Celebrity Credit Card - Is it Worth another Card For 100 OBC

taylortime05

Hi, I have enough credit cards and really do not need another one. I am considering applying because it doesn't cost anything and I will get 100 OBC. I could even get one for my husband and get 200 OBC.

Am I crazy? I just wonder how many people do this for the 200 OBC. I have a very good credit rating. I probably would not use the card after 1st purchase because I have other credit cards that earn more money. I would either keep it dormant or cancel it after certain period.

Thanks for your feedback.

When we got ours it came with a comp speciality dinner, look in the fine print.

You get 2 points for every $ spent with any RCCL Co. We use it to pay for the cruise then have to charge a bit more to reach the exchange threshold.

We do the same with Southwest Air throughout the yr. Haven't come out of pocket for our last 3 round trip flights from Dallas to FLL.

Hi, I have enough credit cards and really do not need another one. I am considering applying because it doesn't cost anything and I will get 100 OBC. I could even get one for my husband and get 200 OBC.

Am I crazy? I just wonder how many people do this for the 200 OBC. I have a very good credit rating. I probably would not use the card after 1st purchase because I have other credit cards that earn more money. I would either keep it dormant or cancel it after certain period.

We got it and have used it since for daily purchases and just pay it off each month. We will stop using it soon because we were only using it for the OBC and our cruise is in January. We did put our cruise payments on it and got double points and will end up with about $350 extra OBC just from the card.

I also have many (probably too many) credit cards, but have used this exclusively since I found out that I can use the points I earn toward paying off the cruise. I was able to deduct $300 from my most recent cruise and will be able to deduct another $300 for my Reflection cruise in March. Since I already have a very generous OBC, I'll use the points to pay off the cruise rather than adding more OBC. After that, the card will collect dust. My 2018 cruise is already booked on another line which also has a credit card that has a similar program.

Like wallie5446, we use the card to make the payments on our cruise (2x points), then about a month before the cruise, we order up our OBC at the max we have available (in $50 increments, I think).

The OBC is refundable so if we are flush in OBC, the amount from the credit card will be refunded to us. And if you use a different credit card at check-in for your folio account, it will just be refunded to that card, not automatically to the Celebrity Visa.

We've been "refunded" several hundred dollars this way so it is worth it to us to have this credit card.

Awhile back we held both a Royal Visa and Celeb Visa card & used both for awhile.

Celeb and the card company eventually parted ways and luckily, we managed to use up our accrued Celebrity points. The company converted the card to something else we have no interest in., so we lost any real benefit from that card..If we close it, it might ding our credit score so we use it once or twice a year at most...just so they don't close it....seems a waste.

The Royal card points are good for Royal and Celeb so we never saw a need for the new Celeb card.

If you are interested in the present card and any extra cruise perks that come with it, it's worth it BUT there is no guarantee it will forever be a Celeb card.....

Just curious as to which celebrity credit card you have the one that is free no annual fee or the $69 fee? We thought about doing this but was not sure.

So,you make one purchase and get 10k in points= $100. Then pay for a cruise and can use that once you reach a certain number for either more OBC or to pay towards cruise..any help would be appreciated..

In a word NO.

There are some other benefits that were available and if still available should also be considered. The point level to get a cruise can/may be better than taking the points as cash if put on another cc. If so, then that might be a good deal for you.

It boils down to 2% cash back on Celebrity cruise purchases, and 1% on everything else. Cash back is via OBC or dollar discount on cruise purchase. Plus some bonus points for opening it.

Many cards have similar programs, amex has double and triple points on certain categories, and can pay or anything with those points.

So I use Celebrity card for the double points paying for cruises only, and not for any other day to day purchases. I use amex for those.

Something to keep in mind is that some banks are cracking down on people opening credit cards just for the sign up bonus. For example, Chase won't give you a new card if you have opened 5 or more cards in the past 2 years. So personally, I wait for the really big offers and would not open a CC account for just $100 or $200.

If you have good to excellent credit, you can do a lot better than that with other cards that are available. For example, I just got a Chase Sapphire preferred card with 100,000 points that are worth $1500 toward any type of travel. They are a lot of other great travel cards out there. If you search "best travel credit cards" you can see what is available and find the one that best fits your needs. With the Chase Sapphire card I got, I get 3 points/dollar on travel and dining.