Is it OK to take pics of food while dining?

UAL_FlyGal

My goodness people get a grip

Tacky is talking on your cell phone at the table in any restaurant

Tacky is old men in speedos

Tacky is wearing shorts to dinner in the GDR or Specialty restaurants

Tacky is talking about how much money you make & property you own

Tacky is boasting about how many Michelin star restaurants you have eaten in & the Chef let you cook your own meal there

Tacky is palming the Maitre'd to get into the specialties when you do not have a reservation

the list goes on

We had a table of 4 with people that obviously liked to show their wine knowledge

We do not usually drink at dinner not a problem if they do

The problem was they had to pass their glass to us to "sniff" the bouquet :eek:

They never asked if we would like a glass of their wine (which we would have declined ) but asking us to sniff their wine was TACKY

JMO

Agreed.

You can add to your tacky list people posting here that they only cruise in OS (over & over again :D)

To add about taking pictures - it's like most things in life. It's about how it is done that makes all the difference. Done tactfully without fuss and self-indulgence and with consideration to others it's OK - otherwise it can be obnoxious.

After all, we are talking about a dinner on a cruise on what is supposed to be a fun vacation - not a formal dinner at Buckingham Palace or a state banquet at the White House.

Edited by Paulchili

I'm not opposed IF the one taking the pictures gets the approval of all at the table. Secondly, the picture should be of the food only and not of the other diners, unless the picture taker likewise has their permission to do so.

I am personally peeved off when I discover the pictures of the insides of my home, along with MY guests, appearing on FB, in very pronounced detail. That person has been banned from my home without a second chance!

Oh my gosh. In reading this thread, I never even thought about someone using a flash at the table. Please, no!
Depends.... DSLR and large sensor cameras don't need flash. Smartphones are more likely to use flash for a sharper image in low light.

Another factor in low light is white balance... to avoid a yellow image, some photographers will use flash to avoid going yellow.

Flash also yields a sharper image.

The issue when the same person takes several flash images because they don't know how to use their camera. It does not help when the people at the table are trying to out do each other....

[YOUTUBE]zucONy9mHig[/YOUTUBE]

I'm not opposed IF the one taking the pictures gets the approval of all at the table. Secondly, the picture should be of the food only and not of the other diners

When you hold the camera OVER your plate no chance of getting other diners in your photo

I post pictures of the places we go on vacation, not the food we eat. That being said I actually like seeing pictures of the food that other posters put up of fabulous dishes! As long as it does not get excessive I do not see a problem with it being done at either a table I am sharing with someone or at a nearby table. I can definitely see someone taking a picture of the dish that they are eating at one of the casual restaurants, without intruding on other people.

When I invite people into my home, I would never worry about a photo being taken and showing up on their Facebook. My home is not that exclusive that it would not be able to be shown on Facebook!!!

Remember the days in the past when we all had to put up with those parading waiters with the Baked Alaska? All the patrons in the dining room stood up with cameras, cruise after cruise after cruise!

My pet peeve is being in a movie theater and someone texting on their phone! I actually asked the lady to get off her phone the other day in the theater. She told me she was talking about her children. Not really an excuse to me, if it was that important get up and walk out of the theater and then if you need to leave, go ahead and leave otherwise come back into the theater. Seems simple enough to me! Turning on a phone to text in a dark theater, is simply rude.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am a food appreciator.. both home and professional (CIA and Cordon Blu)

cook/chef.

First of all, you are one RUDE DUDE Hawaiidan. And second of all, I'm gonna be snappin' away!!

Thanks, EVERYONE ELSE, for your KIND responses. Pro or Con. :D

Dan. Always thought you were agency/CIA. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My uncle was with OSS and company Bill Donovan and Kissinger worked for him in Germany...I was actually a special advisor for a few years at Quantico/FBI/HRT counter terror. ops.... My cousin was with the company..Lebanon , It might surprise you to lean than the firm likes to hire from known family relations.... your jest was closer to reality than you might have thought......

but my CIA was Culinary in nature...to code secret recipes in St Helens and covert surveillance of Betty Crocker.who was rumored to be smuggling counterfit matzo to the JDL through a storefront in Bakersfield posing as a John Deer agency.

Hawaiidan;

From her reply, it appeared she had her mind made up before even asking the question and posting the thread.

As a former Airborne Ranger, I managed to survive long ago, in a few circumstances, in spite of Foggy (minded) Bottoms and their minions! ;) I had a cousin, that was in the "company" for years, one that Robert Hanssen, infamous former FBI counter intelligence chief, did his best to have killed off. Fortunately, unsuccessfully, he escaped from the darkside! ;)

These were not on Oceania, so I guess it's OK. lol

I told the Waiter in the interest of saving him steps, "No turf, just 3 Lobsters"

Ship MDR

aussie1.jpg.1d03a3b78cd5a30456c00ee386f34727.jpg

One of my many attacks on "Fish and Chips" in Australia.

aussie2.jpg.3ae87bdaa9113a08e4a3740d9f935f32.jpg

Kangaroo "Roo Burger" in Australia

aussie4.jpg.6fffa3ea49c6f2a64c914e10e0030e44.jpg

Clams and Mussels

Canaletto's Restaurant on Holland America

aussie6.jpg.397c87a8d07300b71560c6f540bd90f8.jpg

Enough said........

aussie7.jpg.2443adb214c347c472d7ef991017a467.jpg

Edited by ibfishing2

These were not on Oceania, so I guess it's OK. lol

I told the Waiter in the interest of saving him steps, "No turf, just 3 Lobsters"

Ship MDR

[attach]396400[/attach]

One of my many attacks on "Fish and Chips" in Australia.

[attach]396401[/attach]

Kangaroo "Roo Burger" in Australia

[attach]396402[/attach]

Clams and Mussels

Canaletto's Restaurant on Holland America

[attach]396403[/attach]

Enough said........

[attach]396404[/attach]

Okay- so here above are some food pix.

IMO, they hardly looks appetizing. And, even if their appearance was terrific, they say nothing about taste.

Food pix are worthless in the real culinary world.

We're all different and that's one of the great things about a cruise, we meet all kinds.

On our last Celebrity cruise, a table of 6 directly across from me were all taking pictures with flash cameras of each course. It was distracting, and I thought it rude. I simply made the effort not to be seated near them again.

But social norms are changing, Where once it was "We're all in this boat together, let's make it as pleasant as possible for everyone" the thinking of some now is "It's my vacation, who cares about anyone else, I'll do what I want. I don't care if the flash bothers anyone"

Someone taking flash pictures of their food to me is indeed rude, but it doesn't impact the taste of my food, and while I would have preferred they not use a flash, perhaps be a little more subtle, and pretend they were raised with manners no lasting harm was done.

I suspect those who want to take pictures of their food will do so regardless of anyone's opinion, just as those who would never think of it will not suddenly begin.

Food pix are worthless in the real culinary world.

I disagree. Today chefs go to great lengths to present their food as attractively as possible as well as in a new light and new form. The desserts in upscale restaurants are a lot more interesting than a simple slice of an apple pie (and just because it is beautiful, it doesn't mean it can't taste good); ditto for other food plates that are like a work of art.

Perhaps the presentation is not more important than the taste but it is VERY important to any chef worth his/her reputation.

On a different note, just think of how attractive the elaborate food displays and carvings are at the special lunches and special teas. I know I really like them a lot and enjoy taking pictures of them.

The creators of this beauty are rightfully proud of their work - as well as they should be. How best to preserve this wonderful memory but with a picture (after all, a picture is worth a thousand words :D)

Edited by Paulchili

I disagree. Today chefs go to great lengths to present their food as attractively as possible as well as in a new light and new form. The desserts in upscale restaurants are a lot more interesting than a simple slice of an apple pie (and just because it is beautiful, it doesn't mean it can't taste good); ditto for other food plates that are like a work of art.

Perhaps the presentation is not more important than the taste but it is VERY important to any chef worth his/her reputation.

On a different note, just think of how attractive the elaborate food displays and carvings are at the special lunches and special teas. I know I really like them a lot and enjoy taking pictures of them.

The creators of this beauty are rightfully proud of their work - as well as they should be. How best to preserve this wonderful memory but with a picture (after all, a picture is worth a thousand words :D)

I think there's a significant difference between taking pictures of the special displays (the High Tea, the fancy brunch) versus plate-by-plate pictures of a regular meal. Pity the friends and family who have to wade through those.

20 some years ago, my husband and I hosted a restaurant dinner for Japanese businessmen, most of whom didn't speak English, but seemed to understand it quite well. One of them discreetly took a picture of his entrée, explaining that he grew tired of replying to his wife when asked about what he had to eat on business trips, so now he just took pictures to show her. BTW, I have never seen anyone taking food pictures on O in something like 250 nights on board. I don't think it would bother me, but would amuse me. Marlene

I think there's a significant difference between taking pictures of the special displays (the High Tea, the fancy brunch) versus plate-by-plate pictures of a regular meal. Pity the friends and family who have to wade through those.

Presumably one knows - I certainly know - who might be interested in seeing those pictures and who is not.

No need to pity anyone in my case. Quite to the contrary - my nephew the chef loves to see those pictures, as do his "foodie" parents.

FWIW, I haven't taken any pictures of the plated food on Oceania but I have done so at some other interesting places around the world - both high end restaurants and simple street food. Always as discretely as possible.

Edited by Paulchili

Pity the friends and family who have to wade through those.

I put mine online & if people want to look at them they can do so or just skip them

We used to do Videos of our trips then have people over who wanted to see them

Most of the time we could only get one or two couples at the same time

Pit us who had to sit through 2-3 hrs of videos several times :eek: