Johnny Rockets vs Guys burgers

CJHAN

We just got of a RC ship we always do JR on one of the formal nights . Its fun and they dance and sing food is pretty good. I always figure its just part of our routine leave them a nice tip . But I think Guys burgers and fries are just as good if not better . Wouldn't pay to et there every day but would do it once if they charged . Might be better if they did I wouldn't gain so much weight :D:D

This is like comparing apples and oranges, really. One's a sit-down restaurant and one's a walk-up fast-food place.

That said, I like both about equally at their current price-points. For $7 you basically get all-you-can-eat at JR's and there's much more variety on the menu....and they stayed open until 5am on my recent music charter cruise, just for us. That was really nice.

Guy's has probably the best complimentary burger at sea, and there's seldom a long wait (even when the line is long it tends to move quickly).

Would I pay a nominal upcharge for a burger there? Sure....up to around $2 for a burger and fries. If that sounds kinda low, I'm factoring in the overall cost of the cruise as part of their intake, just as the cover charge at JR's is about half what you'd pay ashore.

Very different concept. Guys cannot justify an upcharge the way it is currently implemented. Johnny Rockets is a sit down establishment with waiter service, food cooked to order, etc. Guys is essentially an extension of the buffet. Trays of already cooked burgers that they sling on a bun and hand you. We thought Guy's was good, but it's hardly some sort of destination.

Also note that Johnny Rockets is only $5. So you get a lot for $5. I've read that a big part of the upcharge is to keep crowds in check and so kids don't just hang out there. For $5, well worth it. Same with Sabor vs Blue Iguana. Johnny Rockets also offers a proper sit down breakfast which is complimentary. Just a very different concept than Guys - it's not comparable.

If you want to compare, you would compare Wipeout Cafe with Guys. Both complimentary, near the pools, etc. (though it depends on which ship) Guys has better burgers and Wipeout has more options, though I don't consider it a deal breaker either way.

You are funny

Sent from my iPhone

Guys beats JR hands down and is free. You can call the "charge" whatever you want. Sit down stand up food is food.

Sent from my iPhone

You pay for the service and experience. As a cruiser, this should not be a foreign concept for you.

You pay for the service and experience. As a cruiser, this should not be a foreign concept for you.

You pay because they nickel and dime you. Ridiculous but not un royal in nature. Same as charging 3.50 for. Tiny bag of popcorn / maybe they want to keep the crowds down at the popcorn vendor ??

Sent from my iPhone

You pay because they nickel and dime you. Ridiculous but not un royal in nature. Same as charging 3.50 for. Tiny bag of popcorn / maybe they want to keep the crowds down at the popcorn vendor ??

Sent from my iPhone

One line offers a sit down restaurant with waiters, food cooked to order, singing, dancing, etc.

The other offers trays filled with pre-cooked burger meat that they slop on a bun and send you on your way, essentially part of the buffet.

Tell me more about who is nickle and diming.

I'm sorry that $2.50 can supposedly ruin a cruise for you. Ridiculous..... riiight.

Edited by BNBR

One line offers a sit down restaurant with waiters, food cooked to order, singing, dancing, etc.

The other offers trays filled with pre-cooked burger meat that they slop on a bun and send you on your way, essentially part of the buffet.

Have you had a guys burger?

Sent from my iPhone

Careful what you ask for I have a long list of nickel and diming

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by jimbo5544

Obviously that's in the tastebud of the beholder. I hear you can get something less than well done these days on CCL, but mine was an overcooked dry hockey puck. Off the assembly line. You can "dress" it up to offset the taste, but why bother.

Still waiting.....

Sent from my iPhone

i don't like guy's and i certainly wouldn't pay for an 80/20 burger that sits in grease.

But i would buy a kobe burger, probably more than one, if they were offered for $5. Like that would ever happen.

Otherwise, burgers and fries and what not aren't on my list of my 100 favorite foods.

101?

D

I'm sorry that $2.50 can supposedly ruin a cruise for you. Ridiculous..... riiight.

It did not ruin it, just disappointed. Oasis is a great ship but the nickel and diming is so disappointing. Charging for this and that, your right that kind of stuff is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by jimbo5544

Johnny Rockets is a restaurant.

The day Carnival moves their burgers to a sit down venue with waiter service, it will be the same. Until then, it's self serve. You will wait on yourself, in line.

