Men....ideas for comfortable clothes for loooonnggg overseas flight

buggins0402

I'm of the other gender, so I have a good idea of what I'll wear. But, I couldn't imagine trying to spend 14 hours (and that's just one flight) in a pair of chinos, which would be DH's first choice.

Any ideas from the male audience on what they find comfortable for long flights, so I can prod DH to think outside his usual box?

Tshirt, Sweatshiirt over it, you can take it off, bluejeans, good pair of Asics, Nikes etc running shoes. A pair of wool socks, slip off the shoes wear the sox aboard and your feet are warm. Even a pair of slippers are OK. Have flown a billion or so miles, my wife and I are pilots, I'm an A&P Mech. Our commutes were DC to LA and then hers was DC to Vienna. If hes not comfortable with bluejeans how about cargo pants.

I'm of the other gender, so I have a good idea of what I'll wear. But, I couldn't imagine trying to spend 14 hours (and that's just one flight) in a pair of chinos, which would be DH's first choice.

Any ideas from the male audience on what they find comfortable for long flights, so I can prod DH to think outside his usual box?

Why would you assume that he wouldn't be comfortable in a pair of chinos?

It must be a DW thing because after 14 yrs of marriage she still questions if I'm really comfortable in slacks and a dress shirt after a 12hr day.

Reality is, very few men would wear something that isn't comfortable just because it looks good.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

DH spent his whole career flying, and his first choice would be a flight suit. But since that's unlikely an option for your husband, DH says chinos are his preferred, over jeans, which he says he finds too heavy and constricting on long flights. He usually wears a black or dark blue pair with a short sleeved shirt and a sweater or sweatshirt. He usually wears his heaviest shoes on the plane, packing his lighter ones. He does not remove them during the flight, since he finds his feet tend to swell.

I often opt to fly wearing similar clothes. I only wear jeans if either our departure or arrival locations are particularly cold.

Lightweight chinos are a lot more comfortable than jeans - especially loose cut. Fairly loose boat shoes over fairly thick woolen socks - you want to keep feet warm and have easy-to-put-on shoes because feet and ankles swell on long flights. A soft cotton shirt with an easy to remove heavy shirt for warmth.

If it's an overnight flight, a shot of Drambuie helps sleep - and plenty of water to fend off dehydration.

Lightweight chinos are a lot more comfortable than jeans - especially loose cut. Fairly loose boat shoes over fairly thick woolen socks - you want to keep feet warm and have easy-to-put-on shoes because feet and ankles swell on long flights. A soft cotton shirt with an easy to remove heavy shirt for warmth.

If it's an overnight flight, a shot of Drambuie helps sleep - and plenty of water to fend off dehydration.

Two shots of Drambuie and your DH would be comfy in a straitjacket and his jeans from 20 pounds ago.;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

You're right, I'm all wrong. How could i have been so WRONG!:eek: Having flown more miles than probably the lot of you I wouldn't have any idea about comfort.:rolleyes: Thanks DirtyDawg

If you can't have the pyjamas in first class go for a track suit. Most of our flights involve about 24 hours travel including connection times. I ditch looking good, getting very hard these days, for comfort. Generally go straight to hotel from airport so Ok. Be careful with shoes. If I take my sneakers off I find it difficult to put them back on with swollen feet.

First question - coach, business or first? Reason being is what position your body will be in for any sleeping. Especially important is if in business or first that you do NOT have things in your pockets when your seat turns into a bed. Next is if this is an Asian carrier (or trans-Pac) flight, as they tend to keep the aircraft much warmer on those flights. (Recent flight to Tokyo on ANA had the cabin temp set at 75 degrees!).

So, if in biz/first, go for something you can stretch out in. Unless your jeans are well worn and quite soft go for a running suit or microfleece or something on that order. You can change once airborne and get a good night's sleep. Have a small bag handy to put your "pocket stuff" so things don't fall out and into the seat.

If in coach, you have two main constraints - a seated sleeping position and folks next to you. Here, stuff falling out of pants pockets is less of an issue, but soft and roomy pants now become more important. You do not want anything that will bind and pinch and squeeze you from the waist down. It will be hard enough to be comfortable without having your clothes work against you. And although a soft top will be comfortable for the flight, I highly recommend flying in a fishing shirt or something on that order for one reason - pockets!! You can now put your phone, ipod, earbuds, pen, money and more in your shirt pockets and not have to worry about getting to your pants pockets - which is difficult when you have an 18" seat and folks on both armrests. And you have a place to put them when dozing, eating or using your hands otherwise. Please take a pen - you will need to fill out immigration forms, so having one handy is important.

Finally, footwear. Two choices - on or off during flight. If off, be sure that your shoes can be easily put on when your feet swell (which happens to most to some extent). And easily done when seated next to two people. If on, make them something that are comfortable for the long haul. Don't walk around in your socks - you can't believe how dirty the floors and bathrooms can get, so you don't want those socks going back into your shoes. And keep your shoes on until you reach altitude - you want them on in case of an emergency (and takeoff/landing is the critical time of flight).

Another vote here for a track suit or in my case pants only.

I've been wearing gray track pants that at a glance looks like grey slacks with a black or grey pocket t-shirt. Recently got a Scottevest to hold my stuff (and theirs) :rolleyes: For shoes "breathable" slip-ons or enclosed toe sandals from Sketchers.

