Explain ICE check port of Key West

SO and I are a bit confused regarding ICE (Customs Check) while on Enchantment with a port call Key West.

We could not exit the ship until we meet with customs on the ship in Key West. Times were staggered by Muster Station number. Some people couldn't get off the ship until after noon. We had muster station 2 and our call was at 10:15.

We had to show passport and sea pass, or other proper ID. Is it because we first went to two island in the Bahamas? If is was for security, I have no problem with it but it sure was an inconvenience.

I've heard on CC about this in other ports going to Canada. It takes up a good hour of ones time. We got a punch in our sea pass card and they also recorded us on a list.

The same thing will happen if you visit St. Thomas or San Juan AFTER visiting another island country, because you are then re-entering the US after visiting a foreign country. Just be glad it's an abbreviated version of immigration and customs, rather than making you fill out an actual declaration form and show up with all your bags. :eek:

Because you are coming back to the US from a foreign port, you need to go through customs/immigration.

That is what I thought. I was a minor inconvenience but if necessary, fine with me.

Do you know the reason? I do know that they had the wrong person on my SO Sea Pass. We know this because each time her sea pass card was scanned it popped up a different name. Even when we went to our customs check in Key West, it popped up as the other lady. All Royal did was ask cabin # and her passport and then compared it to a hard copy list, which she was on properly.

However, when we received our final statement, full detail, a perk for suite guest (they say), we had charges at the pool on our detail charges, from the other person. We were off the ship by 7:20 and didn't want to wait around to clear the charges. The line the last night was wrapped around the GS desk a couple of times, so we couldn't check our charges. I guess next time we will ask the Concierge to check our bill.

The same thing will happen if you visit St. Thomas or San Juan AFTER visiting another island country, because you are then re-entering the US after visiting a foreign country. Just be glad it's an abbreviated version of immigration and customs, rather than making you fill out an actual declaration form and show up with all your bags. :eek:

Yes, I will take the abbreviated version over the full one anytime. I just have a hard time understanding the reason? If is is for security, I have absolutely no problem with this process.

That is what I thought. I was a minor inconvenience but if necessary, fine with me.

Do you know the reason? I do know that they had the wrong person on my SO Sea Pass. We know this because each time her sea pass card was scanned it popped up a different name. Even when we went to our customs check in Key West, it popped up as the other lady. All Royal did was ask cabin # and her passport and then compared it to a hard copy list, which she was on properly.

However, when we received our final statement, full detail, a perk for suite guest (they say), we had charges at the pool on our detail charges, from the other person. We were off the ship by 7:20 and didn't want to wait around to clear the charges. The line the last night was wrapped around the GS desk a couple of times, so we couldn't check our charges. I guess next time we will ask the Concierge to check our bill.

If there are charges on your bill that are not yours, you can resolve this post-cruise by calling C&A or customer service.

Point of clarity...when you port in Key West after visiting a foreign port, everyone must clear Immigrations. You do not clear Customs. That comes at the end of the cruise.

The agency responsible is CBP. Immigrations checks vary depending on the US port. In Key West, in-person Immigrations clearance is still mandated.

Hmmm, we went to San Juan after Labadee and didn't go through customs.

Same here. It must be 10 years or more since we had to clear immigration at San Juan (as a port of call) or St. Thomas after visiting foreign ports.

Point of clarity...when you port in Key West after visiting a foreign port, everyone must clear Immigrations. You do not clear Customs. That comes at the end of the cruise.

The agency responsible is CBP. Immigrations checks vary depending on the US port. In Key West, in-person Immigrations clearance is still mandated.

Ok, I get it that it will happen, but what is the reason? Does it makes us safer? Is it for security? Maybe for some job security as they had about 4 or more officers checking our stuff and asking questions.

I'm guessing the reason is to prevent illegal immigration?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That makes some sense.... just trying to run through my head how they get on the ship.... I guess an Illegal could secure a fake US driver license, then book and board a ship, and then get off in Key West.... but if that was the case, they would have already been here when then boarded?

So it must be they boarded in Coco Cay or Nassau? Fake sea pass.... bad security getting back on to the boat.... your picture is taken when you board or check in? Still playing around in my mind how someone could get on the ship? If they could sneak on the ship, couldn't they do the same thing to come to this country elsewhere..... I am still clueless

Still playing around in my mind how someone could get on the ship? If they could sneak on the ship, couldn't they do the same thing to come to this country elsewhere..... I am still clueless

Well, here's the thing. You don't think like someone who wants to sneak into a country. Those that do think this way are quite creative at thinking of ways to do this.

