Theme nights

hamish123

On our recent cruise on Arcadia we were informed that "theme nights" were being phased out and only casual and black tie nights would be left.

Has anyone else heard of this, it seems a shame as 60s+70s / country ect, were good fun.

I think they have been virtually phased out already. As they don't tell passengers in advance, few seem to pack themed clothing because they are not sure they need it. Expect a 'fire sale' of tropical shirts etc to clear the stock.

There wasn't one on our 9 night Christmas cruise last year. There was supposed to be a 60s night, but it never materialised onboard. I took along a few things to make a token effort, but I needn't have bothered.

We're supposed to have some themes on this years 24 night Christmas and New Year cruise, so I'll see if they happen...

Edited by Goosebear Mum

They were certainly still in place on our Oceana cruise in May. We had black and white and tropical during the two weeks. According to the website on our next cruise we have a black and white night - it's only a 10 night cruise. So we'll see if it happens.

HI, Suzanne.

We didn't finish our "triple" cruise until the end of Feb, so unless we jumped ship we couldn't help, sorry.

One of the entertainment staff said there had been a meeting at carnival house, where it was decided to phase out all theme nights, leaving only formal and casual.

You may not have noticed but several other duties have been taken over by the "headliners" namely the choir and line dancing.

Were all off on another triple b2b, in a few weeks time, be lovely to meet up with the old crowd again.

In September on our Ventura med cruise, we had a tropical night and 60's night. The tropical night was well observed, in terms of attire. But the singing group apart, the entertainment laid on was poor. No Caribbean barbecue. They put that on an hour before we docked in Gibraltar.

As for the 60/70 night, I didn't see anyone dressed up. But who's going to buy stuff just for that? A Caribbean shirt is a cheap purchase.

Now if they could just phase out the formal nights, and leave smart casual, I'd be a happy man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In September on our Ventura med cruise, we had a tropical night and 60's night. The tropical night was well observed, in terms of attire. But the singing group apart, the entertainment laid on was poor. No Caribbean barbecue. They put that on an hour before we docked in Gibraltar.

As for the 60/70 night, I didn't see anyone dressed up. But who's going to buy stuff just for that? A Caribbean shirt is a cheap purchase.

Now if they could just phase out the formal nights, and leave smart casual, I'd be a happy man.

Interesting - we did Ventura in September around the Bay of Biscay (possibly the cruise after yours?) - 2 formal nights but no mention of theme nights.

BTW - another vote for smart casual to replace formal:D.

I hope they don't get rid of tropical night. I love seeing how many bad shirts there are out there. Plus I am hoping to purchase a new colourful dress for tropical nights in the future..best not mention they might be phasing them out..or I will not be allowed to purchase said dress....I would be able to wear it elsewhere though...its not that bad.

I cant see Pando ditching formal, until all the people who want it to stay have died off. Maybe some ships that draw a lot of younger cruisers might go that way at some time in the far future.

I hope they don't get rid of tropical night. I love seeing how many bad shirts there are out there. Plus I am hoping to purchase a new colourful dress for tropical nights in the future..best not mention they might be phasing them out..or I will not be allowed to purchase said dress....I would be able to wear it elsewhere though...its not that bad.

I cant see Pando ditching formal, until all the people who want it to stay have died off. Maybe some ships that draw a lot of younger cruisers might go that way at some time in the far future.

On our September med cruise, the MDR was very quiet on formal nights and walking around the ship, many had chosen not to dress up. I've never seen it so quiet.

The problem is, there's nothing special about a formal night any longer. There isn't much difference in the food (sometimes, you have a Marco Pierre White menu on) or the service. Then you have to sit in your formal clothes for the rest of the night, if you want access to certain bars.

As younger people and families start to cruise, and P&O are clearly targeting them, they won't want to buy formal gear or wear it to dinner.

I hate to say this, but if you're waiting for people who like formal nights to die out you'll be waiting a long time. My husband and I love formal nights and we're only 48, so sorry, but a long time before we die off!

If P&O stop doing formal nights we shall never travel on them again - end of story.

There are masses of cruise lines that do not have any formal nights, both 3 'star' and 6 'star', and everything in between - so if people don't like dressing up they have plenty to choose from!

I hate to say this, but if you're waiting for people who like formal nights to die out you'll be waiting a long time. My husband and I love formal nights and we're only 48, so sorry, but a long time before we die off!

If P&O stop doing formal nights we shall never travel on them again - end of story.

There are masses of cruise lines that do not have any formal nights, both 3 'star' and 6 'star', and everything in between - so if people don't like dressing up they have plenty to choose from!

Market forces will drive this. P&O care little for what individual passengers want. They prove that every day. But if the MDRs continue to be quiet, they will review the formal policy. Market forces......nothing else.

But I'll counter your argument with the fact that if you love the formal nights, Cunard look set to continue with those, no matter what. [emoji57]

I go on holiday to completely relax. Not to get trussed-up like a turkey getting ready for Christmas. And to eat the same food I eat everyday. I do dress up, because I have to, but I'd rather not. The ship was very warm on this cruise....it was thirty nine degrees in Valencia....and it was uncomfortable and no fun at all.

We're in our late 40s/early 50s and love dressing up. It's the opportunity we don't get often now. Maybe it was reflective of being on (our first cruise) at Christmas last year on Aurora, but everyone got dressed up for formal nights (and to a certain extent on other nights too) the MDR was always full or almost full with few spare seats.

P&O may make one livelier Med ship more casual, to appeal to the younger families and couples on port intensive Med cruises... but I can't see them getting rid of formal on all ships for a very long time...

I hope we do get a tropical night on this year's Christmas /New Year cruise, as I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone wears. I missed not having a theme night last Christmas.

I chose P&O because of the mix of casual/Formal. And that it sails from the UK in Winter...

The cruise booklet for our forthcoming Madeira and Canaries cruise at the end of this month says that apart from the formal and casual nights, we will have 3 themed nights. 1 Black and White, 1 Tropical, and 1 60's and 70's. Bring it on.

Brian

Edited by dorsetlad

How about a compromise? On formal nights the dress code only applies to the main dining rooms and the epicurean restaurant. Whoever heard of wearing formal wear for a curry, Chinese, tapas (small plates) and the American diner;)

How about a compromise? On formal nights the dress code only applies to the main dining rooms and the epicurean restaurant. Whoever heard of wearing formal wear for a curry, Chinese, tapas (small plates) and the American diner;)

I didn't think the formalwear applied for the buffet at the moment.. does it?

I think formal wear is only reason the MDR and a couple of bars and t the moment.

Not everywhere on the ship.

I think the likes of Britannia and the new ship may do away with formal after a while, but feel there are still enough of us around who do like dressing up, for it to remain for quite a while.

I am always when people equate formal with uncomfortable.

All of my dresses are purchased with comfort in mind. OH has a couple of things that keep him comfy as well.

Haven't had a cruise yet where the casual dressers outnumbered the formal dressers.

Also I have seen quite a few times formally attired families where even the children are dressed up.

My understanding is that Tropical and 60/70's theme nights are not formal nights. In this respect formal nights and theme nights are not always occurring on the same nights. Black and White theme is always on a formal night. Whether P&O phase out theme nights is a different issue to phasing out Black Tie evenings.

Dress codes; in the wider sense, not just on P&O or cruising are designed to try and restrict participation to a type of person considered desirable to the organisation running a venue or club. Many night clubs insist on certain standards of dress, no trainers, jeans or denims etc. In the city centre my thinking is that if your clientele is dressed in expensive designer wear they are less likely to get involved in a fracas where their clothes get ripped. Similarly I believe it is perceived that you can attract a better type of person or to put it another way keep the riff raff out.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

My understanding is that Tropical and 60/70's theme nights are not formal nights. In this respect formal nights and theme nights are not always occurring on the same nights. Black and White theme is always on a formal night. Whether P&O phase out theme nights is a different issue to phasing out Black Tie evenings.

Dress codes; in the wider sense, not just on P&O or cruising are designed to try and restrict participation to a type of person considered desirable to the organisation running a venue or club. Many night clubs insist on certain standards of dress, no trainers, jeans or denims etc. In the city centre my thinking is that if your clientele is dressed in expensive designer wear they are less likely to get involved in a fracas where their clothes get ripped. Similarly I believe it is perceived that you can attract a better type of person or to put it another way keep the riff raff out.

Regards John

Well there is always that I guess. Mind you my posh dresses very rarely hit high figures cost wise. One I really liked was 3 figures, but that's the only one. plus it goes in the washing machine.

Reading back my previous but one post I think spellchecker on my nexus went mad..should have checked it.

Formal wear required mdr and a couple of bars.

I am always surprised when people equate formal with uncomfortable

Is what I meant to say.

I also cannot understand why people book with Pando ,then say I don't like dressing up.

It is known it is a line with a dress code, same as Cunard. So if you do not wish to dress up, or see other people dressed up, why book with them. Or want them to change their code to suit YOU.

Formal is only uncomfortable when it's warm in the dining room. Perhaps not for ladies, who can wear off-the-shoulder dresses. We book with P&O because of the whole package, but that doesn't mean I have to like the formal nights.

Don't think that they are promoted properly.

1, Should be more widely advertised - before departure.

2. Menu in MDR should reflect the theme.

3. Entertainment should reflect the theme, more than it does at present.

$. Should be specific to the area in which you are cruising, so no tropical night on a Greek cruise but bouzouki music and Greek food.

Then it would be worth joining in.