Saint John, New Brunswick gears up to host unplanned cruise ships stops

kazu

Yes, thanks for that apostrophe. My late mother-in-law was born in Newfoundland in 1911.

This discussion of unexpected arrivals reminds me of 9/11/2001 when the wonderful people of Gander, NL, took thousands of international travelers into their homes and public buildings after flights were grounded. Strangers were fed, given laundry tokens, free sightseeing, interpreters, and every possible measure of hospitality for days. Virtually all the citizens of the small city and surrounding towns pitched in to help.

If you ever get to Gander, the whole story is told at their wonderful aviation museum.

There is a book by Jim Defede called " The Day the World Came to Town". It tells the very heartwarming story of the events that took place in Gander on that terrible day that produced so many other heartbreaking stories.

Edited by sapper1

There is a book by Jim Defede called " The Day the World Came to Town". It tells the very heartwarming story of the events that took place in Gander on that terrible day that produced so many other heartbreaking stories.

A news program here, maybe 60 Minutes, did a story on the people stranded but welcomed in Gander, and the friendships that still existed all these years alter.

(bold is mine) Yes, it is a friendly city. When we took a local bus out to the rapids, it was nearly empty and a man sitting near us wished us good morning and we got to chatting. When he learned we're from the NYC-metro area, he told us he used to visit a relative in the city, and remembered a very popular weatherman, now long retired. One of those "I hadn't thought about that for years!" kind of conversations.

How old are the enclosed gangways? I can remember being in Saint John on earlier cruises, and the gangway was a ramp to ground level. As the tides changed, they had to change the gangway to a different deck.

The Marco Polo terminal was built in 2000 and the Diamond Jubilee in 2012 or 2013, I believe. I can't remember if the gangways were built at the same time as the terminal or added after the terminals opened.

I know the old gangways were a challenge at low tide.

I have added a link to some pictures of the Marco Polo terminal and if you click on the thumbnails you will find a picture of the elaborate gangway system.

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMP2X4_Marco_Polo_Cruise_Terminal_St_John_NB_Canada

The whole L shaped structure is the gangway and it raises and lowers with the tide. There is an escalator to reach the gangway so no crowded elevators to suffer through and you don't have to climb stairs.

Edited by sapper1

I went to St. John when I was in the US Navy in the late 60s. Wonderful town then, I cannot imagine three cruise ships being in port as it was then.

Jim

No argument there! Big changes since then. I believe the Harbour Bridge was just opened in 1968.

Edited by sapper1

An excellent read. There's also a wonderful play called "Come from Away" that's playing for about the next week at historic Ford's Theater in Washington DC, and opens soon in New York and Toronto.

I think Gander actually only handled about 10% of the diverted planes. At least 15 Canadian airports also did so, but most handled the visitors with off the shelf resources rather than depending on the compassion, friendship, and resourcefulness of the locals. I believe that both St. Johns and Moncton accepted planes although Saint John was not involved (perhaps a shorter runway).

Roy

Yes, thanks for that apostrophe. My late mother-in-law was born in Newfoundland in 1911.

This discussion of unexpected arrivals reminds me of 9/11/2001 when the wonderful people of Gander, NL, took thousands of international travelers into their homes and public buildings after flights were grounded. Strangers were fed, given laundry tokens, free sightseeing, interpreters, and every possible measure of hospitality for days. Virtually all the citizens of the small city and surrounding towns pitched in to help.

If you ever get to Gander, the whole story is told at their wonderful aviation museum.

We know Shirley Brooks Jones, the Delta passenger who organized the fundraising that resulted in a scholarship fund set up for the youth of Gander. She returns to Gander every year to present the scholarship.

I confess I do not know the difference between the two St John areas but Gander is forever cemented in my mind.

As you exit the Marco Polo terminal, you can either walk to the vendors' marquee tent or you can walk out the gate to the street. NOBODY is forced into the vendor marquee. It is all about choices.