And get a better burger

Sent from my iPhone

D

It did not ruin it, just disappointed. Oasis is a great ship but the nickel and diming is so disappointing. Charging for this and that, your right that kind of stuff is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone

I just disagree. I don't think they are nickel and diming. Even with as many cover charge options, they still have tons of complimentary options - including a burger/fries/hot dog spot near the pool a la Guys. There is a complimentary spot at every neighborhood, sometimes multiple. I think you are confusing the additional for-fee options as replacements for similar Carnival options... they are not. That was the point of my original response - that JR and Guys are not comparable (at least on Oasis class). Wipeout and Guys would be comparable. And Guys is better.

I just never felt nickle and dimed on Oasis at all - since the main spots in every neighborhood were complimentary... (outside JR and Sabor on Boardwalk). And we enjoyed the added value/experience when we decided on Sabor for lunch. We felt we got a heck of a lot for a very minimal upcharge.

If anything, I felt Carnival was lacking that "added" experience of the higher end upcharge options. Though Vista seems to have a bunch... so tell me more about this being a Royal thing... But again, Guys is probably the best complimentary burger at sea.

Edited by BNBR

Love guy's on embark day for lunch.

JRs was ok but not worth the money IMO.

I think I would compare more to p&o lido deck burger, which was also quite good. (Well very good considering its very British oriented) They are also cooked on the deck in a factory line style and not just oven cooked and left on a tray.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Forums mobile app

I am one who doesn't like Guys. I don't like "crispy" outsides to the burger and the two times I tried them, they were crispy. I thought that the first time they had been sitting a while, but the second time, they were right off the grill. I didn't eat more than one bite out of either, so no way would i ever pay for them.

I don't think that JR is all that great, but I love the onion rings and the hot fudge sundae. I know they have other sandwiches and I might have to try them on my next Allure cruise.

I just disagree. I don't think they are nickel and diming. Even with as many cover charge options, they still have tons of complimentary options - including a burger/fries/hot dog spot near the pool a la Guys. There is a complimentary spot at every neighborhood, sometimes multiple. I think you are confusing the additional for-fee options as replacements for similar Carnival options... they are not. That was the point of my original response - that JR and Guys are not comparable (at least on Oasis class). Wipeout and Guys would be comparable. And Guys is better.

I just never felt nickle and dimed on Oasis at all - since the main spots in every neighborhood were complimentary... (outside JR and Sabor on Boardwalk). And we enjoyed the added value/experience when we decided on Sabor for lunch. We felt we got a heck of a lot for a very minimal upcharge.

If anything, I felt Carnival was lacking that "added" experience of the higher end upcharge options. Though Vista seems to have a bunch... so tell me more about this being a Royal thing... But again, Guys is probably the best complimentary burger at sea.

You did not answer my question about whether you had a guys burger. My guess partially based upon this response is no.... There is no way anyone who has had the "cooked yesterday stacked in...something" hockey pucks from the Windjammer could compare them with a guys burger.... I guess you just meant location..... That said I don't really know why you say they are not comparable, I have eaten in both and think they are....well sort of. The seating, environment singing - now that is funny and anything else aside, Guys is just far better....sorry.

I agree that Carnival is lacking in yo charge...thank god. I won't steal the thread to compare the uncharged and the nickel and diming, if you want to see my thoughts, check my review of my sailing on the Oasis, I posted it here and the royal main thread page. The Vista, which is the nicest sailing we have had to date, does have a few for pay restaurants, but that is not what I was referring to. I think we both have made our points on the topic. I will move on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's in the title what do you like better? And to go with this if Carnival decided to make Guys an up charge like JR would you be willing to pay?

I'm a JR veteran who tried Guys for the first time last month. As far as the burgers themselves.... Guys. Definitely Guys. Nothing against JR...it's a good burger. But I thought Guys was better. Plus, I like how you can just order and go wherever, opposed to the sit down formality of JR. If JR is full, and it usually is on a sea day, it's no burger for you (insert soup **** voice)!

On the other hand, I think JR has better fries. Guys fries are a little too seasoned for my taste. Plus, JR has excellent milkshakes, and they are open for free breakfast in the morning. So while I prefer Guys, I certainly won't say JR is anything bad. The service charge is just that...a charge for the sit down service, which includes the tips.

I also understand BNBR's point. Oasis Class has a free poolside, made-to-order burger joint called Wipeout. Those burgers are pretty good but since it's not a sponsored venue by an outside big shot, it's just backyard grill quality burgers. Compared to Wipeout, Guys is waaaaaaay better.

JMHO, of course. :)

Edited by Aquahound

No. I do not pay extra for ANY food aboard ship.

If you have not experienced the Steakhouse, you are missing a fabulous meal for $35. The steaks are Prime and on a quality level of Ruth's Chris or Lowrey's where the steaks alone, ala carte are upwards of $50. The steaks in the MDR are mediocre at best. At a good restaurant you could not get soup, salad and appetizer for less than $35.