Freeport Damaged and no ships can dock per John H

tony_g51181

We have family that live in Freeport. The govt has told them to expect 3-4 months before the power can be restored. The pictures we have show massive damage. Hotels look like a bomb went off, house gone. They had 12 hours of intense wind. Most people that can are leaving the island for an extended time.

Our family person is going to stay in the England until after the holidays.

I really feel for the people who live in Freeport. It's a double whammy for them. Devastating hurricane and now loss in tourists dollars. We sail Monday 10-17 on the Valor still no word on where we will go instead. We are scheduled for HMC and Nassau already. I'm ok missing Freeport as its not a favorite for me but we would of had a good time no matter what.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

From what I can expect is Grand Turk, then Half Moon and then Nassau and then home or Key west, HMC and then Nassau....I just don't want an overnight in nassau!!

Agreed! We are on the Pride on the 16th. Want something other than an overnight in Nassau since we can't go to Freeport.

We have family that live in Freeport. The govt has told them to expect 3-4 months before the power can be restored. The pictures we have show massive damage. Hotels look like a bomb went off, house gone. They had 12 hours of intense wind. Most people that can are leaving the island for an extended time.

Wow 3-4 months without power that makes it unlivable.

This is so sad. I'm probably one of the few who prefer Freeport to Nassau. Last time we were in Nassau we stayed on the ship. As for Freeport, we've gone out to Paradise Cove/Deadman's Reef to snorkel and it's really good snorkeling. Hope they recover soon.

Feel bad for the people of Freeport, not only did Matthew do a number on them, but if cruise ships aren't coming in that's a lot of lost income.

Sailing the Pride NYE Week, supposed to stop at GT, HMC, and Freeport. Wondering if Freeport is still closed what the Freeport will turn into.

This is for the 10/17/16 Valor cruise.

October 12, 2016

Dear Carnival Valor Guest,

We're sure you are looking forward to you cruise on Monday so we'd like a moment of your time to provide you some information regarding our itinerary plans.

I'm sorry to say, Hurricane Matthew's impact on Grand Bahama was significant. It will take some time to complete the necessary repairs to the local infrastructure. We continue to work closely with our Freeport partners at the port, government and shore side services concerning the recovery efforts from the impact of Hurricane Matthew.

Until Freeport is ready for us to resume our calls, we have made some short term changes to various ship itineraries that will continue to deliver memorable experiences for you. For this cruise, we will replace our call to Freeport with an overnight stay in Nassau.

Below is our revised itinerary:

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Mon Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL 4:00 PM

Tue Fun Day @ Sea

Wed Half Moon Cay, The Bahamas 8:00 AM 4:00 PM

Thu Nassau, The Bahamas 8:00 AM Overnight

Fri Nassau, The Bahamas 6:00 AM

Sat Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL 7:00 AM

Pre-purchased Carnival shore excursions for Freeport will be automatically refunded to the original form of payment. For information on additional tours in Nassau, please visit the Shore Excursion desk located on Lobby, Deck 3, midship once onboard.

We apologize for this change in plans and thank you for your understanding.

We can't to welcome you aboard for a fun and memorable cruise.

Yep. We're on this cruise too and I just read the email. Told my husband I would have rather spent the night floating in the water at HMC and get an extra day there than in Nassau. Oh well, we're still looking forward to enjoying a half empty ship in Nassau .

This is for the 10/17/16 Valor cruise.

October 12, 2016

Dear Carnival Valor Guest,

We're sure you are looking forward to you cruise on Monday so we'd like a moment of your time to provide you some information regarding our itinerary plans.

I'm sorry to say, Hurricane Matthew's impact on Grand Bahama was significant. It will take some time to complete the necessary repairs to the local infrastructure. We continue to work closely with our Freeport partners at the port, government and shore side services concerning the recovery efforts from the impact of Hurricane Matthew.

Until Freeport is ready for us to resume our calls, we have made some short term changes to various ship itineraries that will continue to deliver memorable experiences for you. For this cruise, we will replace our call to Freeport with an overnight stay in Nassau.

Below is our revised itinerary:

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Mon Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL 4:00 PM

Tue Fun Day @ Sea

Wed Half Moon Cay, The Bahamas 8:00 AM 4:00 PM

Thu Nassau, The Bahamas 8:00 AM Overnight

Fri Nassau, The Bahamas 6:00 AM

Sat Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL 7:00 AM

Pre-purchased Carnival shore excursions for Freeport will be automatically refunded to the original form of payment. For information on additional tours in Nassau, please visit the Shore Excursion desk located on Lobby, Deck 3, midship once onboard.

We apologize for this change in plans and thank you for your understanding.

We can't to welcome you aboard for a fun and memorable cruise.

Edited by saharaga

We had a blast on our stop in Freeport! We enjoyed the beautiful snorkeling. A lovely beach and warm and welcoming people. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I wouldn't want to suggest stripping people of their livelihood while they are recovering from a category 4 hurricane. Praying and donating to the people, wildlife and the homeless dogs and cats of the islands.

An interesting side note, and in counter-point to the time frame given for repairs elsewhere in Grand Bahama, the Grand Bahama Shipyard, right up the harbor from the Freeport cruise terminal was open and running on the 10th, stating little damage from the storm.

An interesting side note, and in counter-point to the time frame given for repairs elsewhere in Grand Bahama, the Grand Bahama Shipyard, right up the harbor from the Freeport cruise terminal was open and running on the 10th, stating little damage from the storm.

Guess they have their own power supply than.