Age demographics

omc329

They were playing elevator music in the Explorer's Lounge, the Wheelhouse, Crooners and everywhere else? I guess I don't think of live musicians as "elevator music." Maybe your son should just load his ipod with music he likes and spend the cruise with his ear buds in. :)

We still laugh and make jokes about the Bruce Gordon Trio on our Princess cruise back in 2006. Although I hadn't thought about applying the term elevator music to them, it almost fits. They had lyrics, so not quite elevator music.

We went to see them early in the cruise and they were mainly playing music from the 40s and all extremely sedate which didn't work for us, so we left. Later in the cruise, the Patter advertised a ballroom dance night. We went. It was the Bruce Gordon Trio again. I had done ballroom dance in college and was really excited. Every song sounded exactly the same. If the words hadn't been different, no one would have known it was a different song. They would announce what type of dance it was for and it was a good thing, because the beat was never strong enough to tell what kind of dance you should be doing.

The piano players and other live groups on our cruise were equally uninteresting to us. We were on a port intensive Alaska cruise, so we didn't want to stay up late enough for the disco parties which didn't usually start until 10pm or later. If I had been already doing something at 10pm, I would likely stay out later, but I wasn't looking for something new to start doing at 10pm. I may feel different on our Panama Canal cruise since there will be so many sea days.

I know where the OP is coming from and hope that our Island Princess Panama cruise in February does not match her experience. Our previous 8 or so cruises were on NCL, but we haven't been thrilled with the changes either. I love listening to their acoustical guitar players and some of their piano players in the evenings. The live music on Princess did nothing for us, but we were hoping it was just a one time thing.

omc329 - I hope you do a review or share pictures somewhere in a separate thread. I love hearing about other similar cruises while I'm waiting for mine.

Like shredie, I am confused. We still have not been told what venues were playing "elevator music" and at what hour. When the Beatles were big, Mitch Miller's Orchestra was elevator music. When Nirvana was big, the Beatles were elevator music. When Maroon 5 is big, Nirvana is elevator music. I have never been to Skywalker's after 10:30 when dance music wasn't played. Sure, it might be Kool and the Gang or the Weather Girls. But it is upbeat and the dance floor is well used. My advice to the OP would be to book a cruise on a Grand Class ship and check out Skywalker's. I find that venue to be integral to my overall enjoyment and one of the reasons why I don't favor the ships that lack that venue. I will always lean toward the ship's that have an IC, Skywalker's, Explorer's Lounge and Club Fusion. Those venues supply the perfect mix of entertainment and music that I enjoy.

Edited by JimmyVWine

So true!!! Post of the Day!!!!

Music from the 60's 70's and 80's is my music. I will be 55 later this month. Don't want to listen to old time music. I am in the middle of the demographics that Princess seeks. Cater to us every night in some venues please!

YES! I'm 54 :)

Okay, I'm catching on, I think. OP does not mean literally that "elevator music" was playing in all the venues but is using that for a metaphor.

And it only took you until post #50. Yes, it was metaphorical not literal. That's how the term "elevator music" is used, at least in the USA. In case you are from somewhere else.

OP means that any music he/she doesn't like is automatically "elevator music." I think.

No, OP means sleep-inducing music. Again, see meaning of "elevator music" in it's colloquial sense.

Like shredie, I am confused. We still have not been told what venues were playing "elevator music" and at what hour. When the Beatles were big, Mitch Miller's Orchestra was elevator music. When Nirvana was big, the Beatles were elevator music. When Maroon 5 is big, Nirvana is elevator music. I have never been to Skywalker's after 10:30 when dance music wasn't played. Sure, it might be Kool and the Gang or the Weather Girls. But it is upbeat and the dance floor is well used. My advice to the OP would be to book a cruise on a Grand Class ship and check out Skywalker's. I find that venue to be integral to my overall enjoyment and one of the reasons why I don't favor the ships that lack that venue. I will always lean toward the ship's that have an IC, Skywalker's, Explorer's Lounge and Club Fusion. Those venues supply the perfect mix of entertainment and music that I enjoy.

Thanks for the recommendation to us young age 50-55 whippersnappers! I'm looking forward to trying one of those ships, soon. Meanwhile, I'm hanging on to the idea that more experienced Princess cruisers have given me that our 10-day Coral partial transit will be more diverse in crowd and entertainment due to it being a New Year cruise... likely to be one of the more lively trips on this known-to-be-extremely-quiet ship/itinerary.

No, OP means sleep-inducing music. Again, see meaning of "elevator music" in it's colloquial sense.

So anything with a slow tempo is "elevator music"? Don't people slow dance anymore? Maybe they have to do it in the elevator.

Edited by shredie

I am in my 50s and DH is over 60. We find the music on Princess to be very dreary. The most current song (and uptempo) I heard on our last cruise was Billy Joel's I May Be Crazy. Most of the music was from much earlier periods. Not only that, but but the selections made from these eras are almost always slow tempo. Slow tempo is easier for the musician, but so dreary. And often the lyrics are depressing.

For example, I have never been on a Princess cruise where Frank Sinatra's My Way has not been played. On our last cruise we heard it twice on the same evening! Do older people really enjoy contemplating the final curtain?

I wonder if Princess provides the entertainers with a list of acceptable music. On a New Year's cruise they played Brown Eyed Girl just before the balloon drop. I watched a YouTube from a few years earlier and the same song was played right before ballon drop. It may be that the entertainers are not allowed to deviate from the script, regardless of the onboard demographic. But, the script should be periodically updated, I would think.

Don't get me started on the other songs we "enjoyed," such as Mr BoJangles and Mac the Knife.

We don't cruise Princess for the entertainment, that's for sure.

I have never been on a Princess cruise where Frank Sinatra's My Way has not been played. On our last cruise we heard it twice on the same evening! Do older people really enjoy contemplating the final curtain?

I wonder if Princess provides the entertainers with a list of acceptable music. On a New Year's cruise they played Brown Eyed Girl just before the balloon drop. I watched a YouTube from a few years earlier and the same song was played right before ballon drop. It may be that the entertainers are not allowed to deviate from the script, regardless of the onboard demographic. But, the script should be periodically updated, I would think.

Don't take a British Isles cruise with Princess then. You will hear "Danny Boy" over and over and over and over and over and ..............

Every guest entertainer feels the need to include that song.

We just got back from a Coral Panama cruise. Fantastic cruise, but I have a question about future bookings with Princess.

I understand the Panama to be an older crowd, but we spent half the cruise trying to get them out of elevator music and up to the half century mark on music options. Eventually, half way through the cruise, we succeeded with some livlier 50's and 60's in the evenings. My 30 son that travels with us, FINALLY, after many complaints, got dancing music after 11PM by a dj. I understand from staff the place shut down past closing as requests continued coming in until 3AM one night. We weren't the only ones looking for a more active dance venue on the ship.

That said, the question is about future bookings. I REALLY liked Princess, except that it is very important that my son have a good time. We ALL really like the 10 days, and are sold on the idea of the longer cruise. I'm very concerned that could mean lots more 'silver' and more fighting for decent dance opportunities from me and my son.

I was thinking maybe West coast cruises 'might' have a livelier bunch than cruises out of FL???? Is there any hope for us, or is Princess just not the line for us? Outside of this one issue, we all really LOVED the cruise. Thoughts?

Well, the Panama Canal cruise does attract a much older crowd on average. I went on a Panama canal and I was 29 and most passengers were 60+ and coupled. The longer the cruise and destination specific will attract an older crowd who in general are early to rise; early to bed. Unfortunately for your son you will have to stick to either 7-day Caribbean or Mexico cruises on Princess. At least those cruises tend to get a tad more diverse crowd. If you son wants a packed disco with current music with people more his own age you'll have to look at RCI, NCL or Carnival. Those lines cater to a younger and/or party crowd. Younger folks simply don't have the money or time for longer cruises and are looking for sun/pool/drinking, etc.

I was just checking back. Wow. A lot of thoughts and opinions. I gave ds a general rundown, and he isn't thrilled with the idea of giving Princess a second chance. He's also giving up on the 10 day type cruise for now. I think dh and I will be back to Princess in the future, after we retire, to give them a second chance. For now, I guess we keep dancing around different lines until we settle in somewhere.

As for elevator music, what I meant is pretty close to that. Anytime they passed the half century mark, it was still waltz level on beat. I saw one band playing to a COMPLETELY empty house at one point. The music was at a crawl.

The late night dj was taking requests several nights, one of those the night that ended up running so late due to the number of requests. For the record, ds is not a night owl, it was just the only time they would bring the music up in beat and decade.

They DID listen eventually, it just took half the cruise to get them there. When even my sis, who loves dancing to Latin music, was complaining about dragging the beat, it was definitely on the slow side.

At any rate, I may be back without ds in the future, but our next cruise will not be Princess. *shrug* Thanks for the feedback.

So anything with a slow tempo is "elevator music"? Don't people slow dance anymore? Maybe they have to do it in the elevator.

It is not just that it is slow, or that it is older. It is that every song sounds just the same. I love music from all ages and most styles (fast and slow), but elevator style music always puts be to sleep.

Another term that comes to mind is Muzak. :rolleyes:

I was just checking back. Wow. A lot of thoughts and opinions. I gave ds a general rundown, and he isn't thrilled with the idea of giving Princess a second chance. He's also giving up on the 10 day type cruise for now. I think dh and I will be back to Princess in the future, after we retire, to give them a second chance. For now, I guess we keep dancing around different lines until we settle in somewhere.

As for elevator music, what I meant is pretty close to that. Anytime they passed the half century mark, it was still waltz level on beat. I saw one band playing to a COMPLETELY empty house at one point. The music was at a crawl.

The late night dj was taking requests several nights, one of those the night that ended up running so late due to the number of requests. For the record, ds is not a night owl, it was just the only time they would bring the music up in beat and decade.

They DID listen eventually, it just took half the cruise to get them there. When even my sis, who loves dancing to Latin music, was complaining about dragging the beat, it was definitely on the slow side.

At any rate, I may be back without ds in the future, but our next cruise will not be Princess. *shrug* Thanks for the feedback.

You may find Royal Caribbean to be to your liking. It is a little more pricy than most NCL, but on par or maybe a little less expensive than Princess for most itinerary.

We sailed them twice before switching to the more relaxed NCL and enjoyed both cruises They are typically kind of a half-way point between NCL and Princess. If you look at the older ships, the prices are generally much better.

It is not just that it is slow, or that it is older. It is that every song sounds just the same. I love music from all ages and most styles (fast and slow), but elevator style music always puts be to sleep.

Another term that comes to mind is Muzak. :rolleyes:

Well, I would agree with you, but OP says that's not what he/she is talking about. I'm still confused.

And now I'm discouraged again. *sigh*

Carnival - Too much of a party, not enough quality service

NCL - Used to be our favorite line. Quality down, nickel and dime factor up. Del Rio stinks!!!!

RCL - Haven't tried yet, but they seem awfully expensive for the same types of cruises. I'm toying with the idea, but not really excited with the idea.

Princess- Loved them if it weren't so old feeling......I was hoping it was just the Panama.....

Holland America - I won't even consider trying, I already know that it is the really old crowd.

It doesn't help that we would all like a 10 day cruise either. Ds has enough vacation time now that he can do them, and he REALLY liked the longer cruise. Between decompressing from work and gearing up to go back, 7 days just doesn't quite cut it anymore.

I feel lost. Surely there are cruise lines that have quality and still want a younger demographic. I had hoped Princess was that line.

Long-time Celebrity cruisers have been complaining about the music on Celebrity for years. They think it's rap, but apparently it's "house music." I'm not sure that we would like too much if that either, but after so much depressing Frank Sinatra on Princess, I'm willing to give it a try. I wish a nice mix of music would be provided on both Princess and Celebrity.

And now I'm discouraged again. *sigh*

Carnival - Too much of a party, not enough quality service

NCL - Used to be our favorite line. Quality down, nickel and dime factor up. Del Rio stinks!!!!

RCL - Haven't tried yet, but they seem awfully expensive for the same types of cruises. I'm toying with the idea, but not really excited with the idea.

Princess- Loved them if it weren't so old feeling......I was hoping it was just the Panama.....

Holland America - I won't even consider trying, I already know that it is the really old crowd.

It doesn't help that we would all like a 10 day cruise either. Ds has enough vacation time now that he can do them, and he REALLY liked the longer cruise. Between decompressing from work and gearing up to go back, 7 days just doesn't quite cut it anymore.

I feel lost. Surely there are cruise lines that have quality and still want a younger demographic. I had hoped Princess was that line.

You're struggling with the same issue that my wife and I have -

We love Princess but have been very disappointed on the warm weather itineraries as we would like more current music and activities.

We know a band here in Las Vegas who has worked on cruise ships in the past. When on Carnival they can play whatever they like, but Princess controls the playlist with an iron fist, demanding they only play 50's 60's and some Very mellow newer music.

Going forward we've decided on all-inclusives for our warm weather trips and Princess for Europe, Alaska, New England, etc. Were we can appreciate the older clientele's great stories and Crooner's wonderful piano players.

Carnival just isn't our crowd with basketball jerseys worn in the dining room and hip hop / rap played all over the ship.

Too many kids on Royal along with the ships turning into amusement parks.

Don't like the nickel and diming of Norwegian

So not a lot to choose from on the water at this point....

Long-time Celebrity cruisers have been complaining about the music on Celebrity for years. They think it's rap, but apparently it's "house music." I'm not sure that we would like too much if that either, but after so much depressing Frank Sinatra on Princess, I'm willing to give it a try. I wish a nice mix of music would be provided on both Princess and Celebrity.

Don't get your hopes up. The one bar on Celebrity that plays anything other than lounge music the same as Princess is the Martini Bar, and it's a lopped track of songs. Stay there for more than an hour or so (and let's face it

OMG, you assume because someone requested music less than 50-60 years old, in a dance club, that they wanted hip-hop and rap? Really?

I think it was clear to the rest of us that they just wanted something more recent than Chattanooga Choo-Choo.

I don't remember (not that old) but I think the Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B is more recent then the Chattanooga Choo-Choo.:rolleyes:

You're struggling with the same issue that my wife and I have -

We love Princess but have been very disappointed on the warm weather itineraries as we would like more current music and activities.

So not a lot to choose from on the water at this point....

Scott, give Celebrity a shot, I think you might like them.

I don't remember (not that old) but I think the Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B is more recent then the Chattanooga Choo-Choo.:rolleyes:

And now that you mention it, I don't think either of those was a slow tempo song (which may or may not be the definition of "elevator music" but I have given up trying to understand the distinction.)

I am in my 30s, was just in the Coral for a 10-day Panama Canal cruise and we had current music all over the ship at various times throughout the day. There definitely was an older crowd, but also plenty of people my age. I find Princess has a good balance related to ages, activities and food, there is a variety but you have to open your eyes a bit. Here is a video clip of the steel drum player, playing a song that is relatively current from that trip and wasn't elevator music. https://vimeo.com/190412947