Another Azamara convert from Regent?

May I assume that an "R" ship now means Regent rather than Azamara's "R" class ship? Sorry but I get confused with the different meanings of the letter "R".

Sadly I must answer yes to your question. While we enjoyed the food on Regent prior to the debut of the "new" CR and Chartreuse, in the opinion of many people that have experienced the food, it is better than what is currently on the Voyager and Mariner. While I certainly cannot guarantee that this will be your experience, based on our food experience on the Explorer, we will not be sailing on the Mariner or Voyager until after the major refurbishments. And, unfortunately, there will probably be a "learning period" after the debut of the new menu in CR before things run smoothly (based on reviews of the Navigator).

For those of you new to Regent and will be on the Voyager or Mariner prior to refurbishment, I'm confident that you will find the food to be very good. IMO, the only problem with the splashy announcement for the new Compass Rose menu is that once you try it, going back to the old menu is less appealing.

Wendy, thank you for taking the time to review Azamara on this thread. There will undoubtedly be Regent passengers that will appreciate trying a less expensive option to Regent (which seems to be getting pricier every day!)

Sorry for the confusion or the meaning of 'R'. I'm still jetlagged.

As for food, that just means to me that the 'old' Regent gets a failing grade, if it's going to be *so* much better on the new ships. Azamara's food was consistently good, for us, except for one meal that was just mediocre.

And your remark about the less expensive option sounds condescending, but perhaps you didn't mean it that way. We would choose Az over RSSC right now if the value proposition was right--not because we "settled" for a lesser line. The "Azamara experience" stood up to Regent very well, it's just the items like Business Air and excursions that could sway us to Regent.

Right now I suspect Regent would win, simply because of the Business Air inclusion. Biz air to NZ/AUS seems to be priced about $8-10K right now. If we wanted something "less expensive" we could choose Premium Economy, as we've done in the past to Asia, and pick a smaller cabin on Az.

I think all of Azamara's itineraries are unique, because they do the overnight stops and the late night departures.

I was a long-term Regent lover, and I guess I still am, but I have openly stated that I am not willing to pay Regent's outrageous prices plus the 100% single supplement, so I guess I am that person "who is willing to settle for less for a lesser price". TC, don't you usually book a larger suite on the cruises you go on? I had a huge suite on Quest; I paid my own air, but I would have done that with any cruise line because of my business and my 96-year-old mother. Everything I book has to be refundable or insurable. The suite price was unbeatable.

I'll give what I remember of Regent the edge on food, but then I didn't eat a lot on Azamara. I love the fact that they have little sandwiches and pastries available. I know Regent does, too, but not during the time I was sailing on them.

Oh and another factor were the excursions. We took three ship-sponsored excursions, called "Land Discoveries". For better or for worse they were quoted in CAD, so I can't give you the USD equivalents, but they were pricey.

I would say in general they were good to very good. The first two were small groups, which impressed us. Less than 25. But the last one, a half-day on Malta, was a full bus, 40 people. The tour guide was fine, but the group was just too big!

We had one lovely private tour organized by a fellow traveller. It was wonderful. I have not seen signs of the kind of organizing of private tours that is done as a matter of course on Oceania. But I would certainly try hard to do that on any future Az cruise.

Just as a point of comparison, that private tour, with 5 people total, was 80 euros pp, or C$115, including a lovely wine tasting and exquisite antipasti-style lunch with locally-sourced products. Our half-day to Pompeii, with a group of 22, was C$146 pp.

Wendy, my comment was definitely not meant to be condescending. Regent prices are getting out of reach for many people. That is one reason why we tried Oceania -- less $$$, huge suite and good service (however, I would prefer not sailing Oceania again while my DH would consider it). For us, instead of going to premium cruise lines, we're doing Regent's less expensive itineraries (transatlantic, etc.) There are still bargains out there for Regent and, after 20 years of land travel, there is no itinerary that we just must book. One thing that keeps us 100% with Regent at the moment is we will soon be within striking distance of achieving Titanium level and receiving even more great benefits. It is difficult for us to pass us included laundry and discounts on Regent Choice Excursions.

I truly hope that the food on the Mariner will be fine prior to being refurbished. We have a friends (also on CC) that will be on the Explorer in November and the Mariner in January. Although food is subjective, they will be able to make a comparison between the "new" CR and what still exists on the Mariner and Voyager.

In terms of Azamara, for us, the ships are too old (the same reason we wouldn't sail on Silversea's older ships or Oceania's older ships.)

Pam: We book all levels of suites (generally PH and hope for an upsell). On our first Explorer cruise we were in a concierge suite, our November 2nd Explorer cruise is in a F2 suite and November 16th we move to a Grand Suite (amazing prices on large suites for transatlantic itineraries - even on the Explorer).

Edited by Travelcat2

Wendy, my comment was definitely not meant to be condescending. Regent prices are getting out of reach for many people. That is one reason why we tried Oceania -- less $$$, huge suite and good service (however, I would prefer not sailing Oceania again while my DH would consider it). For us, instead of going to premium cruise lines, we're doing Regent's less expensive itineraries (transatlantic, etc.) There are still bargains out there for Regent and, after 20 years of land travel, there is no itinerary that we just must book. One thing that keeps us 100% with Regent at the moment is we will soon be within striking distance of achieving Titanium level and receiving even more great benefits. It is difficult for us to pass us included laundry and discounts on Regent Choice Excursions.

I truly hope that the food on the Mariner will be fine prior to being refurbished. We have a friends (also on CC) that will be on the Explorer in November and the Mariner in January. Although food is subjective, they will be able to make a comparison between the "new" CR and what still exists on the Mariner and Voyager.

In terms of Azamara, for us, the ships are too old (the same reason we wouldn't sail on Silversea's older ships or Oceania's older ships.)

Pam: We book all levels of suites (generally PH and hope for an upsell). On our first Explorer cruise we were in a concierge suite, our November 2nd Explorer cruise is in a F2 suite and November 16th we move to a Grand Suite (amazing prices on large suites for transatlantic itineraries - even on the Explorer).

Fair enough. I didn't feel at all like the ship was old, btw. It's in great shape. But that's a personal choice.

I frankly think I'm getting tired of cruising, especially the dining. Yes, it was lovely to be back at sea, watching the waves for flying fish (didn't see any.) But I think I had a much better time during our 5-night stays in both Rome and Florence than our 7-day cruise. But it is still nice to be taken care of. And Journey felt quite homey to me, relaxed.

Where'd you stay in Rome and in Florence, Wendy?

Hi poss. Probably nowhere anyone else here would like, but we did.

We choose quirky little places, pensiones and small hotels usually outside of the main tourist areas. Sometimes they work out well, other times they are a bit challenging. Like the place in Lisbon where we had to walk up a steep hill to get to our hotel, then another steep road to get to the restaurants nearby.

In Rome we stayed in the Monti District, more or less north of the Colosseum. Little hotel called Hotel Grifo. Nice, clean, good staff, a lift to most floors. Kind of bare-bones and plain. But great area, lots of little restaurants, not too touristy. Rome is hilly, so our legs and knees got a workout, and cabs came in handy at times.

In Florence, again, we stayed Oltrarno, that is to say, on the other side of the river. A self-styled B&B called Soprarno Suites. Very nicely run, huge room, again rather plain but with good modern fixtures, a coffee machine in the room, an honour fridge out in the breakfast room for beer and water. We loved this place, and loved the district. Quite bohemian, lots of ateliers (or the Italian equivalent); it's the interior decorating district. A block from the Pitti Palace, same to Santo Spirito church and square, ten minutes from the Brancacci Chapel. We walked to the Uffizi in about 15 minutes. Lovely to get away from the tourists, and we found some terrific places to eat, and our concierge helped us make reservations. I knew Florence was compact, but it is incredibly so, very walkable.

Still hordes of tourists in both cities. Hot in Rome the last week of September, chilly in Florence, the second week of October.

Wendy thanks to you and your husband for your very detailed reviews. It's good to get an honest opinion from experienced cruisers, and very welcome to most of us.

What appeals to me is that Azamara ships are in port so much longer than other cruise lines, which is great for people to explore areas in interest on their own. Glad you had a good cruise and thanks again, Jean.

Wendy thanks to you and your husband for your very detailed reviews. It's good to get an honest opinion from experienced cruisers, and very welcome to most of us.

What appeals to me is that Azamara ships are in port so much longer than other cruise lines, which is great for people to explore areas in interest on their own. Glad you had a good cruise and thanks again, Jean.

Jean, yes, we like that too. There's usually at least one overnight, and one long evening in port, as I understand it.

I think the idea you had was good to take a shorter than usual cruise to test the waters so to speak and you definitely enjoyed it. Thanks for taking the time to report back to us all, look forward to your next review from Mariner in January. Jean.

I have been reading this thread for dazys here plus on AZ. I am a loyal Az person who is retesting Oceania this winter and Regent the following one.

I love the fact you include tours. But what AZ special is the late nights in ports and great docking spaces.we have on some cruises 3 or4 nights to ten. Abd at least one overnight. I like the fact that I know many officers by first name and have enjoyed dinner with them. Your company includes tours and drinks. Your cabins are bigger. Do you offer overnight land tours inAsia or NZ for example.

