Interior Cabin Question - Westerdam

jbobst

We booked a guarantee interior cabin for a upcoming Westerdam cruise. We really don't care where they put us or what we end up with, but when I look at the HAL webpage, the pictures of their interior cabins show this unique looking inside stateroom with what looks to be a sectional type of sofa. The room looks more square than it does rectangular. And, it looks like a good size room! Yet, when I go to youtube and search for interior cabin videos on the Westerdam/Oosterdam class ships, the few videos that come up all look like standard inside cabins that other cruise lines have...and the cabins looks really small, with barely enough room for a little table and chair, let alone a small sectional like it shows on the HAL website. Are those larger square insides cabins they picture on the website few and far between? Like most companies, they probably tend to show their best options on advertisements, when in reality the actual room is probably the tiny standard type of cabin, right?

You will find these cabins on Main Deck on Westerdam. They are the J and K category. I think there might also be some 'I' cabins on deck 8 that are also big.

We like these insides better than oceanview cabins. Only worth upgrading to a veranda from these.

Yes, those "J" cabins are wonderful! We've been in them twice and have enjoyed the open space area. We like them for AK so we can sleep in the dark. Nice room arrangement...you can actually see into the closets, unlike the narrow hallway rooms. I'd jump on one, they won't be available as guarantees since folks in the know book them way in advance.

As posted, those are the inside cabins on Main Deck, and are choice pickin's. They are my favorite cabins on the Vista & Signature class ships---so much larger than the outside cabins!

With the exception of some I-cabins on a higher deck, those are the largest insides. The other insides can more be compared to walk-in closets. :eek:

But don't get your heart set on being assigned one of these when you book a guarantee. As janmcn said, those get booked in advance.

This is good info. When we got switched from Amsterdam to Oosterdam HAL moved us from our accessible inside to a J accessible. On the deck plan it looks the same size as all the other J Large insides so they all must be pretty decent sized. But more important for us is the roll in shower and shower bench and probably wider hallway door. I do have to chuckle at the 360° pictures and how they distort the size of things. I think that sectional sofa is considerably smaller than it appears.

Is the "I" interior stateroom on the "R Class" ship also one of the largest interiors. ? We are booked in one on the Rotterdam, deck 6. Anyone with experience with these particular cabins, I would appreciate information.

Thank you.

This is good info. When we got switched from Amsterdam to Oosterdam HAL moved us from our accessible inside to a J accessible. On the deck plan it looks the same size as all the other J Large insides so they all must be pretty decent sized.

The accessible J-cabin on Main Deck on the Vista & Signature ships is larger than the other J & K-category cabins.

I made a long stop at one on my last cruise, when the door was open and the steward was in there, to take a good look, in anticipation of the day when the step up into the bathroom becomes impossible. There was lots and lots room, quite a bit more than the other large insides on that deck.

I don't recall if I saw a couch, if there wasn't one, or if it was just blocked by the door. I never went inside, of course.

I did notice that the door was much wider than the other cabins.

Is the "I" interior stateroom on the "R Class" ship also one of the largest interiors. ?

The S- & R-class ships are different from the Vista & Signature classes.

On the R-ships there are "standard" and "large" insides; most of the large insides are quite generous. The I-cabins are "large", and the ones on Lower Promenade (deck 3 on R-class, and deck 6 on S-class) are in an excellent location.

There are also a couple (maybe one?) "large" inside that is a different configuration, and feels quite a bit roomier than the other large insides. It is a J-category cabin.

Don't want to rain on your parade, but after a bad experience on the Noordam, I will no longer book an inside guarantee on any of the Vista class ships. I ended up with a cabin that was 125 sq. ft., and I would have been more comfortable in a tuna fish can. On top of being tiny, it was poorly arranged. It was the only time I got claustrophobic in an inside cabin. And wouldn't you know, it was a 10-day cruise.

I wish you the best.

Roz