The MAIN reasons we (mostly) avoid Carnival

Tom-n-Cheryl

Come on over to Princess, here's what you get for booking a suite:

They use to have free internet but that was discontinued a while back.

We gave it a go - on the Caribbean Princess a few years ago. We had an aft suite. I wrote a lengthy review as to why we were not in a rush to sail Princess again... though I've not written them off for good. The strangest thing was having to pay EXTRA for the Diet Sprite mixer in my "Grey Goose and Diet Sprite", as you only received your mixer for "free" if it came out of one of their guns. If they had to open a can, you bought the can.... :rolleyes:

Tom

Hi Tom,

Try CUNARD

Though depending on what you desire in Queens Grill class, and length of cruise, you might spend that $4k-7k PER DAY!

I really think you need to branch out, and try other lines, as your expectations are unrealistic for Carnival.

Seriously, no kidding, and no empathy from me. I wouldn't spend $4-7K for a week on Carnival if my life depended on it.

You have made yourself a big fish in a small pond. Get with the program and move on!

We've done plenty of branching. At least as far as most of the (from) Florida options go.

Tom

For the price difference on other lines, you are welcome to take me on your cruise and I will bring a hot breakfast to your room. You won't even have to tip me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's my job on Carnival, for Cheryl. :D

Tom

If the perks listed here are ones people are paying more for on other lines I just don't get it. I didn't see anything listed I would pay more for. But maybe I'm just not the "perk type" I have zero interest in sitting inside in a private lounge. If I want to be inside I want to sit on my balcony chilling, not in a lounge. I don't drink so a comped drink package holds zero value to me. A hot room service breakfast, nope not interested, first thing I do in the mornings is walk the deck before anyone else is around, usually around 5am or so. It's gorgeous and peaceful that time of morning. So I'm already up and around by the time they are setting up breakfast, I grab something and take it back to my balcony to enjoy.

A pillow or blanket menu? Upgraded robes or toiletries? No thanks. I book suites for the extra room. If I paid more to go on a different line it definitely wouldn't be for their imaginary perks. If you are paying more they aren't free perks, it's just creative marketing or upselling.

This is a great reason for why Carnival should NOT. Princess. HAL. Cunard. and Seabourn are a few of the other Carnival brands for "carnivaled out" cruisers to try.

Why do some want Carnival, but with other cruise line benefits? What are the other cruise lines lacking? Why not try to get them to be more like Carnival instead of the other way around?

You must have misunderstood me. I would like to cruise OTHER Carnival brands with just the meager benefits Carnival gives me, by having my Carnival benefits CROSS OVER to that brand. Early embarkation would be nice for starters. The cruise I took on Princess reminded me so much of what Carnival USED TO BE LIKE. It would be nice to cruise on Princess (instead of RCCL, NCL and others) with all the Platinum benefits I've earned on Carnival.

You must have misunderstood me. I would like to cruise OTHER Carnival brands with just the meager benefits Carnival gives me, by having my Carnival benefits CROSS OVER to that brand. Early embarkation would be nice for starters. The cruise I took on Princess reminded me so much of what Carnival USED TO BE LIKE. It would be nice to cruise on Princess (instead of RCCL, NCL and others) with all the Platinum benefits I've earned on Carnival.

Actually that part was not directed at you. When others compare Carnival to various cruise lines they seem to want Carnival to add perks whether past guest or cabin category or whatever. They must like Carnival for some reason.

What is it that Carnival provides that the others don't? If Carnival offers nothing for them, why do they still consider Carnival?

As for perks transferring to other lines, Carnival is so much larger than their sister lines that the sister lines would be overwhelmed to the detriment of the faithful cruisers of those lines.

^^ Funny ^^ :D

Seriously, the MAIN reason we tend to avoid Carnival is because we enjoy other cruise lines more.

That pretty much sums it up for me too.

Too much sameness with Carnival. Other cruise lines are always redesigning ships and changing things up. It keeps me wanting to return. Carnival is just - well - Carnival.

Edited by Cruzaholic41

As for perks transferring to other lines, Carnival is so much larger than their sister lines that the sister lines would be overwhelmed to the detriment of the faithful cruisers of those lines.

Please site your source for this information, I would like to learn more by reading up.

We may have achieved Diamond status on Carnival, but our frequency of Carnival cruising has drastically plunged over the last few years.

It comes down to:

> Lack of suite perks compared to other lines

> Lack of hot room service breakfast

tom, totally understood and you are 'entitled' to your opinion. there is nothing wrong with that. those two points are facts.

i can't believe some of the responses. i get what you're saying, and know your cruising history and tenure on this board. it's just getting more rude by the day it seems, probably part of what drove away some of the good posters here (aside from change in cruise lines for personal preference). happy travels.

what do you think would be enough (over a coffee maker in suites on vista) that would bring you back? i'm not encouraging it or have any material interest, but i'm just interested in what would be a change that 'swayed' your perception enough to give it another go.

