Age demographics

omc329

We just got back from a Coral Panama cruise. Fantastic cruise, but I have a question about future bookings with Princess.

I understand the Panama to be an older crowd, but we spent half the cruise trying to get them out of elevator music and up to the half century mark on music options. Eventually, half way through the cruise, we succeeded with some livlier 50's and 60's in the evenings. My 30 son that travels with us, FINALLY, after many complaints, got dancing music after 11PM by a dj. I understand from staff the place shut down past closing as requests continued coming in until 3AM one night. We weren't the only ones looking for a more active dance venue on the ship.

That said, the question is about future bookings. I REALLY liked Princess, except that it is very important that my son have a good time. We ALL really like the 10 days, and are sold on the idea of the longer cruise. I'm very concerned that could mean lots more 'silver' and more fighting for decent dance opportunities from me and my son.

I was thinking maybe West coast cruises 'might' have a livelier bunch than cruises out of FL???? Is there any hope for us, or is Princess just not the line for us? Outside of this one issue, we all really LOVED the cruise. Thoughts?

My daughters are 30 and 32. They love Princess. We go to Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Hawaii. They enjoy skywalkers. We just got back from the island princess Panama Canal cruise and it was a quieter crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although Princess will on average have an older demographic than NCL or Carnival (for instance), I think your particular itinerary tends to attract a more mature customer. I certainly don't think all cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale fit into this pattern. To the contrary, Caribbean cruises often attract more families and younger folks, especially during holidays and school breaks.

I'm confused. Who changed the music? Did you talk to the cruise director about changing all the music on the ship? Are you talking about one specific venue? If you are looking for hip hop and rap, I'm afraid Princess is not your line.

I'm confused. Who changed the music? Did you talk to the cruise director about changing all the music on the ship? Are you talking about one specific venue? If you are looking for hip hop and rap, I'm afraid Princess is not your line.

Wanting something more modern than 40's to 60's does not necessarily indicate hip hop and rap, neither of which I care for as a 'general' rule. Nor does asking for more modern pop style music in ONE venue seem to be an unreasonable request. My folks, (who have passed on), would have LOVED the music! It was not ONLY us complaining. The first few days, everything was elevator music. Even Latin music that my sis normally enjoys dancing to, (10 years older than myself), dragged according to her.

Yes, I talked to the cd on the first sea day. I thought it was fixed when the 'wild bunch party' was packed with folks. Then it dropped back down to elevator music. It was a constant struggle the first half of the cruise. I'm not that young!! And poor 30 son....

Yes, we want lively! Not hip hop, not rap, but into something more recent than the 50's and 60's. They did have a disco party, but I left thoroughly disappointed with how it was held. I'm used to dancing all through a cruise, day and evening, (NOT late night). It was a struggle the first half of this one.

And yes, I would like to see a younger demographic for ds. The under 40 set was thin on this cruise. I'm not looking to take over a cruise and cause a panic in the silver set, I just want to know if all Princess cruises are this bad, both on demographic and music.

It sounds as if there might be hope, based on the other posts, though we are NOT looking for the spring break crowd. I love my son, but not enough to endure that! *L*

My wife and I both sailed Princess when we first got married, pre-kids. During those experiences, we enjoyed a laid back, low key relaxing cruise. However, they will not be on our list at least until 20 years from now. And if our kids want to take their kids with them, they will never be on our radar again.

Different type of experience...I put Princess and Holland in the same box...right or wrong. Plus both of their websites suck for booking and that alone takes some big points off in my opinion. Want to cater to younger crowds? Get your technology fixed first.

And now I'm discouraged again. *sigh*

Carnival - Too much of a party, not enough quality service

NCL - Used to be our favorite line. Quality down, nickel and dime factor up. Del Rio stinks!!!!

RCL - Haven't tried yet, but they seem awfully expensive for the same types of cruises. I'm toying with the idea, but not really excited with the idea.

Princess- Loved them if it weren't so old feeling......I was hoping it was just the Panama.....

Holland America - I won't even consider trying, I already know that it is the really old crowd.

It doesn't help that we would all like a 10 day cruise either. Ds has enough vacation time now that he can do them, and he REALLY liked the longer cruise. Between decompressing from work and gearing up to go back, 7 days just doesn't quite cut it anymore.

I feel lost. Surely there are cruise lines that have quality and still want a younger demographic. I had hoped Princess was that line.

