Love Carnival, Love S. Caribbean Itinerary, Hate the Fascination

Cruisegoer

Being the airfares are generally high to Puerto Rico, the fares tend to be low to attract cruisers to entice them.

When we started looking at this itinerary, the ship there was the Tropicale. It was only about 10 years old, but I didn't want to trade down to such a small ship.

Then they swapped her out and put in the Fascination. Suddenly the fare jumped to $1599 PP for an OV, but I wanted it, and booked it. Within a year, the fares had dropped to $599 for the same OV.

Bunch of years later we did the same itinerary on the Destiny. Cheap fare, but elevated airfare.

So, it might be they are putting the older ships there due to the low cruise cost. It's interesting that it's the Fascination once again. For the record, we liked that ship. I wonder how it has held up 21 years later.

I can't for the life of me figure out why Carnival is putting one of their oldest ships on this itinerary. Anyone have any insight as to when they might swap her out for a better ship on this run?

I don't have any idea when they'll get another ship there, but before the Fascination, they had the Liberty on that run (for about a year), and before that the Valor. On both of those ships the fares tended to be low when I checked, so that's probably the reason they switched.

Flights from NY to SJU are fairly plentiful and reasonable, and many are non stop direct.

I've sailed three times from SJ, once on the Destiny and the other 2 were on the Celebrity Summit in early December 2015 & January 2014. Interestingly, the Celebrity sailings were priced less than Carnival's fares when I booked as a solo.

While I mostly cruise and like being a Diamond on Carnival, I also like to experience other lines. When I can get a different or somewhat better cruise experience for a similar or lesser fare, that's a scoop!

From those with experience, what type of airfare prices should we expect out of major airports (chicago, NY, Atlanta, etc)

I've found non stop direct fares from JFK to SJU between $300 and $350 on the major carriers. Prices do get exhorbitant, sometimes double, if you are flying during holiday times.

Many times I'm able to use freq flyer miles on American, Delta or Jet Blue, those are the best fares of all!

From those with experience, what type of airfare prices should we expect out of major airports (chicago, NY, Atlanta, etc)

I've only flown out of Detroit (a pretty major airport) to San Juan. I've mostly paid between $400 and $600 round trip to get there. I would expect Chicago to be similar. New York is probably the #1 destination out of SJU and it has JetBlue, so I would think they would be cheaper. I'd also expect Atlanta to be cheaper because it's closer. Miami would probably be the cheapest major airport in the continental U.S.

SDF (Louisville)-SJU flights tend to be cheaper than SDF-MOB (Mobile), and both go through Atlanta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess would be that, because this itinerary is so port-intensive they feel like the ship is less important.

No. There's a stop every day in Hawaii as well. Now THAT'S port intensive.

In Bermuda, the ship just docks there for three days.

And how about them European cruises!

Edited by Je Souhaite

Ummmm, not sure what Hawaii cruise you were on, but there are 5 sea days....unless they moved some islands in between the west coast and Hawaii. I asked Carnival mgt and the answer was exactly what the OP said.

Edited by jimbo5544

I asked Carnival mgt and the answer was exactly what the OP said.

The OP didn't know.

Call Carnival Mgt. back and ask him why they put the brand new Fascination there when I sailed that itinerary. Or the relatively new Destiny. Or the Liberty.

BTW, the question was, why does Carnival put their oldest ships there.

Edited by Je Souhaite

The OP didn't know.

Call Carnival Mgt. back and ask him why my southern itinerary cruise was the most I ever paid on Carnival.

BTW, the question was, why does Carnival put their oldest ships there.

Your right, it was in response to the poster you quoted..... still the same answer. Oh, and I got the answer back on your question, they said you need to cruise Carnival more often.

Technically you are correct, the Med 8 day on the Vista has 7 port days (not a regular schedule tho...... San Juan is 6 port day in a 7 day cruise, but the logic is the same.

The cruise is very port intensive, therefore many people will book regardless of the ship just for the ports alone. The extensive time in port means very limited time aboard formguests to spend so why have all the bells and whistles when most are too exhausted to use them... the SJU market costs less to be competitive because airfare needs to be factored in and locals (which fill the ship in low season) and have a lower price point for cruising. Even with the lower price, the ship sails much of the time less than full. The competition is limited out of SJU whereas the markets from Florida and Texas are saturated and given the option, most people will choose any other ship above the fascination. And finally, given the lack of sea days, the demand for balcony cabins is low (people figure why spend the money as we will be on shore almost every day)? Finally, the short distances between the islands means that older ships can easily make these runs with less stress on the older engines and cost less in fuel. So I believe these are the factors taken into consideration. As long as The fascination is still in the fleet, it needs to be put SOMEWHERE and SJU is as good as any place!

Just returned Sunday. I've gotta`say the ship was in really great condition, even better than I expected. And the port intensive itinerary does make a difference in the fact that some of the newer Carnival amenities like alternative restaurants are not available. We really enjoyed the ship again, having been on her previously when she was brand new.

We sailed the Destiny and Liberty out of SJ. I would rather have a larger ship to hang out on - no matter how port intensive. We tend to go off the ship as soon as she docks, and be back around lunchtime or early afternoon, so we have lots of time on the ship. I probably would not sail the Fascination, when other lines have competitively-priced options with more free offers, bells and whistles.

We sailed this itinerary on the Valor.

One of our very favorite cruises because of the activities that we did at the ports.

I would not hesitate to book the same on the Fascination.

Sometimes, ship amenities are very important to us. On this particular itinerary, not so much.