Even with the building of our lovely second terminal, all foot passengers are directed to the other entrance. Everyone turns left at the sidewalk and if you leave the terminal you came out of and turn left, you have to walk across the entrance where all the tour busses enter and exit. It is also a very busy street and passengers are directed to the Marco Polo exit because the crosswalks and traffic lights are down there. Safety is the issue here and not directing passengers to the shopping.

Saint John is to be commended for the approach they are taking -- keeping the cruisers safe :)

Ketchikan used to have volunteers standing on the sidewalk shouting at cruise passengers "Get off the road, get off the road". My former in-laws showed us the video :D

Ketchikan now has barricades that force disembarking passengers to various crossing spots.

Saint John's approach seems safer, more civilized and much more welcoming :)

I heard this on the news this morning. What a great thing to do instead of cancel cruises. What a wonderful port to unexpectedly visit! I just hope the passengers had time to switch their packing from Caribbean to Canada/New England!

Sure wish I was on a 'dam cruise someplace. :D

That being said, our home and property have fortunately been spared any serious damage. Even kept our power all night and today thus far. I know that others here on the boards from Florida (and Ga, SC and NC yet) likely have had problems though and I hope they all are safe and well.

It is so interesting to note how people everywhere are so willing to do whatever they can to accommodate those displaced by Mother Nature, even if it is a cruise ship! :D

I am so very happy to see your update. We were all thinking of you and DW yesterday and in the days leading up to the expected landfall. Unfortunately our computer ate my address book and my head hasn't been in the game long enough to go back and find your addresses. So sorry. DS was asking about you both this morning and wanted to know if you were coming to stay. I told him that you are all welcome anytime but I am sure that you were not in the evacuation zone.

Hearts and prayers that it blows itself out instead of coming back for a second visit.

I heard this on the news this morning. What a great thing to do instead of cancel cruises. What a wonderful port to unexpectedly visit! I just hope the passengers had time to switch their packing from Caribbean to Canada/New England!

LOL - what I saw on the two cruise lines sights led me to believe that passengers were given adequate notice and the option to cancel - which is very fair IMO.

And this time of year the cruise coming & going through the Bay of Fundy should have some great fall colors, an added bonus.

Allan

As long as we don't get too much rain Allan, the colours should still be good. Some of the reds may disappear but others are coming on the scene as are the other trees with other colours that are just coming into their glory. Only problem is the drought may make the leaves fall sooner.

Edited by kazu

We wre in Saint John at least 8-10 times. I savedone of the small Canaeda flag lapelpins they gave me DH each as wr disembarked. Hope. I'm ingeresteed to hear if they still make all gurrestss go yhtrough y the craft/ souvenirr tent before you can straight to the street No. exceptions. :D

Let me try to help. You are not forced to the vendors.

As you exit the Marco Polo terminal, you can either walk to the vendors' tent or you can walk out the gate to the street. No one has to go into the vendor area. It is all about your choice.

Even with the new building of the second terminal (not sure if you were there when it was built or not) , all passengers that are walking are directed to the other entrance. Everyone turns left at the sidewalk and if you leave the terminal you came out of and turn left, you have to walk across the entrance where all the tour busses enter and exit. It is also a very busy street and passengers are directed to the Marco Polo exit because the crosswalks and traffic lights are down there. Safety is the issue here. No one has to shop.

Saint John is a very friendly city - welcoming meet and greet team, people willing to help someone that even looks hesitant.

AND a city that is concerned about accessibility and safety. It's all good ;)

There may be another one. The Grandeur of the Seas was due for a 5-day cruise to Bermuda. It's been a bit of a mess. It suddenly left 90 minutes ahead of schedule when the Coast Guard announced a closure of the Chesapeake Bay. Destination is still unclear but is assumed to be Canada and Marine traffic says St. Johns. It's JUST reaching the mouth of the bay and turning North. I don't think it's possible to go all the way to Newfoundland and back in what's left of 5 days, even New Brunswick is stretching it. My guess is that the destination was mis-entered and it really should be Saint John. Even at that it may just be a Thanksgiving evening in Canada to satisfy the PVSA.

Roy

There may be another one. The Grandeur of the Seas was due for a 5-day cruise to Bermuda. It's been a bit of a mess. It suddenly left 90 minutes ahead of schedule when the Coast Guard announced a closure of the Chesapeake Bay. Destination is still unclear but is assumed to be Canada and Marine traffic says St. Johns. It's JUST reaching the mouth of the bay and turning North. I don't think it's possible to go all the way to Newfoundland and back in what's left of 5 days, even New Brunswick is stretching it. My guess is that the destination was mis-entered and it really should be Saint John. Even at that it may just be a Thanksgiving evening in Canada to satisfy the PVSA.

Roy

It's not showing on the port schedule Roy, but neither is one of the other last minute diversions yet. It is entirely possible.

Just over 25 years ago, Saint John, New Brunswick became a port stop when it harboured a cruise ship during a hurricane. The ship was so impressed they decided to return and the rest is history ;)

The port authorities are busy now arranging tours, plans for changes in the itineraries.

October 13th will see three cruise ships in port when only 1 was planned. Anthem of the Seas, Disney Dream & Carnival Pride. Both Disney Dream and the Pride have wisely changed their complete itinerary. (Disney Dream was doing a Caribbean I believe & the Carnival Pride was going to do a Bahamas).

That's a lot of people for this "best little city in the East" (as a former Mayor called this city) but knowing the port and the people of Saint John as I do, I know that the passengers will be well cared for :) and the Meet and Greet teams will be out in full force.

No word yet if any will come to be harboured because of the storm but if they do, we are here to help.

Not quite. I see the Pride is in Saint John today. Seranade of the Seas seems to be the odd ship out, in what I think is a cargo dock. I wonder if another 3rd ship will arrive tomorrow.

Roy

Not quite. I see the Pride is in Saint John today. Seranade of the Seas seems to be the odd ship out, in what I think is a cargo dock. I wonder if another 3rd ship will arrive tomorrow.

Roy

I confess, I am now at a loss trying to figure things out. Two announced now for tomorrow but my friend who is a tour guide says it's still 3. Port website can't keep up, I think ;)

And now with poor Cape Breton and Sydney flooded who knows what the ships will decide to do? Overnight in Halifax? Or move things up and come here?

A lot of itinerary changes happening in a big hurry. As long as people and ships are safe that's the main thing.

We'll do our best here to make sure everyone who comes is happy :)

I confess, I am now at a loss trying to figure things out. Two announced now for tomorrow but my friend who is a tour guide says it's still 3. Port website can't keep up, I think ;)

And now with poor Cape Breton and Sydney flooded who knows what the ships will decide to do? Overnight in Halifax? Or move things up and come here?

A lot of itinerary changes happening in a big hurry. As long as people and ships are safe that's the main thing.

We'll do our best here to make sure everyone who comes is happy :)

Flooding in Cape Breton? Ouch! It doesn't look though like that's hampering cruise ship operations. I see the Veendam on AIS just leaving Sydney and the Crystal Serenity headed there for tomorrow.

Still, lots of changes down here and lots of upset cruisers.

Roy

Flooding in Cape Breton? Ouch! It doesn't look though like that's hampering cruise ship operations. I see the Veendam on AIS just leaving Sydney and the Crystal Serenity headed there for tomorrow.

Still, lots of changes down here and lots of upset cruisers.

Roy

Amazing if they really went. Sydney is not in good shape and lacks a lot of electricity as we speak. It may have been too late for the ship too change itinerary? But Sydney is really suffering. I wouldn't be going there if I were the captain. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I hope you can open this link (Canadian). http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/power-outages-affecting-about-50-000-in-nova-scotia-1.3799440

We enjoyed visiting St. John a few years ago. It's a beautiful area, and we found the people to be friendly and inviting. Would love to return there sometime.

How nice of you to say :). Hope you return. You are welcome anytime :)

Edited by kazu