Hurricane Matthew tips

sassy_mrsjay

Ummm... where do I begin?

First, you are flying into "FLL" I take it? That is Fort Lauderdale. Not FFL, which is Fairfield, Iowa. ;)

Now, this flight is noon on which day? Thursday, Friday, Saturday?

I live in south east Florida, so a bit of detail is required. Also, be prepared that your flight might be cancelled, if not your cruise.

Thanks.:)

Sorry about that! I hope it is cancelled. We are leaving for the airport tomorrow morning if the flight is not cancelled.

Okay, I have looked at your prior posts, you are sailing on Enchantment leaving Friday. I have not seen anything cancelling that cruise or extending the current cruise yet. I have only seen information for Empress and Majesty. Have you done your online check in and given them an email address or a cell phone number for a text? Make sure you do so you are kept updated. Also, keep an eye on your rollcall to see if others have received information. I would also keep looking at the weather update on the cruise line's website.

No problem, just need detailed info.

Here's the deal with FLL, from their web site.

http://www.broward.org/airport/Pages/Default.aspx

"Hurricane Update. FLL will remain open until 10:30 a.m. on Thursday, October 6th. Airlines will suspend flights no later than 10:30 a.m. on October 6th. Check with your airline about the status of your flight's arrival or departure. Some airlines have already suspended flights. For North Perry Airport, air service will be suspended as of 8 a.m. on Thursday, October 6th."

As I expected, no operations Thursday or Friday especially.

Royal has a link at the top of the main page that shows weather changes and at least so far yours isn't on it. See: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/itineraryUpdates.do

Maybe they are hoping Mathew has passed by then. The real issue is that your airline may cancel flights - Ft Lauderdale airport is closing at 10:30 AM Thursday. Bus service is closing down at midnight tonight.

Your flight is cancelled, but your cruise MAY NOT be. I hope you have travel insurance.

Just got off phone with cousin in Ft. L and he said most businesses are closing tomorrow. He is away from Ocean so just worrying about heavy rain at this point and street flooding. From news there seems like Ft. Pierce north will be the likely site of most damage.

We are on west coast and trees in my back yard are swinging and swaying like mad. Home none come crashing down on house. We are about 6 hours north of Ft. L.

Thanks. I have been looking but I didn't see this. Thanks everyone

Have you called Royal Caribbean or your airline or your hotel? You might still be able to cancel your room for tomorrow if you can't get down there. Plus, it would free it up for someone who might be evacuating their home.

Just got off phone with cousin in Ft. L and he said most businesses are closing tomorrow. He is away from Ocean so just worrying about heavy rain at this point and street flooding. From news there seems like Ft. Pierce north will be the likely site of most damage.

We are on west coast and trees in my back yard are swinging and swaying like mad. Home none come crashing down on house. We are about 6 hours north of Ft. L.

Hoping you and your family, and all our CC friends in Florida, Georgia, and the Carolina's will be safe.

sassy mrsjay,

If your flight is cancelled, see if your airline can get you somewhere else in Florida. The west coast of Florida would be the best bet. Fort Myers or Tampa. You may be able to then rent a car and drive to the port.

Just a thought. Good luck. I hope everything works out for you.

Chris :)

Okay, Snit, I have to ask:

You are 6 hours north of FLL on the "West" coast.

"We are on west coast and trees in my back yard are swinging and swaying like mad. Home none come crashing down on house. We are about 6 hours north of Ft. L."

Hey, it might just be convective activity there. Right now at Boca Raton it is "dead calm" before the storm!:eek:

Well, at least I got the car in the garage! :D

Hi... We have a 12 noon flight from RDU to FFL. We want to stay in FFL but need advice on hotels and staying safe.I have never cruised doing a Hurricane. Any tips you have are welcomed???

Have you called Royal Caribbean or your airline or your hotel? You might still be able to cancel your room for tomorrow if you can't get down there. Plus, it would free it up for someone who might be evacuating their home.

OP does NOT have a hotel booked.

"We are on west coast and trees in my back yard are swinging and swaying like mad. Home none come crashing down on house. We are about 6 hours north of Ft. L."

Hey, it might just be convective activity there. Right now at Boca Raton it is "dead calm" before the storm!:eek:

I was thinking the same thing, I'm on the west coast of Florida (Tampa) and it's not windy at all :):confused:

Lou, This is off topic. Have you been evacuated? I have a friend who has a place in Boca who currently sailing on the Anthem right now. Being in NJ we are not getting your local news.

We are leaving for the airport tomorrow morning if the flight is not cancelled.

FLL is closed as of 10:30 am Thursday morning. You will not be taking that flight.

From their website:

Hurricane Update. FLL will remain open until 10:30 a.m. on Thursday, October 6th. Airlines will suspend flights no later than 10:30 a.m. on October 6th. Check with your airline about the status of your flight's arrival or departure. Some airlines have already suspended flights.

Hi... We have a 12 noon flight from RDU to FFL. We want to stay in FFL but need advice on hotels and staying safe.I have never cruised doing a Hurricane. Any tips you have are welcomed???

Actually CRUISING during a hurricane isn't usually a problem, because the captain will divert the ship. Your problem is your plans to arrive by air into an airport that will be right smack in the middle of extreme weather during your scheduled arrival. Airport will be closed. Do you have travel insurance? Because I seriously doubt you're going on this cruise. What day is the ship scheduled to depart?

Hoping you and your family, and all our CC friends in Florida, Georgia, and the Carolina's will be safe.

Thank You. Hope everyone on East Coast rides the storm out safely if they did not follow the orders to evacuate. It looks worse for them as each hour passes. Following the Weather Channel.

Hey Lou,

We are in Citrus County (Homosassa, Crystal River, Inverness, Citrus Springs)

about 1 1/2 hour north of Tampa, and 1 1/2 hour north west of Orlando. This is where Red Sox Ted Williams lived prior to his passing. Even this far north/west everything is closing down and everyone seems to be preparing, especially for loss of electricity.

I was thinking the same thing, I'm on the west coast of Florida (Tampa) and it's not windy at all :):confused:

Maybe our trees just like to dance in the wind!!!! It is not quite as windy today but trees are still swaying.