It certainly could not be a level for level program. Likely, they would have to start a new universal program, and some people would undoubtedly lose some status. Stay off this site if that happens. Airlines do this every so often.

The main reason we mostly avoid Carnival (we've done 2) is because they don't have an enclosed/covered adult pool. That's were we spend a lot of time and the serenity decks are too open and windy.

Conquest class has this (Conquest, Liberty, Glory, Valor, Freedom). Adult pool at aft of ship and a movable glass dome if inclement weather.

We may have achieved Diamond status on Carnival, but our frequency of Carnival cruising has drastically plunged over the last few years.

It comes down to:

> Lack of suite perks compared to other lines

> Lack of hot room service breakfast

While I completely agree with your assessment, I never pay the money to sail in a suite so those perks don't mean anything to me. That's why I sail carnival because if they had to pay for those perks, my cruise in a non-suite cabin would probably cost more.

We travel frequently and like variety, cruising is a great way to relax and is a bargain compared to many other travel options that we enjoy. For a cruise we choose our itinerary first and the cruise line second. We don't gamble, are not heavy drinkers, don't cruise to eat and don't spend that much time in our cabin, so I'm fine with Carnival IF they have the itinerary I want.

There are many cruise options. If you want a suite and fine dining, there are other cruise lines to choose from.

Are options a wonderful thing?

I'm Platinum with Carnival butt I've been sailing Norwegian lately because for about the same price for a balcony cabin I get the drinks program specialty dining and much better entertainment. Foreign in her room I might be able to get a little cheaper with Carnival but otherwise I get just as good a price as with Norwegian. If I want a lower price Cruise I simply wait till close to the sale date and booked a balcony at a reduced price for a guarantee or if I want the drinks program I'm booked at a higher price.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Forums mobile app

At first, just read this for entertainment. Then, many points I read I agree with. We usually always book Carnival, balcony, Lido. Always have loved that location. 3 days before sailing 9/10/16, received an "upgrade" call. Could have gotten a $4000. suite for just $500. more than we had already paid. Passed. Good deal, but, as we don't stay in the room much and this was 2 decks below our "preferred" Lido deck, saw no reason to do it.

And we probably won't be cruising ANY line after this last experience. As some have stated, go, all inclusive vacations. We have before, mixed and matched. The all inclusive is more expensive than a cruise. This time we made the mistake of going on a smaller ship than we had ever been on. BIG mistake! I felt motion to the point of vertigo. Seems like the food was not as good. Loved the burgers, but, I don't take a vacation to eat hamburgers. Maybe things just didn't taste as well as I felt "wobbly" the whole trip.

I didn't mention to my husband that I was not enjoying the cruise. He works hard and I did not want to show disappointment. Then. when we disembarked, he looked at me and said, let's don't do this again. Hurray!! We will drop the cruise out of our rotation, and spend a bit more to do the all inclusive. It's quite a bit more for us as we live less than a mile from the port, so will have to factor airfare in. But, this cruise, honestly sucked so much, I really don't want to do another. Maybe, we are just burned out of it. We had some amazing ones and leave with good memories. I would never try to discourage anyone from going on a cruise. They can be awesome!:)

I would love to see it too. RCI is much larger to Celebrity than Carnival is to Princess, yet their reciprocal perks seem to be working just fine.

The point is that there are two (technically 3 with Azamara, but they have 2 ships). On the Carnival side there is Carnival, Princess, Cunard, HAL, Costa, P&O, have I missed some? Apples to oranges.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by jimbo5544

We sail on Triumph in 27 days. I'm curious as to what your issues were.

Your post was not addressed to me but I'm going to respond to it because I have sold more than 10 times on tryumph and she has been my favorite ship in the carnival Fleet. I went on a back-to-back-to-back cruise on Triumph in February 2016 and was greatly disappointed by the decrease in service. For example out of 5 room service orders placed I only received one. I had to wait 20 minutes for a drink when standing at the bar waiting to order. And when I ordered sitting at a table in any of the clubs or theaters I never received the drink. Reason #2) I paid as much to sail solo in an inter upper lower cabin as I would have had to pay to sail solo in a balcony guarantee on the newest of the Norwegian Cruise Line vessels next month. Reason #3) Carnival has done away with its live show band and decreased it's karaoke greatly. Norwegian Cruise Line still has a show band, still has live music throughout the ship, still has lots of karaoke and like Carnival has a dedicated Comedy Club. Now this doesn't mean that Norwegian Cruise Line won't do the same thing next month. And if and when they do I will be shopping Elsewhere for my Cruise vacations. I was loyal to Carnival for a very long time but I have learned that loyalty earns you very little.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Forums mobile app

Edited by Jana60