Our last three cruises were two week ones on Princess, but during the holidays (when we could go). so definitely livelier. especially on New Years eve...I don't think many passengers would pay the higher rates on this cruise unless they wanted the celebration. we saw all ages in the grand atrium at midnight on NYE.

as for a younger crowd, I would think late October wouldn't necessarily attract them.

as for music, maybe there were many on previous cruises who complain about the music. Unfortunately many (including CDs) equate loud music (volume wise) with the desirable genres.

NCL - Used to be our favorite line. Quality down, nickel and dime factor up. Del Rio stinks!!!!

RCL - Haven't tried yet, but they seem awfully expensive for the same types of cruises. I'm toying with the idea, but not really excited with the idea.

Princess- Loved them if it weren't so old feeling......I was hoping it was just the Panama.....

Holland America - I won't even consider trying, I already know that it is the really old crowd.

It doesn't help that we would all like a 10 day cruise either. Ds has enough vacation time now that he can do them, and he REALLY liked the longer cruise. Between decompressing from work and gearing up to go back, 7 days just doesn't quite cut it anymore.

I feel lost. Surely there are cruise lines that have quality and still want a younger demographic. I had hoped Princess was that line.

Princess now has an older demographic than HAL. We've had a mixed bag on Celebrity. Partied our butts off in the med but Hawaii was quite quiet. A 7 day you'll find a lot more lively on most lines

They were playing elevator music in the Explorer's Lounge, the Wheelhouse, Crooners and everywhere else? I guess I don't think of live musicians as "elevator music." Maybe your son should just load his ipod with music he likes and spend the cruise with his ear buds in. :)

I suspect that as a mid-fifties (eek!), late-forties couple we probably fit into the supposed age demographic - whatever that is meant to mean. While I suspect the Princess crowd probably aren't the coolest bunch of hipsters (myself obviously excluded :D), age does seem to be dependent on both the length and time of cruise - for instance our Christmas Mexican Riviera cruises tend to attract a wide age range - the out of school holidays Baltic Cruise less so...

However musical and entertainment tastes are state of mind and have nothing to do with age - you've either got taste or you like listening to cheesy FM radio stations and the piano player in the crooners bar (actually that's a really thankless task, churning out standard after standard to a crowd of mainly disinterested drinkers). Then again, for an ageing gracelessly punk-rocker, I have to say the sting-quartet was awesome :cool:

I don't really understand your comments. When we hear 50's & 60's music on a ship we think of that as old music. You really don't hear too much of it on Princess unless there is a theme party. But, there are some groups that 50's 60's music is their thing. You never know what groups will be on board.

Most Princess ships have live musicians in various lounges and places. There is normally:

A party band playing lively contemporary music usually from the the 70's up to the current date.

A soft combo that plays ballroom dance music.

A classical group.

A piano entertainer in Crooner's that may play anything from show tunes to songs from 2016. Certain entertainers have their stuff.

Big Band Sounds and Jazz from the Princess Orchestra

In the tropics there is usually an island music group or pan player.

They also have DJ's.

There are also parties with line dancing.

If you are looking for rap, or hip hop dance music, I have never seen that on a Princess cruise.

The age demographic on Princess for the Caribbean probably averages in the 50 to 60 range.

Let me mention this first I Love to Dance, my DH does not so, I go where the music is on the ship when he goes to the gym. We have 3 twenty something sons still all single but none are interested in cruising with us any longer.:(

But when they did it was always on RCI, 7 or less day trips, however, one time I convinced 2 of them to travel with me on Xpedition to the Galapagos.

OP, have you cruised, Royal Caribbean and the big ships? That's where the fun is on the Caribbean....for singles.

We were just on Oasis in September and I for once on a Cruise ship felt old.;) However half of our 5700 pax were new to cruising and there were only 200 small people(children). But the vibe on board was great and everyone mixed in so well.

10 days ago we cruised with Princess, a Mexican Riviera(WC as you mentioned) 5 weddings took place on the ship all the 20-30 somethings

grouped together....however that didn't stop them from dancing it up with me who, they viewed, I 'm sure, as their mother.

There was plenty of contemporary music and the Mariachis were excellent.

However, this cruise was the exception to most we have taken with Princess as once again many of the cruisers were first timers.

I have seen mostly young couples on Princess very few singles, and we have done a lot of "just for fun" 7 day cruises on Princess in recent years.

OP regarding your question about age...as others have mentioned it really does depend on the ship make up, time of year and cost of the cruise.

It's a crap shoot....

Before you book a cruise, see if there is a Roll call, get a feel for the future pax you will be cruising with.

If you r cruising for your son and for fun I would recommend one of the Mega ships and you'll have to give up your 10 day or more cruises. If you r cruising for destination...then don't expect bells and whistles....on any cruise line you select as one these cruises people are using the ship as transportation not a destination.

Edited by land lover

Different lines have different target demographics.

Different itineraries attract different demographics.

If you don't like one line choose another.

The longer the cruise the older the ave age.

Outside school holidays = older age.

As has been said many times - the longer the cruise, rhe older the overall demographics. Put that longer itinerary outside of school holidays, and average age goes up again.

Try a 7-night sailing, you'll see a lot more folks in the under 45 category.....if you want a longer cruise, do a back-to-back of 7-nighters. The main group will tube over, younger overall and long cruise for you...

We have enjoyed Royal Caribbean when we want a more upbeat cruise. Great ships and lots of dance venues onboard them also..the larger ships in particular. Not very interesting itineraries though with the bigger ships..

That said - there's no real good excuse for why the CD and DJ were not listening to you and others about music in the club or lounges....granted, can't change the live bands, but the club can certainly play different/newer music. That should have been handled/dealt with better, IMO...

Hopefully you and your family will enjoy your next sailing, wherever it may be..

If you are looking for hip hop and rap, I'm afraid Princess is not your line.

OMG, you assume because someone requested music less than 50-60 years old, in a dance club, that they wanted hip-hop and rap? Really?

I think it was clear to the rest of us that they just wanted something more recent than Chattanooga Choo-Choo.

Edited by yuccaman

If there is a One Five tell your son to go there at night. If there is a Skywalker's tell him to go there late at night. I don't go there because I don't like the music and it is LOUD but the younger folks seem to like it a lot.

I have had the opposite issue from your son. I will be sitting in Wheelhouse or on deck or somewhere and they start up with a DJ. I always wonder who the heck the DJ is playing music for as it is almost always for a crowd maybe 20 years younger than anybody in the area.

I don't have a problem with most of the live musicians in the bars, etc. OK, some of them have been really bad. One young man on our 17 day PC transit was pretty much universally not enjoyed but mostly they are fine. It's the DJ music that drives me nuts. Can't they look around and figure out that nobody in the crowd is of the generation that will enjoy the music they are playing? They seem to think they are playing "oldies" but the music is only an "oldie" if you are in your twenties!

Yeah, huh? You're not the only one! But this time I'm buoyed by the fact that we are going on the New Year's 10-day partial, which should be more diverse, yet not out of hand, according to all reports.

I'm likewise looking forward to the longer trip, and the relaxing ambiance, but there's nothing wrong with a little pulse at night, ideally minus the booze cruise morons... Which I think we're both on the same boat about that. (No pun intended!)

Hoping the next trip would be Alaska, and will have to assume the same Princess demographic on that trip, of course, but it comes with the territory. Even CCL runs older, quieter on those trips.

I don't think he would like Carnival. We did our first two cruises on them years ago. Not his or our style. Believe it or not, although he loves to dance, he's not a drinker/partier style guy.

Yes, please, totally agree! Not everyone who wants a little night pulse is a drunkard party boy. I like how many assume, "then go to CCL"! (And even the CCL stereotype is exaggerated- yes, there are those textbook exceptions aboard- they do exist, but my age 70's parents love CCL best for the active schedules, and they hardly drink, by the way.)

So true!!! Post of the Day!!!!

Music from the 60's 70's and 80's is my music. I will be 55 later this month. Don't want to listen to old time music. I am in the middle of the demographics that Princess seeks. Cater to us every night in some venues please!

OMG, you assume because someone requested music less than 50-60 years old, in a dance club, that they wanted hip-hop and rap? Really?

I think it was clear to the rest of us that they just wanted something more recent than Chattanooga Choo-Choo.

Edited by sailinglisa

Every princess cruise is a different bag. Always plenty of music to choose from, but 7 day definitely more lively, the most lively to date has been on Regal Princess, 7-day, Caribbean, not exactly during spring break but outside by a few weeks. March 2015 pretty lively, April 2016 not nearly as lively. 10 west coast

cruises, mixed bag, but usually wind down at midnight .... Last cruise on grand they seemed to like playing 1960s music I'm more used to them playing 70s-80s during parties onboard and the more current stuff in the disco from 11:00 on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk