Johnny Rockets vs Guys burgers

CJHAN

One line offers a sit down restaurant with waiters, food cooked to order, singing, dancing, etc.

The other offers trays filled with pre-cooked burger meat that they slop on a bun and send you on your way, essentially part of the buffet.

Tell me more about who is nickle and diming.

I'm sorry that $2.50 can supposedly ruin a cruise for you. Ridiculous..... riiight.

One line charges for the burger, one doesn't. Who's nickel and diming?

Sent from my Galaxy 4

I also understand BNBR's point. Oasis Class has a free poolside, made-to-order burger joint called Wipeout. Those burgers are pretty good but since it's not a sponsored venue by an outside big shot, it's just backyard grill quality burgers. Compared to Wipeout, Guys is waaaaaaay better.

JMHO, of course. :)

Maybe it's changed. When we were on Oasis this past spring the wipeout cafe was like a small self serve cafeteria. You got a tray, got your bun, then a burger, then you put what onion or lettuce you wanted on it. They had hotdogs also. I wouldn't call them made to order, they were in a big pan under a heat lamp.

I'm a JR veteran who tried Guys for the first time last month. As far as the burgers themselves.... Guys. Definitely Guys. Nothing against JR...it's a good burger. But I thought Guys was better. Plus, I like how you can just order and go wherever, opposed to the sit down formality of JR. If JR is full, and it usually is on a sea day, it's no burger for you (insert soup **** voice)!

On the other hand, I think JR has better fries. Guys fries are a little too seasoned for my taste. Plus, JR has excellent milkshakes, and they are open for free breakfast in the morning. So while I prefer Guys, I certainly won't say JR is anything bad. The service charge is just that...a charge for the sit down service, which includes the tips.

I also understand BNBR's point. Oasis Class has a free poolside, made-to-order burger joint called Wipeout. Those burgers are pretty good but since it's not a sponsored venue by an outside big shot, it's just backyard grill quality burgers. Compared to Wipeout, Guys is waaaaaaay better.

JMHO, of course. :)

Johnny Rockets on Freedom had some of the very best onion rings I've ever tried and you are right, their shakes are great. The apple pie and ice cream is pretty good too. I'm like you though, I think Guys burgers were better than JRs. I should have included IMHO in my previous post. :)

Maybe it's changed. When we were on Oasis this past spring the wipeout cafe was like a small self serve cafeteria. You got a tray, got your bun, then a burger, then you put what onion or lettuce you wanted on it. They had hotdogs also. I wouldn't call them made to order, they were in a big pan under a heat lamp.

You can do either...take from what's already made, or make your own order. I've always ordered so that I got them fresh and cooked to my liking.

You can do either...take from what's already made, or make your own order. I've always ordered so that I got them fresh and cooked to my liking.

Then it may have changed. There was no one to take an order when we were there. Just a small staff tending the items that were set out and making sure they were replenished.

Then it may have changed. There was no one to take an order when we were there. Just a small staff tending the items that were set out and making sure they were replenished.

Either that or it changed after me. My 4 Oasis Class cruises pre-date yours.

But oh how I do love the pretzel dogs at the Wipeout Cafe.

One line offers a sit down restaurant with waiters, food cooked to order, singing, dancing, etc.

I'm surprised that no one else has pointed out that Carnival also offers a sit down restaurant with waiters, food cooked to order, singing, and dancing. They also serve burgers along with other, more sophisticated items. It's also free.

Yes, because I'm a peasant with simple tastes, I've had the burgers in the MDR. They were pretty good, but I prefer Guy's when I can get them. Though to answer the OP's second question, I probably wouldn't pay for them.

I'm surprised that no one else has pointed out that Carnival also offers a sit down restaurant with waiters, food cooked to order, singing, and dancing. They also serve burgers along with other, more sophisticated items. It's also free.

Yes, because I'm a peasant with simple tastes, I've had the burgers in the MDR. They were pretty good, but I prefer Guy's when I can get them. Though to answer the OP's second question, I probably wouldn't pay for them.

Burgers in the MDR? Can't recall ever having one or seeing that as an option unless it's from the kid's menu.

I am one who doesn't like Guys. I don't like "crispy" outsides to the burger and the two times I tried them, they were crispy. I thought that the first time they had been sitting a while, but the second time, they were right off the grill. I didn't eat more than one bite out of either, so no way would i ever pay for them.

I don't think that JR is all that great, but I love the onion rings and the hot fudge sundae. I know they have other sandwiches and I might have to try them on my next Allure cruise.

And that crispy outside is what I think makes Guy's so good.

We've tried to try JR a couple of times when they were only a $5 upcharge but they are not wheelchair accessible so it's been a no-go for us. Now that they are $6.95 upcharge, it's not even a consideration for us.

I think the way Guy's is set up would kind of preclude them from charging - though I guess they've found a way with the Seafood shack.

Burgers in the MDR? Can't recall ever having one or seeing that as an option unless it's from the kid's menu.

The old menus with the comfort foods that people got so up in a roar about, did include a burger.

I know in 2011 on the Miracle, those menus had a burger on the "everyday" part. One night I had one too many Tiramisu Martini's and then went to dinner - let me tell you, that burger was good and really hit the spot.

The old menus with the comfort foods that people got so up in a roar about, did include a burger.

I know in 2011 on the Miracle, those menus had a burger on the "everyday" part. One night I had one too many Tiramisu Martini's and then went to dinner - let me tell you, that burger was good and really hit the spot.

It looked good

Sent from my iPhone

I just don't remember it but I believe you.

They did have them, but it looks like they've changed the menus. Who says they don't change those things? :)

Anyway, this is a link to an older MDR dinner menu from Zydecocruiser that had the burger (look for the "gourmet burger"): http://www.zydecocruiser.net/CarnivalConquest2012/menus/mdr_dinner.html

And this is a link to what is apparently a newer MDR dinner menu from the same place: http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/7dy_mdr_dinner.html

I checked and they're not on the American Table menus.

They are, of course, still on the kids' menu (along with cheeseburgers).

You didn't make the point you were attempting to make...

Someone mentioned planning a cruise around Guy's ..... We have good cruise friends that invited us to join them on a 14 Alaska from L.A. on the Miracle.

There were lots of things going into our decision not to do it, but DW said she would have given it more serious consideration, if the Miracle had Guy's and Blue Iguana -- which it does not :(

Someone mentioned planning a cruise around Guy's ..... We have good cruise friends that invited us to join them on a 14 Alaska from L.A. on the Miracle.

There were lots of things going into our decision not to do it, but DW said she would have given it more serious consideration, if the Miracle had Guy's and Blue Iguana -- which it does not :(

After enjoying quite a few Blue Iguana breakfast burritos... I can see this factoring into a decision. :D

There's always one... :rolleyes:

lol but at least he's consistent. Never lets a Guy's thread slip by without hating on the grease bomb.

That's the part I like about some of my favorite burgers so I'm looking forward to it in Dec.

But everybody gets to like what they like and not like what they don't like, even Riclop. :)