Norwegian Fjords -- cruise line options

I am considering a cruise in the fjords somewhere around July - Sept 2017.

Have been looking at some Cunard cruises.

Someone from work recently went Hurtigruten, but I am passed hostels of the water.

Seaborne and the like are beyond the wallet.

So, I was wondering whether there are other ideas that people may have about different choices.

Thanks

Hi, did a cruise to the Norwegian Fjords in August on PO Brittania, I also think that a couple of the other PO ships also cruise the Fjords. We saw a Princess and Black Watch ship during our cruise.

It was absolutely amazing, the Fjords are spectacular and Norway untouched, so would not hesitate in recommending PO UK.

Cheers V

I am considering a cruise in the fjords somewhere around July - Sept 2017. Have been looking at some Cunard cruises. Someone from work recently went Hurtigruten, but I am passed hostels of the water. Seaborne and the like are beyond the wallet. So, I was wondering whether there are other ideas that people may have about different choices. Thanks

As others have noted, there are lots of different options for seeing Norway's wonderful western coast, including its scenic fjords. But, the season there is fairly short and the cruise options are not cheap. Norway is an expensive country with significant taxes and high labor costs. Sorry, bargains are hard to find there. For timing, I would focus in the July and August period. By September, the weather can get a little challenging, especially if you want to go farther north up, UP along that coast.

KEY NORWAY COAST CHALLENGE/QUESTION: One major issue is whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go farther north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice!!??

Below are some visuals to share some of the options and potentials in doing this scenic area. Many more pictures and details can be seen on my live/blog that is linked below.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 204,319 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords. Being up on the top of the boat can provide great view on BOTH sides as you sail up and down these various fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. The canal or waterway in the middle of the town is called "Brosundet" (or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or, reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands of Norway on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

This is one of my many puffin visuals, showing their bright orange feet, plus their cute and unique beaks. We had a private boat from the harbor in Gjesvaer near the North Cape at the top of Norway.:

BirdRockPuffinFeet.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. Here is this view, at a lower level, that provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

We sailed Celebrity's Connie from Amsterdam (and return) for an absolutely wonderful cruise of Norway from sort of "bottom to top." The ship and crew were great, the scenery incredible and we enjoyed the towns, the people, the shore excursions and the food.

I am considering a cruise in the fjords somewhere around July - Sept 2017.

Have been looking at some Cunard cruises.

Someone from work recently went Hurtigruten, but I am passed hostels of the water.

Seaborne and the like are beyond the wallet.

So, I was wondering whether there are other ideas that people may have about different choices.

Thanks

NCL, Princess, X, RCI and P&O UK all do the Norwegian fiords. There are many other cruise lines as well. I was on the Caribbean Princess in 2015 for a B2B, where we do Norway cruise before the Trans Atlantic. It was wonderful.

As said above most of the major cruise lines do the Norwegian Fjords...however some ony do 1 or 2 , so rather than picking a cruise line I would be looking at the itineraries that are offered.Decide which ones you would like to visit and then look for a ship that does them. Some of the popular ones get booked out well in advance.

We are looking to do the Norweigan Fjords and/or Baltic in May/June 2018 before/after attending a nieces wedding in Bourton on the Water, Cotswolds. Probably from Southampton, prefer Princess but happy to go on P&O UK, or if our inaugral Cunard voyage in March goes OK, perhaps a Cunarder. The Fjord cruises are only around 7 days so IMO one needs to combine it with another to make the trip worthwhile. In our case Fjords/Baltic B2B perhaps.

A lot of cruise lines do the above itineraries. Ask Mr Google.

Edited by NSWP

We are looking to do the Norweigan Fjords and/or Baltic in May/June 2018 before/after attending a nieces wedding in Bourton on the Water, Cotswolds. Probably from Southampton, prefer Princess but happy to go on P&O UK, or if our inaugral Cunard voyage in March goes OK, perhaps a Cunarder. The Fjord cruises are only around 7 days so IMO one needs to combine it with another to make the trip worthwhile. In our case Fjords/Baltic B2B perhaps.

A lot of cruise lines do the above itineraries. Ask Mr Google.

I agree that it is best to combine it with another cruise so you get a couple of different itineraries.

I agree that it is best to combine it with another cruise so you get a couple of different itineraries.

As much as you can Mic. Got to make that air ticket work for you. Next cruise we are on, Island Princess - 16 Nov. 90% of pax are Californians, no flights, just drive to and from San Pedro and they often get liberal free parking from their precruise hotel, if they have on.

As much as you can Mic. Got to make that air ticket work for you. Next cruise we are on, Island Princess - 16 Nov. 90% of pax are Californians, no flights, just drive to and from San Pedro and they often get liberal free parking from their precruise hotel, if they have on.

Yeah, the flights are long and expensive, so must get plenty of gain out of that pain.

Thanks for the advice and the brilliant photos.

When I was a youngster I went as far north as Trondheim on a Contiki tour, so thinking about how to proceed in a more "mature" manner. One of the reasons to look at Cunard.

I had not thought about that sort of B2B, so will explore options that way.

The airfare will not just be to catch a boat, I will also be catching up with my daughter, when she works out where she will be in Europe.

Cheers

We just did the Fjords with Azamara - 15 nights Amsterdam to Amsterdam. Went to the North Cape and back. Approx 700 passengers, able to dock close to towns and cruise through the Troll Fjord in Lofoton islands. Basically all inclusive - selection of beverages included. We were able to book during promotion - balcony for an inside. Norway is all about the scenery.

We just did the Fjords with Azamara - 15 nights Amsterdam to Amsterdam. Went to the North Cape and back. Approx 700 passengers, able to dock close to towns and cruise through the Troll Fjord in Lofoton islands. Basically all inclusive - selection of beverages included. We were able to book during promotion - balcony for an inside. Norway is all about the scenery.

Definitely.