Private Islands

babs135

I know a number of cruise lines have private islands but I'm curious as to the 'ins and outs' of these.

Does the company own the island?

How do they choose which island?

Are they uninhabited or if I was to wander off the beaten track would I actually find a town full of locals?

Thanks in advance

Depends on the island, whether you can "wander"....Coco Cay is RCI's leased island in the Bahamas....there is nothing else there except for the ship's offerings. Same with HMC....

Labadee is RCI's private BEACH (not an island at all) on the N. coast of Haiti. It's fenced, and you CANNOT leave the fenced area.

Princess has their beach on the island of Eleuthera in the Bahamas....you can leave the private area, if you wish.

On all of the "private" areas, all amusements and food are through the ship.

...Repeat..DO NOT leave the fenced in area of Labadee...NOT SAFE-It is Haiti...

Princess Cay is fine...part of the Bahamas...

First of all you can't leave the property at Labadee and second of all it is very secure. Many of the employees and vendors there are locals. Been there many times - it is very safe.

Labadee is RCI's private BEACH (not an island at all) on the N. coast of Haiti. It's fenced, and you CANNOT leave the fenced area.

Labadee is for the people who want to visit Haiti but are incapable or unwilling to deal w the real Haiti - not that I blame them. The real Haiti must be very depressing. Just don't say that you have visited Haiti.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Labadee is for the people who want to visit Haiti but are incapable or unwilling to deal w the real Haiti - not that I blame them. The real Haiti must be very depressing. Just don't say that you have visited Haiti.

DON

Sorry, but I don't understand your comments at all. My reason for visiting Labadee is that it is one port of call and part of several itineraries that RCI offers - nothing more, nothing less. There is no motive to want to visit a place that I am unable or unwilling to deal with - whatever that means. Having that port of call also supports Haiti as $8 is paid to the Government as a port fee for every passenger that visits there. With ships there at least 5 days a week that adds up. And any money spent as gratuities to the beach attendants and purchases form the local merchants supports the local economy as those workers are locals to the area. Not sure why someone shouldn't say they've visited Haiti. Just don't get that!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I will be visiting Labadee in December for the first time....my church does mission work and supports children in Hattai so I have information about Hattai, but won't really see Labadee as the mainland of Hattai my any means but labadee is in Hattai, so you can say you've been there!

I will be visiting Labadee in December for the first time....my church does mission work and supports children in Hattai so I have information about Hattai, but won't really see Labadee as the mainland of Hattai my any means but labadee is in Hattai, so you can say you've been there!

I believe we will be there at the same time. :) ;) It is a very nice port of call and a day we always enjoy.

Sorry, but I don't understand your comments at all. My reason for visiting Labadee is that it is one port of call and part of several itineraries that RCI offers - nothing more, nothing less. There is no motive to want to visit a place that I am unable or unwilling to deal with - whatever that means. Having that port of call also supports Haiti as $8 is paid to the Government as a port fee for every passenger that visits there. With ships there at least 5 days a week that adds up. And any money spent as gratuities to the beach attendants and purchases form the local merchants supports the local economy as those workers are locals to the area. Not sure why someone shouldn't say they've visited Haiti. Just don't get that!

Labadee is a fenced off enclave on the island of Hispaniola -which is shared by Haiti and the Dominican Republic. While it is within Haitian territory it really should not be considered being in Haiti the way being at Philipsburg is being in St. Maarten, or being in Nassau is being in the Bahamas. Saying that visiting Labadee is visiting Haiti is sort of like saying going to Guantanamo Bay is visiting Cuba.

Haitians generally are not permitted to enter Labadee - just as cruise passengers visiting Labadee have no right or opportunity to leave RCI's property; some Haitians may be employed there but they are RCI employees first and last. You are NOT experiencing Hait when you visit Labadee - you are visiting property leased from Haiti by RCI which is staffed by RCI employees who may or may not be Haitian.

I could be wrong but I was told that residents of Haiti pay the Haitian government X amount of dollars to go to Labadee as vendors for a maximum of 5 days . After that period they can re-apply but must wait a period of several months .

I have several Labadee tee shirts that read Labadee ,Haiti and even though RCI owns the island I consider it to be Haiti.

The only private island I have knowledge about is Half Moon Cay. The real name of this island is Little San Salvador Island. It is uninhabited, and is owned by Holland America. Since Holland America is owned by Carnival Corporation, and Carnival Cruise Lines (CCL) is also owned by Carnival Corp, CCL is lucky enough to also be able to use the island also. And trust me, this island is pure heaven!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bakersdozen12