Buying Food Souvenirs at Port Destinations?

HippieChick02

One of my stops is in Nova Scotia and there's a little Farmer's Market at Seaport I want to visit where I plan to buy some maple syrup, oats, homemade jams, etc. What's the rule in customs on bringing food back into the U.S. bought as souvenirs?

Sealed and marked OK for export is the standard. Maple syrup will be fine. Is your final destination a US port? If so, it's not an issue. If flying from CD to the US, then be sure to pack anything you buy in checked luggage. I'm not sure about oats???

I've purchased food products, even tulip bulbs in Amsterdam with US approval seal, and never had a problem. Anything fresh, seeds, meats, will be a problem.

Darcy

Sealed and marked OK for export is the standard. Maple syrup will be fine. Is your final destination a US port? If so, it's not an issue. If flying from CD to the US, then be sure to pack anything you buy in checked luggage. I'm not sure about oats???

I've purchased food products, even tulip bulbs in Amsterdam with US approval seal, and never had a problem. Anything fresh, seeds, meats, will be a problem.

Darcy

Well, oats, granola, maybe oat bars, not sure, just looking at the list of things I might be interested in buying: http://www.halifaxfarmersmarket.com/the-shelf/ <-- this is where I'll be visiting and it's just lots of homemade goodies. Definately getting maple syrup and some jams but I'm sure I'll end up buying alot of things, honey, apple butter, etc. Cruise departs and arrives in New York, flying out of New York to go back home, so it'd really just be customs getting off the ship, not at the airport. But seeds are a no-go? Even in original packaging? :(

One of my stops is in Nova Scotia and there's a little Farmer's Market at Seaport I want to visit where I plan to buy some maple syrup, oats, homemade jams, etc. What's the rule in customs on bringing food back into the U.S. bought as souvenirs?

I did your homework for you.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/know-before-you-go/prohibited-and-restricted-items

If you are flying home, syrups and jams are liquids, not allowed as carry-ons, only checked in.

Kind of incorrect. If you put them in multiple 3.2 oz containers, all are OK IF they are permitted on/off the ship per Customs. If you want something bad enough (like some REALLY good maple syrup, you do what you have to do if you carry on ;)

I once had some TSA idiot try to take some tomatoes from me that I bought at a farm stand in Maryland and taking home with me; he said there was juice inside the tomatoes, so they were not allowed. Asked for supervisor and I got to keep my tomatoes - I think the idiot was trying to get ingredients for his lunch :rolleyes:

Kind of incorrect. If you put them in multiple 3.2 oz containers, all are OK IF they are permitted on/off the ship per Customs. If you want something bad enough (like some REALLY good maple syrup, you do what you have to do if you carry on ;)

I once had some TSA idiot try to take some tomatoes from me that I bought at a farm stand in Maryland and taking home with me; he said there was juice inside the tomatoes, so they were not allowed. Asked for supervisor and I got to keep my tomatoes - I think the idiot was trying to get ingredients for his lunch :rolleyes:

The better reason to stop you would've been the danger to local agriculture (it's the unseen "hitchhikers" that are the potentially devastating threat). Try taking loose tomatoes into an agricultural dependent state like California or Hawaii and you'll learn a very quick lesson in why it's important to follow the rules.

OP: please don't bring uninspected/not packaged for out-of-state/country sale across state lines or international borders (including on/off cruise ships).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

The better reason to stop you would've been the danger to local agriculture (it's the unseen "hitchhikers" that are the potentially devastating threat). Try taking loose tomatoes into an agricultural dependent state like California or Hawaii and you'll learn a very quick lesson in why it's important to follow the rules.

OP: please don't bring uninspected/not packaged for out-of-state/country sale across state lines or international borders (including on/off cruise ships).

Wasn't going to an agricultural sensitive state. Plus, it isn't TSA's job to do agri check. Supposed to be weapons/bomb detection. I would take produce from farms around my family's place all the time. I think this idiot was just hungry...

The containers all have to fit in that quart-sized ziploc though.

The syrups and jams should be ok. Raw oats could be problematic.

The experience I had at the airport... The woman a head of me had some jams and sauces. They were still double sealed in the original clear packaging. They would not let her take them through. So if you do buy anything considered liquid, pack it well and put it in your checked baggage.

Maple syrup will not be an issue. Oats and homemade items are probably not allowed.

Here is the link to the CBP website that should be your go to source to answer this question:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/know-before-you-go/prohibited-and-restricted-items

The experience I had at the airport... The woman a head of me had some jams and sauces. They were still double sealed in the original clear packaging. They would not let her take them through. So if you do buy anything considered liquid, pack it well and put it in your checked baggage.

This has nothing to do with customs, which is OP's question. What you can fly with is completely different than what you can bring into the country. Just because you have to include the item in checked luggage doesn't mean that you can bring it into the country, and just because you can bring it into the country doesn't mean that it can go in the passenger compartment of a plane.

The best solution is to pack your souvenirs in checked luggage.

If you are unsure about the oats then call CBP before you leave home & check

We have brought grits back to Canada no problem they were in a bag they were processed & not raw material

if in doubt check first

The containers all have to fit in that quart-sized ziploc though.

So, it would be close to a quart of syrup you'd bring home. Not bad ;) Just saying that if someone really wants to do it, it can be done.

At the end of a trip, you can dump what you have in your kippie bag and add in that syrup! Or, put the stuff in your checked bag and be able to carry on the syrup... Sometimes, you gotta get creative!