The MAIN reasons we (mostly) avoid Carnival

Tom-n-Cheryl

Tom-n-Cheryl, thank you for starting this thread. Although, it's probably not the best thread for me to be reading right now. I'm boarding my first Carnival cruise tomorrow (Liberty) and I'll be able to see for myself how Carnival stacks up against the other lines I've sailed.

I'm smart to enough to go with an open mind and to expect a good time....but we shall see. ;)

Yes, please do go with an open mind. So much is subjective and the "good old days" were never as good as some remember, and a lot of the bad has been forgotten.

A lot of the "cutbacks" were reallocation of resources - addition of a comedy club, Guy's Burgers, etc. Some people want to live in the past. Don't fall for that - live for today.

Yes, please do go with an open mind. So much is subjective and the "good old days" were never as good as some remember, and a lot of the bad has been forgotten.

A lot of the "cutbacks" were reallocation of resources - addition of a comedy club, Guy's Burgers, etc. Some people want to live in the past. Don't fall for that - live for today.

Great advice. I've seen cutbacks on other lines, but in return saw upgraded entertainment and other pretty cool venues added. I've never been on Carnival, so wouldn't notice the cutbacks anyways.

Of course, when all dissent on this thread vanishes, the Critic part becomes not so much :rolleyes:

While some do vanish, I would heartedly disagree on the reason. There certainly is no problem with people posting their experiences positive and not so much. There are some who post here who do so only in a negative vein for malicious reasons. That's why threads get pulled.

On regards to the op, whom we have sailed with and talked here many times, they mostly travel suites, we have beaten them a Captains suite on the Sunshine. This represents a fairly unique brand of cruiser and not one that Carnival caters to.

Sent from my iPhone

While some do vanish, I would heartedly disagree on the reason. There certainly is no problem with people posting their experiences positive and not so much. There are some who post here who do so only in a negative vein for malicious reasons. That's why threads get pulled.

On regards to the op, whom we have sailed with and talked here many times, they mostly travel suites, we have beaten them a Captains suite on the Sunshine. This represents a fairly unique brand of cruiser and not one that Carnival caters to.

Sent from my iPhone

Completely agree Jimbo. Though we've never sailed with Tom and Cheryl, we've followed their (Tom's really) posts and experiences on CC for many, many years and always appreciate their perspectives. I can also appreciate their preferences on suite amenities - we've also used suites on several lines and do find CCL lacking (though the price is generally less) while still enjoying the overall CCL "ambiance." :)

Edited by joepeka

Came through the storm much better than expected. The eye was just far enough off shore thankfully.

Tom

That's great to hear Tom. I have a former co-worker friend who lives on the ICW near Melbourne and have hoped he too came through the storm in good shape. :)

Thanks for the supporting comments guys. It's interesting on these boards (and I'd assume most others too) that there can be feeding frenzies at times.

Yes this is Cruise CRITIC, but most of the criticism (hopefully constructive) should be directed at the cruise lines, and not at each other. With regard to making comments to/about others I generally try to adhere to Thumper's Principle: If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin' at all. There seems to be a tendency for some, bolstered by the relative anonymity of the internet, to be rather quick to label and judge.

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

Thanks for the supporting comments guys. It's interesting on these boards (and I'd assume most others too) that there can be feeding frenzies at times.

Yes this is Cruise CRITIC, but most of the criticism (hopefully constructive) should be directed to the cruise lines, and not at each other. With regard to making comments to/about others I generally try to adhere to Thumper's Principle: If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin' at all. There seems to be a tendency for some, bolstered by the relative anonymity of the internet, to be rather quick to label and judge others.

Tom

Glad all is well. We are actually down in your fair state right now but on the other coast at our condo. It was a somewhat bumpy ride last night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes this is Cruise CRITIC, but most of the criticism (hopefully constructive) should be directed at the cruise lines, and not at each other. With regard to making comments to/about others I generally try to adhere to Thumper's Principle: If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin' at all. There seems to be a tendency for some, bolstered by the relative anonymity of the internet, to be rather quick to label and judge.

Tom

For some people saying negative things about a particular cruise lines means they should be ridiculed and attacked for their opinion.

interesting thread

For the premium paid for a suite it should include more perks to at least have some parity to competitive lines offerings. Dedicated lounge with cocktail hours, a suites only restaurant or lounge, concierge access, etc. Some combination of RCI's suite perks, MSC's Yacht Club, and NCL's Haven perks. I'm not the target audience, but certainly space itself for the price paid reaches diminishing returns pretty fast so those perks help justify the significantly higher costs.

Without opposing opinions, this would become cheerleaders, unicorns and puppies. Not to mention mind numbing boring. Back in our early cruises with Carnival, they always brought their A Game. That has diminished to, IMHO, an average experience. I liken it to a Mall at Christmas. Constant frenzy, loud and no rules. If Carnival fits your expectations, great. But to us, they were a teething ring. We gained knowledge of the cruising world and then tried another line after Carnival got old and repetitive. The wife still is insisting on bringing the grandkids on a cruise and starting their addiction. So I must stay up on the latest news and enjoy all of your musings.

Without opposing opinions, this would become cheerleaders, unicorns and puppies. Not to mention mind numbing boring. Back in our early cruises with Carnival, they always brought their A Game. That has diminished to, IMHO, an average experience. I liken it to a Mall at Christmas. Constant frenzy, loud and no rules. If Carnival fits your expectations, great. But to us, they were a teething ring. We gained knowledge of the cruising world and then tried another line after Carnival got old and repetitive. The wife still is insisting on bringing the grandkids on a cruise and starting their addiction. So I must stay up on the latest news and enjoy all of your musings.

I'm going back for the reasonable price and my expectations are in line with the product offering, but if I were trying to break newbies in to cruising, especially ones that may have the standard issue replies against cruising, I wouldn't try to break them in on Carnival. Five years ago I would, but no longer. Like you said, it has become an average experience, not their A game. I dislike some of the pricing games NCL and RCI play, but I think the product there is a step or three higher overall and gives a better impression to get newbies hooked.

Carnival isn't bad, they offer a lot of family vacation value, but they need to bring back some wow also, especially in regards to service and entertainment. Just my opinion.

Carnival's niche is family cruising. They definitely provide amusement for the kids which allows parents to enjoy their time as well. We are past that and now enjoy the mellower trips. Wife has an extreme high stress job and quiet time helps the recharging she needs. We have been to the Caribbean enough now and need to explore more. Carnival hasn't branched out and Alaska is not something we need after coming out of a Northern Winter.

I would say Carnival is the best mass market cruise line. Something for everyone including families. Not so much a niche as a universe. And they do it well. However, they will never be all things to all people. That is impossible. Individuals who need special attention or who would prefer to exclude certain demographics might be happier elsewhere and luckily there are lots of other choices.

If someone wants Carnival to be more like some other cruise line, IMO, they should stick with that other cruise line. Many people cruise on Carnival because they ARE Carnival.

I would say Carnival is the best mass market cruise line. Something for everyone including families. Not so much a niche as a universe. And they do it well. However, they will never be all things to all people. That is impossible. Individuals who need special attention or who would prefer to exclude certain demographics might be happier elsewhere and luckily there are lots of other choices.

If someone wants Carnival to be more like some other cruise line, IMO, they should stick with that other cruise line. Many people cruise on Carnival because they ARE Carnival.

For the price of a suite it's not unreasonable to want some of the perks and services offered on other lines. No one should be told to go away. it is about being competitive. Carnival still has to sell these suites at a premium. They may not have a Haven / Yacht Club type setup, but for those who have the big bucks to spend, I think it is alright for them to ask for Carnival to be competitive.

For the price of a suite it's not unreasonable to want some of the perks and services offered on other lines. No one should be told to go away. it is about being competitive. Carnival still has to sell these suites at a premium. They may not have a Haven / Yacht Club type setup, but for those who have the big bucks to spend, I think it is alright for them to ask for Carnival to be competitive.

I think Carnival has suites because some people want them, but not to be competitive with superior suites on other cruise lines. The suites sell, even if it is via an upsell call by Carnival. A win-win. Carnival sells the suites and some cruisers score big.

It is fine to ask Carnival for perks, but don't expect them.

I don't think people want Carnival to be like other lines. The other lines are probably happy there is a universe for that niche. Many people go to Walmart because they are Walmart, demographically speaking that is.

I don't think people want Carnival to be like other lines. The other lines are probably happy there is a universe for that niche. Many people go to Walmart because they are Walmart, demographically speaking that is.

There you go, what a novel post, original, on topic and greatly stated.....

Sent from my iPhone

OK, I'm bored now. Moving on.

Me, too! As far as all the posts about the quality of Carnival's services going down, what HASN'T? It is just a sad fact of life. Every year for more than you can imagine, I buy my husband, 18 white t shirts, that he wears under his dress shirt and jacket for work. Every year the fabric is thinner and the price is higher. That is just one of millions of examples of how life just IS! Why, then, is it such a surprise that Carnival's quality has gone down? We still cruise them. I did complain on some of these threads about my last cruise, but, it was mostly my own fault as we booked a smaller ship than we had ever been on, and I didn't like it, for mainly that reason. Had the food quality gone down? Yes. But, there is always something to find to eat that is good. ETC..... I feel it would be rare to expect, higher quality, from year to year, on a cruise, UNLESS one is willing to pay much more to receive it. Just saying.:)

On topic..It seems it could be so simple and not a lot more expensive, and perhaps benefit selling more of their suites closer to brochure rate to at least offer all items free on room service, add a hot B-fast to room service if not there now, and choice of a free dinner at restaurant of choice for 2; or 7 free cocktails PP of fancy non- alcoholic drinks or coffees, (14 per cruise) on ships w/o restaurants. Does not have to be the whole enchilada to give a little perk for the amount more for suites on Carnival. At least free coffee......

Off topic...glad my friends here are ok...This bad windy hurricane so long traveled, sparked memories with my fellow small HS group that has moved all over nation and some of the bad winds in the 70's at 80's that took our barn roof like a deck of cards at 6000 feet in Montana. One still in area, Beartooth Mtns in Montana, told me that a pilot recently flying around closet peaks to our ranches was sure winds were a 100 MPH..I had posted this is the difference between 80 and 150 mph, rain and a blizzard or a Chinook wind, and the fear of the ocean with an aftermath. After living through bad deals on the ranch a few times I would be even more afraid i think with something related but unknown...Tom, Jim and all...glad you are ok...onward we go!

To each their own..I get Tom's reasoning for his cruise experience and level. Viva cruising ability for all. So lucky many are to like it all and just go for what you want and can afford at time; educated from here.

Edited by sjn911

I was like, wow, until I saw the price is PER PERSON...lol.

Unless we hit the lotto, we will be sailing with Carnival for a hot minute or 2

It took me a minute too, to notice that the price was PER PERSON. I about fell out my chair. LOL

We just booked a 7 night balcony on MSC Divina, (and we picked our location), and the price was $1,460 for 2 people, and that included all taxes and port fees (didn't include the tips, and no OBC), but still.