As to whether they could do the same thing to enter the country elsewhere, yes. And they do. But just because they're doing it somewhere else doesn't mean CBP should stop checking the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's the same thing if you fly into the US with a layover in another US city before your final destination. You always clear immigration at the first point of entry into the US, no matter what.

When you board the ship or the plane in the US, your passport is checked against the no-fly list and that it is genuine, but your immigration status isn't checked because you're leaving. But they do of course want to know whether you have the right to be coming in when you get back. You wouldn't need to go through the hassle of getting a fake ID to get on the ship if you still had a valid passport from your country of origin.

They also catch citizens who are wanted for certain crimes at these immigration checkpoints, just FYI!

Edited by lbjen

Funny thing, people always think you need a passport to leave the USA when in fact you don't.

You only need one to return to prove US citizenship.

It's a joke when the news reports a crook was ordered to surrender their passport. That does absolutely zero to keep somebody from leaving the country.

... It's a joke when the news reports a crook was ordered to surrender their passport. That does absolutely zero to keep somebody from leaving the country.

Not having a passport would prevent one from flying to another country, but I suppose one could still get out of the country other ways.

Same here. It must be 10 years or more since we had to clear immigration at San Juan (as a port of call) or St. Thomas after visiting foreign ports.

I specifically recall clearing on arrival in St. Thomas in 2007 (9 years ago) because we were hungover and didn't hear the announcement and were two of the last 4 or 5 pax being paged.

Yes, they stopped requiring customs checks in SJ & ST years ago.

Are you sure? Or did you go to those ports first, rather than after visiting a foreign port? I only ask because in addition to the time referenced above, I know we've had to do it at least 1 or 2 other times since then. It was very minimal...just show your Seapass and you're done.

As for not clearing after visiting Labadee as someone asked, maybe it's because it's privately leased and not technically considered Haiti? I don't know, just tossing out an idea.

There was some mention that ICE might be checking for people on the no fly list. We saw no computer or list. About 4+ agents/officers were aboard and they just looked at our passports. Lines to agents were random.

I am totally in for safety and security for all. Still not convinced it really performs a service. We were first off the ship so it was not a big deal to us, but the last to go was around 1130. Probably not off the ship until after noon. Throw that in with a short time in port, it could really bother some.

What if we wanted to sleep in?? We were REQUIRED to report at our set time based on Muster Station.

I am against Government waste. Like I said, if there is a good reason for this, I am not opposed.

Edited by troykahack

I am against Government waste. Like I said, if there is a good reason for this, I am not opposed.

When a ship leaves a US port and goes straight to another US port, the government is satisfied with the manifest. However, control of that manifest is lost when the ship visits a foreign port. Ships take on crew in foreign ports and in many cases, take on passengers who either missed the ship, or numerous other reasons. Therefore, when the ship returns to mainland USA, the government performs an Immigrations check to account for all persons coming into the country.

I've seen this process in motion numerous times in Key West. I wasn't CBP, but I did work alongside them. Without getting into specifics, I will say that 2-3 times a year, this process is made well worth it. This is a minor inconvenience, is not government waste and frankly, the details of the process are probably better left unknown to the general public.

When a ship leaves a US port and goes straight to another US port, the government is satisfied with the manifest. However, control of that manifest is lost when the ship visits a foreign port. Ships take on crew in foreign ports and in many cases, take on passengers who either missed the ship, or numerous other reasons. Therefore, when the ship returns to mainland USA, the government performs an Immigrations check to account for all persons coming into the country.

I've seen this process in motion numerous times in Key West. I wasn't CBP, but I did work alongside them. Without getting into specifics, I will say that 2-3 times a year, this process is made well worth it. This is a minor inconvenience, is not government waste and frankly, the details of the process are probably better left unknown to the general public.

Ok, but how do they check?? The only scan we got was by Royal security not ICE. All they did was look at our Passport. To make security matters worse, my SO Sea Pass card indicated she was someone else when scanned. We even got charges on our account from someone else on my SO Sea Pass account. So it is possible another passenger was listed as my SO. All Royal did when she scanned as some other person was ask our cabin number and since we were together in the same cabin and I said we were together, we were sent to wait in line for ICE to call us. I didn't see them with any device to check our status.