Does Oasis seem dated?

Good sleuthing! Indecisive is right. It's tough to find a good mix between fun, luxury and value so I branched out beyond my two original thoughts.

Not sure what you were trying to get at by pointing out another thread of mine, but your post reeks of passive aggression. Apologies if you didn't intend for it to come off that way but I don't see your point.

Can you expand on what you meant by a 'modern ship'

I think that may have been the source of the raw nerve reactions you think you received.

She really does sparkle and impress and you will find surprises around every corner. Look for the periscopes on each floor ( I think that is what you would call them) we had fun trying to find all of them they have different pictures in them. The aqua show is fabulous. You can get breakfast at Johnny Rockets in the morning at no charge and don't miss the roast beef sandwich at Park Cafe. I remember the first time we walked into Central Park and heard crickets and frogs and saw the winding walkways surrounded by flowers and trees...amazing! We also really enjoyed the solarium cafe for a healthier alternative food spot. Fresh, clean food available right inside the solarium. I hope you love Royal as much as we do.

Good sleuthing! Indecisive is right. It's tough to find a good mix between fun, luxury and value so I branched out beyond my two original thoughts.

Not sure what you were trying to get at by pointing out another thread of mine, but your post reeks of passive aggression. Apologies if you didn't intend for it to come off that way but I don't see your point.

If you're wondering why your posts and thread have been met with some of the negative responses from others (including some of the most seasoned, knowledgeable, and helpful people anyplace on the internet)...you may want to read your own highlighted sentence above.

As someone who also made 2 attempts to provide you with legitimate information towards your original post/questions...good luck trying to find anyone else willing to help you with your "dilemma". :rolleyes:

If you're wondering why your posts and thread have been met with some of the negative responses from others (including some of the most seasoned, knowledgeable, and helpful people anyplace on the internet)...you may want to read your own highlighted sentence above.

As someone who also made 2 attempts to provide you with legitimate information towards your original post/questions...good luck trying to find anyone else willing to help you with your "dilemma". :rolleyes:

1384ce16869aa79375f61fb56e9179b5.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

When I read some of the posts, I can not help but think of Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory).... "is this sarcasm".

Anyway, we were on Oasis last October and on Allure a few weeks ago. Honestly I saw very little difference in the appearance of the two ships... both seem contemporary and in good shape. I suspect cabin condition depends upon the passengers that have occupied them over the years. Some people are harder on cabins than others.

I did not really study the staff, but I will say that the cabin attendant we had on Allure was probably the best one we have ever had. She anticipated our needs in a way that most have not. EG she noticed that we had brought wine on board, and made sure we had glasses and an opener... later she noticed the number on our tags was for a late departure and asked if we would like an earlier departure tag. There wasn't a time I went to the cabin that she was not nearby. I have been on cruises where we almost never saw the attendant.... or at least rarely saw them.

We were on the Oasis sailing where a passenger smashed up the cabin and later jumped. So I suspect that cabin looked a bit rough. The only issue I noted in our cabin were small holes in the curtains that allowed light in the room. No biggy but I did notice this.

Now we are not picky people having sailed on the US Constitution and Norway (formerly the France). Ships that a few years later were hauled away for scrap. But despite their lack of modern features were truly elegant ships and you knew you were at sea... sometimes more than you might like.... when in rough seas.

I would not worry about the ship, it is just a fabulous experience. Have fun

The sentence that you highlighted was in reference to you digging up another thread of mine. What was the purpose of that and what point were you trying to make by doing so? Are posters prohibited from starting more than one thread?

I realize my "dilemma" is hardly that in the grand scheme of things. We're all fortunate to be bickering about vacations. I didn't intend to make it something that it's not. Still, as consumers we have choices. Just trying to make an educated one.

Can you expand on what you meant by a 'modern ship'

I think that may have been the source of the raw nerve reactions you think you received.

LOL, didn't you leave the conversation three or four different times now? Maybe one more irrelevant dog pic, for old time's sake. :D

I have all the information I need. Thanks to everyone who responded with an on-topic response; it's been helpful! And those that didn't, thanks for the entertainment!

I guess my "sarcastic" question to all those of you who found it so hard to answer a simple question is...why did you even take the time? You could have skipped it altogether and let someone else answer. The search function doesn't always get you to the specific information you are seeking. I don't see the need to try to make someone feel stupid for asking a question! We all started somewhere in our quest for knowledge on Cruise Critic and I know after all these years it is still my go to for cruise information which is usually given politely. It may seem like a trivial question to you but to this poster, it was just a way to find out about a ship he has never sailed.

I really can't answer your question. I have never been on it. I hope to one day. But I have been on other ships and sailed on one where people had a lot of complaints of things being out dated and what not. Even after hearing things I still do not really notice to many things what people were talking about. The way I see things is to keep an open mind and see for yourself. I guess I am happy to sail when I can. But I haven't been able to sail since 2012. I hope you enjoy the ship and maybe come back with an update if you sail.

The sentence that you highlighted was in reference to you digging up another thread of mine. What was the purpose of that and what point were you trying to make by doing so? Are posters prohibited from starting more than one thread?