There is good and bad on every cruise line. Nothing is prefect. I am now looking at our lines if AZ does not go there. But Az is my second home ..does everyone feel that way here.

for this thread. I have always enjoyed your comments and opinions over the years. We have friends who swear by Azamara for all of the reasons you have mentioned. It's interesting to see how you feel that AZ compares to similar lines that we enjoy. It sounds as though there is consistently a good vibe on the ships.

Bravo to some overnight port stops. But remember what you are paying each day to stay on that ship. Would you pay close to that much to tour that port on a land tour? Just do the math!

Pat, that doesn't mean you're off the ship overnight. Just that you're in that port for two days, and one evening. It means you can go out for the evening on land, if you wish, or just stay out a bit late on a tour.

I have been reading this thread for dazys here plus on AZ. I am a loyal Az person who is retesting Oceania this winter and Regent the following one.

I love the fact you include tours. But what AZ special is the late nights in ports and great docking spaces.we have on some cruises 3 or4 nights to ten. Abd at least one overnight. I like the fact that I know many officers by first name and have enjoyed dinner with them. Your company includes tours and drinks. Your cabins are bigger. Do you offer overnight land tours inAsia or NZ for example.

There is good and bad on every cruise line. Nothing is prefect. I am now looking at our lines if AZ does not go there. But Az is my second home ..does everyone feel that way here.

You use the word "you and your" to mean Regent, the company. I believe that overnight tours are sometimes offered, although as IslandCruiser says, if you've paid that much to be on one of these ships, why would you want to pay more to leave it for a night? You'd have to go to their website and find out, or ask a competent TA.

It is nice to know a few people by name. This is true for us on the Paul Gauguin in Tahiti, our all-time favourite ship. But it's mostly waitstaff whose names we know, not officers. I'm not into the whole officer thing. Yes, I've eaten dinner with my share of captains over the years, but frankly, I don't give a fig, to paraphrase.

And let me reiterate. For us, the Paul Gauguin out of Tahiti is the gold standard for the perfect cruise ship, in a perfect destination. Doesn't matter how many times we do this, it always satisfies. For the record, this ship is smaller than AZ's ships, or Regent's.

You use the word "you and your" to mean Regent, the company. I believe that overnight tours are sometimes offered, although as IslandCruiser says, if you've paid that much to be on one of these ships, why would you want to pay more to leave it for a night? You'd have to go to their website and find out, or ask a competent TA.

get to places the ship can not go and it gives you highlights of another part of the country.

It is nice to know a few people by name. This is true for us on the Paul Gauguin in Tahiti, our all-time favourite ship. But it's mostly waitstaff whose names we know, not officers. I'm not into the whole officer thing. Yes, I've eaten dinner with my share of captains over the years, but frankly, I don't give a fig, to paraphrase.

funny, i am so use to that i am going to miss that on Oceania. makes me feel that the officers care about their guests on ship. everyone loves the PG but not sure how many times i want to go back to Tahiti. going back this wintr.

And let me reiterate. For us, the Paul Gauguin out of Tahiti is the gold standard for the perfect cruise ship, in a perfect destination. Doesn't matter how many times we do this, it always satisfies. For the record, this ship is smaller than AZ's ships, or Regent's.

I think most cruisers know the PG is a very small ship. but it gets you places a large can not go.

Ellbon, I'm sure you will feel the difference on Oceania with the officers. As I said, I don't need to feel chummy with them, but I found it nice on Azamara that they were friendly and approachable. Not so, in my experience, on Oceania. They stay quite aloof from the pax.

Ellbon, I'm sure you will feel the difference on Oceania with the officers. As I said, I don't need to feel chummy with them, but I found it nice on Azamara that they were friendly and approachable. Not so, in my experience, on Oceania. They stay quite aloof from the pax.

I ahave been on one Oceania and one Regent. have no clue what one officer looked liked. Even on Celebrity i would see them around the coffee idea.

Frankly, I'd rather build up a good rapport with the head sommelier, the maitre d', or perhaps the CD...they'll do more to make my cruise enjoyable than the other officers, IMO.

I find being friends with the HD, head of guest Relations has helped. knowing the head of tours has helped too. I drink more vodka than wine but i love a good red wine.

Thank you all for helping me. Oceania is up soon and regent will be.. I do believe the included drinks and tours will help me to enjoy regent

Frankly, I'd rather build up a good rapport with the head sommelier, the maitre d', or perhaps the CD...they'll do more to make my cruise enjoyable than the other officers, IMO.

Unlike Oceania, Regent officers generally have a good rapport with their guests. Posters probably notice how often people want to know who the GM, CD, etc. are on a particular cruise. We enjoy being close with both the crew and officers - not for any personal gain but because the stories of how they got where they are and how they manage time with their families when they are away months at a time. Their stories are so much more interesting than ours (IMHO).

If Azamara had new ships, we might give them a try simply because the officers and crew mingle with the guests!