Another vote here for a track suit or in my case pants only.

I've been wearing gray track pants that at a glance looks like grey slacks with a black or grey pocket t-shirt. Recently got a Scottevest to hold my stuff (and theirs) :rolleyes: For shoes "breathable" slip-ons or enclosed toe sandals from Sketchers.

Do you have a link for those comfortable-but-reasonably-good-looking slacks/pants?

Thanks!

Do you have a link for those comfortable-but-reasonably-good-looking slacks/pants?

Thanks!

http://www.champion.com/shop/champion/mens-workout/bottoms/workout-pants#facet:&productBeginIndex:0&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:20&

Try the solid color and open bottom ones. I also have a pair with an elastic bottom, but the pants are long on me so they look like regular pants.

Got mine at Costco :)

http://www.champion.com/shop/champion/mens-workout/bottoms/workout-pants#facet:&productBeginIndex:0&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:20&

Try the solid color and open bottom ones. I also have a pair with an elastic bottom, but the pants are long on me so they look like regular pants.

Gotta second those. I also got a bunch at Costco - they are great for sleeping onboard, plus you can use them for lounging onboard ship once you arrive.

I usually travel:

Cargo/combat trousers - The ex squaddie in me still finds them really comfy and they have loads of pockets to keep phone, tickets and other items to quickly get out at security.

T-shirt

Hoodie (It can get cold on a flight - So my DW2b usually steals it to keep warm)

Walking boots (heaviest item I usually take on a flight and so to save space I wear them)

Baseball cap - No I am not a teenager but handy to be able to slip down over your face to get some sleep.

Tactical 5.11 rucksack - loads of handy storage areas to be able to find or move stuff into during flight, built like a tank and comfy if you carry it for long periods. Again the ex squaddie would never travel without it.

As an Australian living in the US I feel I can comment well on this. I have lots of light weight slacks so those are comfy on a flight, jeans are a bit constrictive. On top I have lots of sports polls from years of working in football (soccer) so I wear one of those. Definitely pack a jacket/hoodie/sweater in the carry on. I learned that the hard way, flew from Sydney where it was 40 C to San Antonio where it was -2 C and had to get my checked. Feet, comfortable shoes, that's probably as uncomfortable as clothing gets for men (insert my feminist rant here) so that's crucial.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your husband is on the right track to begin with. Chinos are perfect. The key to comfort is the shoes. Slip ons are best, just because they are easy to slip off and on, other than that don't over think it. Men are used to wearing chinos for hours on end and they are very comfortable.

Just make sure he takes a sweatshirt for use on the plane, and plenty of electronics and batteries.

He will be fine.

Chinos, short sleeve shirt, light sweater, jacket, socks, and loose fitting boat shoes. We fly economy. Last three winters have been S/E Asia, this year South America so the flights are very long. We only take carry on so we go with layers.

We also bought one of the inflatable neck pillows. They are covered with a very soft material. These flights have been economy.

Gotta second those. I also got a bunch at Costco - they are great for sleeping onboard, plus you can use them for lounging onboard ship once you arrive.

Thanks very much.

Do you have a particular style number?

There are several shown on the page (knit, fleece, etc.)

If the knit, are they very thin?

If the fleece, are they very heavy? :confused:

Sounding like Goldilocks now, I fear...!

Maybe we should try one of each (or a different style if that's what you recommend). Worst case, these look very comfy for "at home".

Thanks again.

Thanks very much.

Do you have a particular style number?

There are several shown on the page (knit, fleece, etc.)

If the knit, are they very thin?

If the fleece, are they very heavy? :confused:

Sounding like Goldilocks now, I fear...!

Maybe we should try one of each (or a different style if that's what you recommend). Worst case, these look very comfy for "at home".

Thanks again.

Since I buy from Costco the inventory varies. My local Costco is selling Adidas and their house brand right now.

Mine are single layer, I think fleece is too hot for an airplane, but then that depends on your personal preference. Also when I'm flying it's from 60 degrees to 80-90 degree sub-tropical weather :o

These pants are just the hi-tech version of the old grey sweat pants, they're in the "active wear" section of dept stores. I work from home and wear them regularly ;)

While they might be comfortable, I'm not one to wear sweat pants out in public. I like stretchy jeans for long flights, like the Salvage ones at Buckle.

https://www.buckle.com/salvage-mayhem-boot-jean/prd-59411MB219TBC

/sku-1192693634

Tee-shirt and a button up, long sleeved shirt. Who knows what temperature the plan will be? Sometimes hot, so you can take the shirt off and just wear the tee. Or roll up the sleeves. Sometimes its freezing, like two weeks ago on United from Brussels to Chicago. I ended up putting on my coat, the same one I use for snow skiing, for the entire trip, zipped up part of the way.

Taking off your shoes is nice, but planes are so filthy I hesitate to do this anymore.

We always fly economy coach. My hubby wears gym sweats on overseas flights with a comfortable long-sleeve collared shirt whose flapover button pockets have room for his wallet, phone, and other 'stuff' so he has nothing in his pants pockets. He wears his most comfortable walking shoes and leaves them on.

Edited by NMLady

You want the "knit" ones. The ones from Costco don't exactly line up with other ones currently offered - the Costco ones are polyester with a bit of spandex. I would go with poly and open leg bottoms. Like Philob, I wear them around the house a lot - comfy and not hot like sweats or heavy fleece.