Luggage Size

Cruisin' Again 86

We like hardsided spinners with clamps not zippers, if a zipper fails you are SOL

We use these http://www.safesuitcases.com/Delsey-Helium-Colours.asp

I picked up 2 26" ones from amazon warehouse for a good price of 51 bucks each.

We don't take a large suitcase as we have found that taking your luggage off yourself is so much easier we don't plan to do it any other way in the future.

Everyone has their own favorites of course but traveling light makes you think a little more and we still come home with some stuff never worn.

We have a variety of sizes, cloth with zippers and have never had a zipper fail. I do use locks to keep the zippers from being pulled open accidentally. We take 28 and 30 inch when driving to a cruise. When we take Amtrak, we take our 28 inch and smaller.

We have bought them at department stores and have seen many choices at everything from Target to TJ Maxx. The one thing we do buy is spinners. Makes it so much easier to maneuver and we don't have to pull them. We can push them on all four wheels.

I actually prefer luggage without spinners. The reasons are:

1. The spinner wheels add about 2-3 inches to the length of the case without adding additional storage space.

2. The spinner suitcases are less stable. I prefer to tip the case on the two wheels when I want to move. The spinner cases never seem to travel as smoothly.

3. The spinner wheels are more likely to break compared to two wheels that are mounted on a single axis.

It is difficult to find non spinner suitcases..

One carry on sized garment bag (three folds)

One "international" sized (meaning wider but shorter) bag.

2 back packs, which fit under the seat in front of us.

Depending on the trip, it can get heavy, but it works.

I wish I could find a bag designer and fabricator- I would change the design of the garment bag so that it's easier to deal with. But it's ok- most new planes have no problem putting it in the overhead bins.

(we also carry on/off the ship, too- trying to step on board 10-15 min prior to the rooms being ready)

If you fly defiantly get hard side. TJ Maxx is my favorite luggage store.

The new hard side is lightweight, nothing like the old Samsonite that weighed 20lbs before you put anything in it.

Here is why I say hard luggage on our last cruise we where at the airport when a thunderstorm blew in like they do so often in Florida. They left the luggage outside during the sideways rain. My stuff in a hard sider was moist right around the zipper. not a big deal.

Everyone with soft bags, duffel bags where literally pulling dripping bags and car seats off the luggage claim. I mean water dripping out of their bags they where pissed.

I won't buy anything without 4 wheels so much easier than 2 wheels.

1. The spinner wheels add about 2-3 inches to the length of the case without adding additional storage space.

2. The spinner suitcases are less stable. I prefer to tip the case on the two wheels when I want to move. The spinner cases never seem to travel as smoothly.

3. The spinner wheels are more likely to break compared to two wheels that are mounted on a single axis.

I agree. Seems like almost all the new luggage has spinners.:(

It has always seemed to me the hard side Spinner suitcases, don't have the support where the top attaches to the bottom. I do agree the disadvantage to the spinner luggage, is you can't get a carry on in the overhead because of the wheels, however I can get more in the luggage because of their light weight.

Yes. Also, spinners don't work on cobblestone streets in Europe.

But you can tip a spinner and use 2 wheels

The issue with that is that the two wheels that are holding the suitcase are smaller than typical single two wheels on a normal case. Also they pivot so the case does not travel as smoothly.

But that is my opinion and nothing more.

Thoughts

• I too like hard sided for air travel. My luggage gets more abuse on cruises from the port staff
  • skip the zippers if you want security. Zippers can be easily compromised.
  • I too like 2 wheel luggage. Although they are harder to find.
  • When buying luggage..... bring along a luggage scale. It's amazing how much of the luggage itself counts to the 50lb limit. It's worse on Allegiant where there's a 40lb limit and then you get hit with surcharges.
  • under seat is getting popular... however I find they are still large to count towards personal item. They are also too small for my 15.5 inch laptop.

Thoughts

•  
  • under seat is getting popular... however I find they are still large to count towards personal item. They are also too small for my 15.5 inch laptop.

really?

On what airlines?

The backpacks I mention are pretty bulky, and barley fit under the seat. But we've never had a problem with taking them as the personal item.

It would be good to know where there are issues with items that will fit, but are not accepted.

We have had luggage from ll bean for over 10 years. Still in great shape, wheels and pull bar included. Some scratches but I can see keeping them another ten years. I have their rolling duffel bags too

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We each take a rolling garment bag and we check our luggage when we fly. This is the one we bought last year. It holds enough clothing for a two week cruise. I prefer not to carry on luggage on a plane.

https://www.amazon.com/Delsey-Luggage-Chatillon-Trolley-Garment/dp/B019PE5SS0/ref=sr_1_4?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1476300079&sr=1-4&nodeID=7141123011&keywords=rolling%2Bgarment%2Bbag&th=1

Edited by kalliekae

When buying luggage..... bring along a luggage scale. It's amazing how much of the luggage itself counts to the 50lb limit.

This is what I did when I last bought luggage. Everyone looked at me like I had lost it. However, what I found was that Samsonite has some of the heaviest luggage. The wheels can cause problems with the carryon size luggage so I also brought a tape measure with me. I now have carryon's that I know will fit even on the smaller planes and a 25" that holds everything I need for a 7-9 day cruise.

Since I prefer the soft sided luggage to avoid the rain issue when my luggage is getting loaded on the ship or plane I put all my things in the large ziplock bags. Dollar General has their own brand of these bags and cost only $1 each compared to the ziplock brand. So my clothes stay dry and a little less wrinkled even if my luggage gets wet.

Hope this helps.

Have a great cruise!

really?

On what airlines?

The backpacks I mention are pretty bulky, and barley fit under the seat. But we've never had a problem with taking them as the personal item.

It would be good to know where there are issues with items that will fit, but are not accepted.

airlines appear to be more lenient on backpacks.... but when I looked at my recently purchased under seat bag to United's personal size limits... it was too big.

At 15.1x14.3x8.9

https://www.amazon.com/Ciao-Carry-Wheeled-Under-Black/dp/B00M9GGCCI/ref=sr_1_1

United states the personal item is 17x10x9. Thus.... wouldn't my underseat bag count towards my carry-on item?

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/BaggageCarry-On.aspx

airlines appear to be more lenient on backpacks.... but when I looked at my recently purchased under seat bag to United's personal size limits... it was too big.

At 15.1x14.3x8.9

https://www.amazon.com/Ciao-Carry-Wheeled-Under-Black/dp/B00M9GGCCI/ref=sr_1_1

United states the personal item is 17x10x9. Thus.... wouldn't my underseat bag count towards my carry-on item?

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/BaggageCarry-On.aspx

Oh, I see. I never checked the actual dimension of our backpacks- they are not small what so ever- and really push the size getting them under the seat. But, like you say, backpacks are pretty lenient.

Thanks for the clarification.

For the past 10 years we've used 29" rolling duffles. I love them - and never worry about our clothing getting wet, because I pack everything in different zip-lock bags. I have every size from the teeny ones to hold jewellery to the gallon size that I can put DH's tux into. We've travelled all over the world with these and would not go back to hard sided luggage unless ours were beyond salvage and they stopped making them.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)