Luggage Size

Cruisin' Again 86

The big issue, these days, is weight. Given that the airlines generally restrict luggage weight to 50 pounds (70 if you fly Business/First Class) we opt for the lightest luggage. A large bag can weigh anywhere from about 6 pounds to over 12 pounds....and that difference is quite a lot when you are trying to pack. Our favorite bags are made by Travelpro.....because we have found that even their lightweight lines hold up better then most. There are quite a few online luggage discounters that handle their line. Consider that you can get a pretty large 25 inch piece (with wheels) that only weigh 8 pounds. Their luggage is not cheap (usually around $100 when bought from a discounter) but is a great value because their products are well made. The real cheap stuff we have tried usually does not last more then a few trips. And really expensive luggage is against our religion....and also increases the odds that your luggage will get special attention from thieves.

Hank

I'm a non-wheel or 2-wheel soft sider... I work with luggage a lot at the hotels I've worked at - the 4 wheels are just a major PIA when trying to move them on the carpeting and I can't move as fast when them as I can with a 2-wheeler. Plus, keeping my arm in that bent position you have to do with a 4-wheeler is just uncomfortable for me.

My current biggest bag is 25x14x14 in - an Osprey Sojourn. A convertible 2-wheeler - I can roll or put it on my back. I'll use it if I feel like splurging on what I pack or if I know I'm going to be buying something big on a trip. And I can still handle it myself when I travel by train (it fits in the overhead) and have to walk a ways to my hotel. It has compression straps on the outside so I can make it smaller when I don't need the space. It's one of my 4 Osprey bags - the rest are smaller an non-rollers. But, I love Osprey because they have a lifetime guarantee. If you are looking for a good 2-wheeler, I highly recommend Osprey - they have several models in various sizes.

I have my 22x14x9 eBags Motherlode carryon and it's little 19.5x14x9 Jr. Both are non-wheelie, but I can carry or put on my back. My 2 current favorites. eBags also has an lifetime guarantee.

I have 2 Eagle Creek 22" 2-wheelers. My Tarmac 22" is about 10 years old and I am just retiring it. I'll probably donate it to my local women's shelter so someone can put it to good use. I picked up a 22" Load Warrior on sale at Sierra Trading Post the other month. If I have the need for some wheels, I'll use it. Eagle Creek also has a good warrantee.

My airline cabin bag will be one of may daypacks that I have. I have never had an issue with any of them as my "personal item." I've got one from Kipling, one Mountain Hardware (my biggest), a couple from Burton and Dakine, 2 Osprey.

There was a huge carry-on crackdown situation a few years back by airlines....

[YOUTUBE]v86rBUd289w[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]L5vDb0WyIPk[/YOUTUBE]

Luggage gets a lot of abuse....

[YOUTUBE]9MZqiE3yGlQ[/YOUTUBE]

planes keep adding seats, but overhead storage is about the same... if you are the last to board... you may be asked to checked your carry-ons and valuables via air mail. Underseat avoids this mess.

[YOUTUBE]PgDizh4DMno[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

I just got this today...

There are now a TripAdvisor luggage collection on eBags. There is a 21" and 25" rolling duffel (2 wheels) that are really the Motherlode bags branded with a TA logo instead of eBags. They are the same price regardless of "brand". There are also two hard-sided spinners - a 25" and a 30". BUT with the TA brand, you get 2 hard luggage tags with the TA "owl" on them:D

I have no idea who the spinners are actually from...

I like Samsonite's spinner luggage where the handle is built in to the material. We had a handle to break on other luggage at the port in Miami when handing it off to be checked in.

Here is an example- https://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Luggage-Spinner-Suitcases-Blue/dp/B00GZP4N4I/ref=sr_1_25?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1477408656&sr=1-25&nodeID=15743251&keywords=Samsonite&refinements=p_n_size_browse-vebin%3A2343350011

When my travel is by cruise ship, I generally use a 26" suitcase. If it's land travel (especially when I will be utilizing trains in Europe) I have a narrow 24" bag I really like. (It's sort of like a duffle but with more structure.) Both of these bags have two sturdy wheels and both are Eagle Creek. In addition, I bring a small carry on of the type that could fit under the seat in front of me if absolutely necessary.

I pack very compactly. If I tried to take any bag larger than 26" I would definitely be over the airline weight limit of 50 lbs, even with a light suitcase. :eek:

Suitcases with four roller-wheels are okay for smooth flat surfaces (like airports) but don't work well over rougher terrain such as city sidewalks/curbs or cobblestoned streets, in my experience. I much prefer the rugged wheels on my EC bags.

I actually prefer luggage without spinners. The reasons are:

1. The spinner wheels add about 2-3 inches to the length of the case without adding additional storage space.

2. The spinner suitcases are less stable. I prefer to tip the case on the two wheels when I want to move. The spinner cases never seem to travel as smoothly.

3. The spinner wheels are more likely to break compared to two wheels that are mounted on a single axis.

It is difficult to find non spinner suitcases..

I agree entirely! We travel a lot & bring carry-on only. Spinner wheels ARE counted in the size by the airlines (tho NOT by the manufacturers!). A spinner suitcase described by the manufacturer as 22" will actually measure 25" by the airlines -- and you will NOT be allowed to carry it on!

Edited by frangran

The big issue, these days, is weight. Given that the airlines generally restrict luggage weight to 50 pounds (70 if you fly Business/First Class) we opt for the lightest luggage. A large bag can weigh anywhere from about 6 pounds to over 12 pounds....and that difference is quite a lot when you are trying to pack. Our favorite bags are made by Travelpro.....because we have found that even their lightweight lines hold up better then most. There are quite a few online luggage discounters that handle their line. Consider that you can get a pretty large 25 inch piece (with wheels) that only weigh 8 pounds. Their luggage is not cheap (usually around $100 when bought from a discounter) but is a great value because their products are well made. The real cheap stuff we have tried usually does not last more then a few trips. And really expensive luggage is against our religion....and also increases the odds that your luggage will get special attention from thieves.

Hank

Agreed: Travelpro.

The top end items (currently Platinum #?) are guaranteed forever and repair facilities are conveniently located in major cities across the US. I've still got a couple of Travelpro rollaboards (the same ones you see most airline crews dragging behind them) that are twenty-plus years old and still functional. As mentioned above, some research will find discounted prices (though the best prices require airline employee discount code).

BTW, look carefully at the small print on cheap luggage spinner wheels. It says "please break me off." :-)

Rolling duffles. They hold a lot and they squish down well for sliding them under the beds on cruises or elsewhere. Plus, they don't take as much storage space when they're loafing around at home.
I agree rolling duffles hold more.... but if you plan to come back with fragile things....

• a hard sided suitcase provides better crush protection.
  • I switched from a rolling duffle to encourage me to pack less
  • suitcases also stack better with small cabs