Divina Dining Changes Post-Dry Dock

cruiseguyinorl

Have just looked to see if there is a roll call for next week (couldn't find one) so have put a message on the one for the week of the 29th to see if anyone can get copies of the daily MDR menus for us to get an idea of the changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Have just looked to see if there is a roll call for next week (couldn't find one) so have put a message on the one for the week of the 29th to see if anyone can get copies of the daily MDR menus for us to get an idea of the changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You mean the 22nd? I'm on that one. There is a roll call.

You can ask there. (we're in the YC so I can't help you with MDR menus.)

What are the for fee items in the MDR? What are the changes to the buffet?

The only fee items are supposedly the ones I listed in the original thread. Those are Shrimp Cocktail (I'm going to miss that one), Lobster and Surf & Turf.

The buffet was removing some items such as kippers and a couple of other things I don't remember. Also said they were now providing cream cheese and bagels with the lox but I thought they already were. No major changes that I can remember.

Bret

I realize this thread is about dining but since I just remembered it, thought I would add this.

Sadly, as part of their post-dry dock changes, The Luna Bar has been re-purposed from a Martini bar to a Mixology Bar. That means they will be focusing on unique hand-crafted cocktails. I've seen page one of the menu and they do look good. However....they are priced at $8.75 which means they are not covered with the Escape vouchers. Yes, they had the dreaded red asterisk. :(

Bret

Hi Bret

Do you think this info would be good for the sticky All Information.......................

Sounds like MSC have gone totally US on the dining front , not much different to RCI.

Pete

:mad: I wish they would not do it. There is enough american junk food on other lines .

Oh, no!!! I liked the fact that the MDR was leisurely and had the different courses. Although if I read the OP's original post correctly, I can still order my appetizer, soup, salad, pasta and entree if I wish.

As far as the lobster goes, it was a Caribbean lobster tail and very easy to skip for something else on the menu. I am sorry to see the kippers go at breakfast. I can have smoked salmon (unsure if it is being replaced by lox or nova smoked) at home anytime I want it.

Oh, no!!! I liked the fact that the MDR was leisurely and had the different courses. Although if I read the OP's original post correctly, I can still order my appetizer, soup, salad, pasta and entree if I wish.

As far as the lobster goes, it was a Caribbean lobster tail and very easy to skip for something else on the menu. I am sorry to see the kippers go at breakfast. I can have smoked salmon (unsure if it is being replaced by lox or nova smoked) at home anytime I want it.

I agree about the lobster, but I will still miss it. To me, it was a cruise tradition, part of formal night, and, I doubt it really cost the cruise line that much. If so, just raise the price of the cruise $20.

So while you might not miss lobster, I might not miss kippers at all.

I'll see if these changes are happening in the YC.

I was looking at Oceania for our next cruise (but was willing to forego it for Seaside if I liked YC). I'll make my opinions known at the Cruise Critic meeting. Our cruise is Saturday.

Edited by mafig

Anything else you want me to look out for?

Yes please! If you could get some pictures of the current Yacht Club bar menu, people are always asking which brands of alcohol are included and which are not. That would be awesome. My list is a couple of years old.

Bret

Edited by cruiseguyinorl

I can't image how long Dinner was with 5 courses as it was 1 1/2 to 2 hours for just the three courses. We did order an appetizer, a pasta and an entree sometimes so you can make it to your liking.

I thought overall the food was pretty good in the main dining which is the only place we ate once we found out that gluten free meals are only available in the main dining.

This created a problem on the first port day when we got back early to have lunch on board. In addition to us, another couple and a family who were all gluten free showed up to have lunch. While it may have been in the daily planner that it would be closed ( I say may because times posted when it was open were not always accurate) none of us were informed what our options were when it was closed as evidently other passengers were informed what to do.

A crew member just happened to come by and told us it was closed we all asked what we were to do since this is the only place to serve gluten free food. She called two officers Flavio the Maitre D and Carlos, who was maybe in charge of all dining(?) and they got two waiters and had a cook report and we were made a meal that we ate in the pizza restaurant we had a GF pasta with seafood and salmon, both were very good. We were also given a free Mojito which was pretty strong and calmed us all down, lol. We were then told we could order lunch from guest services that would be made to meet our dietary needs and could be taken from the ship or eaten aboard. We were told that 14 guests had done that today.

There were clearly some communication issues about this and what was surprising is that we got a phone call on the 2nd day to make sure everything was ok. I told them the meals were good but the gluten free menu and where we could get gluten free food was limited. That would have been a great time to inform us about alternate arrangements because the dining room would not be open on port days.