I realize my "dilemma" is hardly that in the grand scheme of things. We're all fortunate to be bickering about vacations. I didn't intend to make it something that it's not. Still, as consumers we have choices. Just trying to make an educated one.

Your questions:

1) What was the purpose of that and what point were you trying to make by doing so?

Answer: Asking the same question twice in one question gets bonus points - the point was that someone else posted about you having made similar requests in other threads...and some deep digging (about 10 seconds worth required) illustrated they were correct. The point was to substantiate the other poster's comment - easy mission accomplished.

2) I didn't intend to make it something that it's not. Still, as consumers we have choices. Just trying to make an educated one.

Answer: It's fair to assume that no one holds a monopoly on seeking information nor making choices. Success is based on the level of effort made, the attitude in requesting help, and the demeanor in communicating.

I'm sure I can speak on behalf of everyone who has posted in this thread (no way of course)...happy sailing. Really.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

I guess my "sarcastic" question to all those of you who found it so hard to answer a simple question is...why did you even take the time? You could have skipped it altogether and let someone else answer. The search function doesn't always get you to the specific information you are seeking. I don't see the need to try to make someone feel stupid for asking a question! We all started somewhere in our quest for knowledge on Cruise Critic and I know after all these years it is still my go to for cruise information which is usually given politely. It may seem like a trivial question to you but to this poster, it was just a way to find out about a ship he has never sailed.

But to ask if the original version of a ship that is currently in production is still modern? He would have been better to ask is she worn out. Big difference.

Plus I politely asked if he could clarify what he means by modern, and he can't. Glad to see he is going to Epic. That's a but ugly ship according to many around here.

Your questions:

1) What was the purpose of that and what point were you trying to make by doing so?

Answer: Asking the same question twice in one question gets bonus points - the point was that someone else posted about you having made similar requests in other threads...and some deep digging (about 10 seconds worth required) illustrated they were correct. The point was to substantiate the other poster's comment - easy mission accomplished.

Haha, you got me there! My questions were repetitive. I'm still not sure what relevance it had that I posted another question on a different board. That thread wasn't similar at all. I was asking for insight comparing two particular sailings on different lines. Here, I was seeking information on a particular ship. I don't believe that is against the rules, so I still don't see what you tried to prove by highlighting it, other than adding to the snark.

2) I didn't intend to make it something that it's not. Still, as consumers we have choices. Just trying to make an educated one.

Answer: It's fair to assume that no one holds a monopoly on seeking information nor making choices. Success is based on the level of effort made, the attitude in requesting help, and the demeanor in communicating.

I have the information I need so I guess this was a success. My demeanor was respectful from the get-go, but I won't respond to rudeness (calling my question absurd, tired jokes that add no value, a failed attempt to show that I posted duplicate threads) with pleasantries. I suppose I shouldn't have stooped to that level.

See above.

But to ask if the original version of a ship that is currently in production is still modern? He would have been better to ask is she worn out. Big difference.

Plus I politely asked if he could clarify what he means by modern, and he can't. Glad to see he is going to Epic. That's a but ugly ship according to many around here.

Yay, you're still here! I think you're being a bit too sensitive if you're justifying rudeness based on my initial question as to whether or not the ship still (after 8 years and millions of people, mind you) feels modern. I stand by that as being a valid inquiry. Furthermore, I have no need to further elaborate for you. Just because I won't indulge you, doesn't mean I am unable to. I know exactly what I was asking and so did those that responded with something of substance.

I sailed Epic previously and while I agree that the exterior of the ship is unattractive, it was a nice ship and we had a great cruise. It's looking like Oasis or Reflection this time around. Perhaps, I'll see you soon! :D

Edited by Scott2.0

John&lala, my point was it is semantics. Maybe he used the wrong phrasing. He really only wanted to know about a new to him ship. I know I don't always choose the right words in a text either and then I go back and read it and say "what the heck did I mean by that"! But, I am old so I forgive myself and move on. I am not arguing with anyone, just trying to help out a new to Royal cruiser because we love to cruise so much and I hope everyone else will enjoy it too. It is hard to set a tone in a text message but I am really easy going and enjoy everyone. Maybe we will sail together some day.

John&lala, my point was it is semantics. Maybe he used the wrong phrasing. He really only wanted to know about a new to him ship. I know I don't always choose the right words in a text either and then I go back and read it and say "what the heck did I mean by that"! But, I am old so I forgive myself and move on. I am not arguing with anyone, just trying to help out a new to Royal cruiser because we love to cruise so much and I hope everyone else will enjoy it too. It is hard to set a tone in a text message but I am really easy going and enjoy everyone. Maybe we will sail together some day.

Thank you! I'll never understand why some people get so bent out of shape over a well-intentioned question. Oh well, cheers!

Snarky comments happen from time for whatever reasons. We all do it at times. Maybe someone is having a bad day. Maybe someone else's comment or question just hits us the wrong way. Maybe it is just a misiterpretation. I don't think it is a huge deal. Sometimes it is a bit funny.

There is, however, a huge difference between snarky and sniping. And the sniping that has appeared between posters on this thread is neither fun nor entertaining. But since I have never been an advocate of any of us acting like wannabe moderators, including myself, if you all want to keep going at it with each other have a blast.:rolleyes:

Edited by Ocean Boy