes, NCL is the worst at this. Other lines do nickel and dime, but NCL certainly is the worst. If case you didn't know, NCL will charge you $90 per person per week for that so-call "free"drinks offer.

Yes, NCL is the worst at this. Other lines do nickel and dime, but NCL certainly is the worst. If case you didn't know, NCL will charge you $90 per person per week for that so-call "free"drinks offer.

Yeah.. and you have to pay port fees and taxes on the free 3rd and 4th guests too.

Yeah.. and you have to pay port fees and taxes on the free 3rd and 4th guests too.

Those are a set amount per passenger that is charged to the cruise line. They should pay them for you? Free fare does not eliminate the per head charge :rolleyes:

I noticed that on the drink package and free guest options. I will say, for my college kids, this is a cheaper option for base price than say RCL. I've been looking at RCL and the child options seems to be better with the character things etc... That cruise for us would be comparable in price, but for the 4 college kids, quite a bit more.

So, if we only eat at the comp places, use the drink package, don't do the pictures and other extras, what fees will we be charged, Break away for 7d March 5.

What was the final outcome on HC with comp dining and drink package?

D

Those are a set amount per passenger that is charged to the cruise line. They should pay them for you? Free fare does not eliminate the per head charge :rolleyes:

And the gratuity/service charge is also a fixed amount that has to be paid. The free perk does not eliminate this charge either. Get it?

get over the $90 per person gratuity fee on the UBP......WOW!!!!!

no one has a gun to your head Aquahound to select the UBP!!!!

I noticed that on the drink package and free guest options. I will say, for my college kids, this is a cheaper option for base price than say RCL. I've been looking at RCL and the child options seems to be better with the character things etc... That cruise for us would be comparable in price, but for the 4 college kids, quite a bit more.

So, if we only eat at the comp places, use the drink package, don't do the pictures and other extras, what fees will we be charged, Break away for 7d March 5.

What was the final outcome on HC with comp dining and drink package?

D

You can do a cruise without any addition charges. Pay your cruise. Pay the daily service charges. Nothing else. We've done it many times. Contrary to all of the trolls, there are no nickels or dimes.

I just booked our first cruise ever. We had LOTS of choices and I reviewed a bunch of them. We decided on NCL, mainly for the free 'deals' we were offered ie the drinks and 3rd, 4th free.

However, after reading a lot of post on here and many reviews I'm not so sure this line is what we need. We are two adults, one 6 year old. I noticed that there are more al a carte options than included options, I don't say free since they are really included items. The many eateries and little shops like coffee, ice cream etc...to the shows the HC al a carte debate.

The question is this, do all the cruise lines do this or is NCL the worst or is there worse out there. I was looking at RCCL and it doesn't seem to be the case, Disney is a bit too pricey for us at this point (my kids in college can't afford a spring break disney cruise).

I know they need to make money and it is a business, I don't expect free things, just included things.

D

Maybe it in the way one looks at things. You say WORST. I say BEST. I pay for the add-ons I WANT.

You can cruise just fine on included things OR YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE with add-ons. If some or all of those were included items YOU WOULD BE PAYING MORE FOR YOUR CRUISE.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by DMH15

So, don't take the deal. Easy peasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

D

NCL has included ice cream, food and drinks. There are options for upgraded food and drinks at an extra cost (I don't remember if there is an option for upgraded ice cream for an extra cost). There are restaurants where all the food is included. There is coffee that is included (as in tap water, milk, juice, punch, tea ...). There are also other restaurants which are an extra charge that offers a better quality steak, lobster, better quality coffee, adults drinks, fresh squeezed juice, and soft drinks.

The other cruise lines do the same thing. Carnival has a steak house on its newer ships. Royal Caribbean and Princess have steak houses and Italian restaurants on their ships, at an extra cost. Carnival, Princess and Royal Caribbean all charge extra for upgraded coffee, alcoholic drinks, fresh squeezed juice and soft drinks. Royal Caribbean also has a well known brand of ice cream that costs extra (Royal Caribbean also has the free ice cream).

Again, you can eat just fine for the included meals. However, if you wish, you can pay a little extra and eat a higher quality meal. It is your choice.

You've been a member of Cruise Critic since 2005 -- just shy of 11 years. And you're just now booking your first cruise ever?

Really? :confused:

How long can you be a member before you are required to book a cruise?

You've been a member of Cruise Critic since 2005 -- just shy of 11 years. And you're just now booking your first cruise ever?

Really? :confused:

Yes, really. We booked one about that time, but had to cancel and I went to Grad school and had a child. Been to Disney tons of times and many other places, just never got around to doing a cruise in that time frame.

So, yes this is our first cruise ever.

BTW, I'm not really worried about the 90 dollar thing or whatever.

D

Ok, ok... as I said on the other reply...

I have about 119 post, not 35K. I've always wanted to cruise, but never worked out for us. I'm not sure actually taking a cruise is a requirement for this board. Yes, I've had great experience with researching vacations and have saved my but a few times, mostly at the disboards for Disney trips. So, yes research does help, I was not active for all those 11 years; you'd have to realize that.

Was just wondering if the upsell thing was common on all the cruise ships, that's all.

Thanks,

D

You don't have to purchase any of the things that aren't included in the cost. My onboard account usually only has alcohol, the Daily Service charge and two Cruise Next Certificates which give me a discount on my next cruise. My next cruise I was able to get two free choices, so I chose the UBP (free alcohol) and the Daily Service charges so I'm participating my onboard account will only have the cost of two cruise Next Certificates.

Edited by karoo

I don't mind up-charges on an all-inclusive package like a cruise when they are used to balance supply and demand. For example, the specialty restaurants used to have a modest flat-rate fee. Seating was a scarce resource, so the fee helped keep overcrowding to a minimum. The specialty restaurants did not take over too much real estate on the ship. It was a nice balance. Furthermore, the food in the MDRs were great. It wasn't a bait and switch where you find out after you get on that the only way to get a decent meal is to pay extra for it.

Fast forward to today. The newer ships are chopped up into many different up-charge and exclusive areas. The pool areas and theaters are tiny for the number of passengers they serve. There more up-charge food areas than ever before and they've taken the place or encroached on the "free" ones. Worst of all, there had been a noticeable dip in "free" food quality.

Even people who almost never saying anything bad about NCL admit the food at O'Sheenans (included) stinks compared to Margaritaville: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49809265#post49809265

Ok, ok... as I said on the other reply...

I have about 119 post, not 35K. I've always wanted to cruise, but never worked out for us. I'm not sure actually taking a cruise is a requirement for this board. Yes, I've had great experience with researching vacations and have saved my but a few times, mostly at the disboards for Disney trips. So, yes research does help, I was not active for all those 11 years; you'd have to realize that.

Was just wondering if the upsell thing was common on all the cruise ships, that's all.

Thanks,

D

If you really did research, you would realize that your assertion of Nicole and diming is groundless.