So while it was an issue once informed we were ok. While I was impressed with the officers and how they accommodated all of us, the waiters were very unsure of what could be done and we typically got responses of I don't think I can do that.

I can tell you they were busting their butts and we appreciated them but empowering them would be good for business imo.

Dave

Edited by SnorkelBoy

Disappointed that MSC is doing this for the "American" market. We specifically chose her to have a more "European" feel. Only in America is not having a waiter or bar server in your face all the time considered poor service. In most other countries it is considered rude to interrupt you every 5 minutes, and servers wait until you call them to request something.

It's too bad but my guess is, MSC will gain more pax than lose. The few of us who feel that this is a negative change well, we'll be way outnumbered by those who like the changes.

I will add that it sounds just like NCL. The cutbacks, minimizing the menus even in the specialty restaurants, removing the prized lobster from the complimentary dining menu and then offering it at an up-charge. It's an echo....

I'm one of those North Americans you are referring to. I like MSC because it is different from the other lines I've sailed. There is a reason I don't like Carnival and I'm hoping MSC doesn't become just another Americanized line in the US and Caribbean.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

My husband and I are 2 Americans that love the Italian way of cruising with the long dinners and the slower pace. Our lives are rushed 50 weeks out of the year with long hours at work and always hurrying to get everything done. We enjoyed our cruise on Divina and just kicking back and relaxing. 46 more days until we get to do it again!!!

While you now have to pay for a lobster i'm sure it will be bigger and better. On other lines you go to the steak house and you pay more $39 on RCL for a surf and turf but MSC is only charging $24. People complain no matter what they do. First it was that the dinners took to much time so now they will only be 3 courses to expedite matters and now more complaints. Every line is cutting back on a lot of food items etc so it's not just MSC.

While you now have to pay for a lobster i'm sure it will be bigger and better. On other lines you go to the steak house and you pay more $39 on RCL for a surf and turf but MSC is only charging $24. People complain no matter what they do. First it was that the dinners took to much time so now they will only be 3 courses to expedite matters and now more complaints. Every line is cutting back on a lot of food items etc so it's not just MSC.

My understanding is this charge isn't for the steak house, it's in the MDR.

When you go to the specialty restaurants on Royal, the atmosphere is nicer than the MDR, as are the appys, salads, deserts, etc.

Plus, I believe that RCL still offers lobster for free in the dining room .... part of a seafood plate.

Now NCL has stopped lobster for "free." So I guess MSC has decided to copy them.

Wow, even Carnival and RCL have shrimp cocktail and lobster one night. $20 for lobster? Better be a frickin' large lobster tail, IMO for that. (not those little $8 ones that they sell at our grocery store).

I wonder if this is to drive revenue into the specialty restaurants? Now I'm definitely getting one of the extra dinner packages.

I guess I'm OK with buffet on port days (we're usually out and about anyway).

Very disappointed in the Martini bar.

I agree about the lobster, but I will still miss it. To me, it was a cruise tradition, part of formal night, and, I doubt it really cost the cruise line that much...

Agree it is both a formal night tradition and expectation to many. Cost wise, it certainly adds up when some greedy people would order up to 5+ lobsters each. I would like to see cruise lines continue with free lobster night but limit the quantity to two each max.

Can anyone tell me if they have the MDR menus posted early in the day? Royal has those touchscreen menus posted outside near the elevators so you can see what's on the menu for lunch & dinner that day. Anything similar on Divina? Thanks

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Can anyone tell me if they have the MDR menus posted early in the day? Royal has those touchscreen menus posted outside near the elevators so you can see what's on the menu for lunch & dinner that day. Anything similar on Divina? Thanks

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

They are posted outside the MDR after lunch. You can also ask to see all the 7 day menus on the first night.

My understanding is this charge isn't for the steak house, it's in the MDR.

When you go to the specialty restaurants on Royal, the atmosphere is nicer than the MDR, as are the appys, salads, deserts, etc.

Plus, I believe that RCL still offers lobster for free in the dining room .... part of a seafood plate.

Now NCL has stopped lobster for "free." So I guess MSC has decided to copy them.

I know that it's in the MDR, but is still only $24 for a surf and turf.

Americans have become such tools. Can't even enjoy a proper meal. Rush, rush, rush. A two hour five course meal with friends (old or new) is a luxury, and yet there are those that whine that they can't take the time for it. Art of dining, lost. Art of conversation, lost.

Yet they insist that they have wi-if available so they can get back to their phones instead.

Unbelievable.