Is NCL enforcing no water or soda carry on?

WWLL

From NCL's website:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#can-i-bring-water-or-soda-board

Effective for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula; and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard that is subject to screening and a corkage fee (for guests 21 years of age or older). Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call.

This revised policy brings the company in line with other best practice travel security protocols and reduces the need for individual time consuming screening and package inspection of large volumes of beverages

sent using Forums mobile app

Can I bring empty water bottles and/or covered cups? I drink a lot of water and would be fine with just refilling the ship's water as it is fine with me; I'd just buy water, but the prices are ridiculous.

Yes. We bought britta filtering ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm 10 days off the Star and I carried a bottle of water or Coke back on board with me at every port with no hassles. In my back pocket. But I'm a rebel and I like sticking it to the man.:eek:

Taking a case might be something of a problem.

Why ?? What did Cruise Critic Do??.

What CC did was have some members posting work around run around end runs on ways to circumvent the beverage and liquor rules.

A small percentage spoiled it but not to the degree that other non-CC folks did like the party animals on the 3 day cruises.

Thus NCL has put a stop to this.

Now when boarding the ship(s) the beverage rules are strictly enforced with no ifs ands or butts.

YES you can take EMPTY bottles onboard and refill with water available at the buffet.

Liquor is confiscated and returned at the voyages end - exception wine has a corkage fee and may be brought aboard after paying the fee.

Various packages are available to purchase beverages and liquor.

Time will tell if these packages and Promos are successful

While these are often overly expensive NCL has a captive cruise audience with no other options except for drinking off ship in ports.

Is it being monitored as strictly in Europe, e.g The security at Barcelona is run by the port authority (who don't care whether you take liquids onboard in hand luggage) and there is no NCL scanning before you get on the ship. We've done a few sailings from Spain this year on different lines and nobody has enforced their rules around alcohol etc, so I wondered if it might be the same with water.

Is it being monitored as strictly in Europe, e.g The security at Barcelona is run by the port authority (who don't care whether you take liquids onboard in hand luggage) and there is no NCL scanning before you get on the ship. We've done a few sailings from Spain this year on different lines and nobody has enforced their rules around alcohol etc, so I wondered if it might be the same with water.

Yes, they now have an extra scan in Barcelona on the promenade deck of the Epic.

It's also active in ports, so it's two scans in any port not using the ship as the primary scan.

At least with Ryanair they don't check you again boarding the plane. :mad:

Yes, they now have an extra scan in Barcelona on the promenade deck of the Epic.

It's also active in ports, so it's two scans in any port not using the ship as the primary scan.

So the policy designed to reduce the amount of time security takes to screen passengers is resulting in increased time for security to screen passengers? That's funny.

So the policy designed to reduce the amount of time security takes to screen passengers is resulting in increased time for security to screen passengers? That's funny.

I never thought of that but you are so right ...that is funny.

Rochelle

Sounds like things have changed since April - what a long winded process to do it twice. Carnival and Celebrity were still just using port authority security in July/August at Barca.

Sounds like things have changed since April - what a long winded process to do it twice. Carnival and Celebrity were still just using port authority security in July/August at Barca.
The problem is that the cruise lines can't ask port security to enforce their additional rules about beverages. That's not their job. Their job is to look for

weapons and other illegal/dangerous items.

Even before the current policy, there was occasionally a second checkpoint to board the ship. But certain ports like Barcelona became known as easy ports to embark with carry-on alcohol. It sounds like they are now cracking down on that. The new policy is stricter, of course, but they should have been doing the second scan under old policy, too.

Never really understand that logic either.

Has Mr Del Rio not used an airport since 2005 ?

Edited by JohnIreland