Upgrade Fairy - Sort of

LaShelle2

I noticed the cost of my Dec 5 Inside Stateroom on Empress has dropped considerably since I booked 3 days ago. I was able to upgrade to an oceanview for only $6 more. This was a no brainer. I check the rates and availability every day once I book a cruise. I have never been able to upgrade for such a small amount before this one. Very happy with the price. :D

I am still holding my breath for the day I get a call upgrading me to a JS. I hope I don't run out of oxygen.

There is an app for that... watching your cruise price. It emails you if price changes.

The downside to the automatic emails is it could be 12+ hours before you get the email after the price changes, and it doesn't take into account booking perks (like OBC). I find the emails useful, but I still end up checking the website almost every day. On several occasions I have caught a sale or price drop long before I ever got an email.

I use the ShipMate app.

I like *************** because of how customizable the alerts can be.

edit: well, I guess CC doesn't let this site get linked for some reason (it's not an online TA...) Just google search something about cruise + fish + .net

Edited by ravensbad

For those of you that got the upgrades "free" or for a steal, was it based on pricing published on the website, or were you able to negotiate something better?

I upgraded from an inside to a superior OV at no extra charge...based on website pricing...that is all Royal will consider...

After final payment is another issue.

In order to make a change in cabin category after final payment you would have to pay the cancellation fee (varies depending upon how far after final payment you are). That almost never works out in your favor.

Same here - no cancellation fee. I just upgraded our room for our cruise in December. We are after final payment. I just paid the difference between the current rate for the upgraded room and what I paid for my original room.

Same here. It took several tries, since some of the sales were for new bookings only, but eventually a WOW sale popped up that was good for existing bookings and they honored the price (and let us keep our OBC).