Does Oasis seem dated?

I'm really excited about a possible first RCCL sailing. I'm wondering if the decor and/or condition of Oasis is starting to show her age? I realize she's not an old ship by any means but I can't find much info on her dry-dock improvements so I'm under the impression that she's mostly original. Am I wrong? Does she still seem like a modern ship?

Thanks!

She looks wonderful.

Scott, we sailed on the Silhouette for her maiden Caribbean voyage when she was new in 2011. How did she look in 2015?

Modern and immaculate. A bit subdued in terms of nightlife and entertainment, but the ship itself was stunning.

I have been on Allure and Oasis several times each and love them both. Just wondering, as a potential maintenance and/or service level issue, do any of you very frequent cruisers know how many cabins/how much capacity were/was added to Oasis and Allure in drydock? Curious. Thx.

Most of my travel is done via airplanes. The age of the ship doesn't matter at all.

And when you fly on that 737, can you tell its age and do you care if it's 3 years old or 8 years old? Does it matter if you still see remnants of Continental decor on that United flight (or USAir on American)? If so, switch to Harmony.

I have been on Allure and Oasis several times each and love them both. Just wondering, as a potential maintenance and/or service level issue, do any of you very frequent cruisers know how many cabins/how much capacity were/was added to Oasis and Allure in drydock? Curious. Thx.

Just over 40 cabins added in total

I will give you my opinion with no snide remarks.

We just got off the Oasis yesterday, and enjoyed our time very much. This was our 16th cruise and the biggest ship we have sailed yet!

Overall I didn't think it was in bad shape at all and we were impressed! Hubby thoight Central Park was cool. If I wanted to nit pick I could say our couch looked a little worn, and the tile floor in the shower had a bubble in it, but all minor cosmetic things which should be expected considering it has up to 7,000 people on it every week not counting crew.

A couple of things I personally didn't like was having to book the shows ahead of time, since we were waiting on the arrival of our first grandbaby we didnt schedule our trip till the end of August. We couldn't book the comedy shows as the were full. We even followed the advice i got on here about trying to book as soon as we got on the ship and even though we were on by 11:30 no luck and no comedy shows! :(

I also miss the open air feel on the upper decks no walking track, or places to eat meals outside.

We would love to take our young adult kids on the ship, but for now the Caribbean is out for a couple of them due to the Zika virus. Maybe someday....

And when you fly on that 737, can you tell its age and do you care if it's 3 years old or 8 years old? Does it matter if you still see remnants of Continental decor on that United flight (or USAir on American)? If so, switch to Harmony.

Did you realize that the 737 entered into service in 1968. 😱

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I've never been on Oasis, but I've been on ships much older and did not find them to feel outdated. Maybe the color scheme or the patterns on the curtains or carpets etc might be "outdated," but given that color schemes and styles change over so quickly, it would be really hard for any ship or hotel or large venue to remain "current" unless it was literally brand new to 2 or 3 years old. Anything after that is going to be "outdated." Even new ships are gaudy in the same sense that Las Vegas hotels are gaudy. But that isn't a bad thing and doesn't at all detract from the enjoyment of the cruise. It doesn't make you feel like you're on an old or outdated ship by any means. But some people are really affected by what their surroundings look like, and if you are one of those people who won't like a vacation unless you're in the latest, greatest, new car smell place, you probably won't like any ship that was released more than 2 or 3 years ago because it probably will seem older and used, there's probably some stains here or there because thousands and thousands of people use it every day, and they can't go around ripping up carpets every week. Oasis isn't a new ship, but she is by no means old.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

We will probably be in the minority, but we did not have the greatest fun on the Oasis compared to the Allure.

Now yea it was starting to show its age and we sailed after the dry dock.

But, the crew -----well, they do not compare to the friendliness as those that work on the Allure.

It is what we observed, but hope others had better experiences.

Just saying.

Safe travels.

I actually would agree with that if I were going by only our first cruise on Oasis. I thought the ship had some issues that we didn't find on Allure. But with subsequent sailing on Oasis I found the issues where gone.

We were just on the 9/10 sailing of Oasis and had a wonderful cruise. Sure there were little things that didn't go perfect, but nothing to ruin my cruise. If I get handed lemons, I make lemonade. We have been on new ships, old ships, small ships and large ships. They have ALL been good cruises, some just better than others.

We were on Oasis 5 years ago and I don't think the ship showed alot of wear and tear since then. Maybe I wasn't noticing those things though, as I was enjoying my cruise.

Edited by debshomespun

In response to the original question... In my mind, Oasis and Allure are still like 3 years old. They are not dated. Matter of fact, I would gladly pick up and go on a Vision Class ship, which new all about 20 years old. Royal keeps their ships in great shape.

I actually would agree with that if I were going by only our first cruise on Oasis. I thought the ship had some issues that we didn't find on Allure. But with subsequent sailing on Oasis I found the issues where gone.

I actually found the opposite...

My Oasis sailing was pretty much perfect. Allure had some service issues. (Based on cruises within the last year and a half)

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

We've been on Oasis 3 times and Yes, this last time just a few weeks ago, i did notice that she is seeing some wear and tear. The shower in our cabin backed up about 3 inches after every shower. The beds are definitely less comfortable than the 1st and 2nd time we were on her.

Aside from that, the crew works tirelessly to keep up with painting and cleaning, etc.

We are looking forward to sailing on Allure next year as we always have a great cruise no matter what ship we sail on.