Puzzled by Sushi on 5 pricing

conquesodor

Even though I like sushi, I also really like Bistro on 5 and wish we weren't losing one to get the other. However, what really bothers me is how drastically different the expense is from one to the other. For one thing, there's no flat fee for whatever you'd like, instead the menu is a la carte, just like what you'd expect at a traditional restaurant. While $10 at Bistro on 5 got you a nice 3 course meal, at Sushi on 5, that $10 might get you an appetizer or a few pieces of sushi.

If you look for the thread called "LIVE!!! The Reflection Transatlantic - Oct 21st - 2016!" you can find pictures of the Sushi on 5 menu and some examples posted on page 6. The sushi looks very nice, but the prices seem almost exactly like what I'd expect to pay back home at a good sushi restaurant in the city. This seems a bit ridiculous in comparison to every other dining option on board.

I don't have an issue with the extra fee restaurants, but a la carte pricing breaks the relaxed enjoyment of cruise dining that has always been one of its perks. It's easy enough to decide whether or not to pay the upfront charge for any of the other extra fee restaurants, but then you can just relax and enjoy your meal. (Tuscan's dry aged beef perhaps the only exception?) The prices have always seemed reasonable, considering we are paying a fee in addition to what we have already paid for the cruise, and are much less than what you'd pay for a comparable experience on land. However, Sushi on 5 doesn't appear to offer any unique value at all, especially if you live somewhere that good sushi is already available.

What the heck are you thinking, Celebrity?

Anyone else agree?

If you don't go, then you wont need to worry over anything. Go to the MDR and have a relaxing meal there. No one at Celebrity is forcing us to eat there.

We have friends that have gone and rave about the quality.

And scuttle has it the dry aged meat additional cost experiment is going away too.

Edited by wallie5446

I can agree that if the pricing or selection bothers anyone they can dine at the included restaurants on-board or go to their known entity of the other Specialty Dining offerings.

If anyone can get a better sushi experience (some have already indicated that they can) on land at home, it is recommended they do that and not even think about So5.

I understand Bo5 had a diminished appeal and now X has moved on to the next experience. When So5 looses its' appeal then the next cuisine will move into that space... etc.

bon voyage and good eats wherever anyone chooses!

DW and I had dinner at Sushi on 5 last week on Infinity. We were very happy with the food. We tried the Shrimp and Scallop Dynamite hot pot (kind of like a casserole). We loved it. We tried several different sushi dishes, all were good. The sashimi was outstanding, not a hint of fishiness. And yes, just as everywhere else on the ship, any drink up to $13 was included on the premium package.

We dined at so5 on Reflection in Sept.

Yes Sake was covered on our classic drinks package, but we had to pay for the Japanese beer.

Yes it was the most expensive meal we had on the boat. 2 starters, one noodle dish, two mains and one pudding came to 70usd ( gratuity was added onto the al lacarte pricing)

It was a lovely meal... but at a premium cost. More than Murano or lawn club grill. We did it for the experience..but won't be doing it on our next x cruise.

On the Solstice in Sept they were offering everything for $25 pp in Sushi on 5.

Wish we had been so lucky! We boarded the Solstice on September 19th for the first leg of a B2B. We didn't try Sushi on 5 the first leg, but did try it several days into the October 8th cruise. Our bill, which didn't include any alcohol charges, was $39.00. We throughly enjoyed it, and will try the Sushi on 5 on the Infinity next March.

We dined at so5 on Reflection in Sept.

Yes Sake was covered on our classic drinks package, but we had to pay for the Japanese beer.

Yes it was the most expensive meal we had on the boat. 2 starters, one noodle dish, two mains and one pudding came to 70usd ( gratuity was added onto the al lacarte pricing)

It was a lovely meal... but at a premium cost. More than Murano or lawn club grill. We did it for the experience..but won't be doing it on our next x cruise.

Dinner for 2 cost you $70, or $35 per head. That is less than the fee for any of the other specialty restaurants. :confused:

I'm so glad that we can get sake there on the beverage package, as we drink a lot of sake. Do you think we can just stop in for sake and an appetizer?

I'm so glad that we can get sake there on the beverage package, as we drink a lot of sake. Do you think we can just stop in for sake and an appetizer?

Why not? It is a la carte. so you can get whatever you want. There were several sake choices under $13, a few at $17, some higher. With the premium package you would pay the difference over $13.

I like the A La Carte pricing for Sushi. I cannot imagine dropping $35 a head for AI Sushi. I would much rather slide in there for lunch one day, grab a sake with my beverage package and maybe a roll or an appetizer. It would keep me coming back throughout the cruise to try other things at my own pace without feeling like I have to try everything in one setting.

Why not offer an AI experience and a A La Carte option?

I think the name of the restaurant is ill chosen and might put some people off unnecessarily as they serve so much more than just sushi!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You might be right about the name. I've seen plenty of people comment that "they don't like sushi" elsewhere on the boards, who might not look more closely at the menu. A name that's a little less specific, with perhaps a few more non-raw dishes, would probably appeal to more people. "Mount Fuji on Five" could have worked. :)

I like the A La Carte pricing for Sushi. I cannot imagine dropping $35 a head for AI Sushi. I would much rather slide in there for lunch one day, grab a sake with my beverage package and maybe a roll or an appetizer. It would keep me coming back throughout the cruise to try other things at my own pace without feeling like I have to try everything in one setting.

Why not offer an AI experience and a A La Carte option?

You make a good point about having the ability to drop by for just a roll and a drink, which you'd be unlikely to do if it was priced the way other specialty restaurants are. I really like your suggestion for them to give us a choice - why not have two menus, one a la carte priced, and the other prix fixe?

The full menu and a few food pic's are in post 118 & 119 in this live from the Reflection thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2414356

One caveat: on the Infinity last week, the menu of non-sushi items was much smaller. I don't know which way Celebrity is going with this, but I hope it is the menu from Reflection. I saw the menu you posted several weeks ago and DW were looking forward to trying Sushi on 5. We were disappointed when we boarded and saw the different menu. We still enjoyed the one dinner we had there, but probably would have had at least another dinner and/or lunch if the menu was the one that was posted from the Reflection.

Edited by bayonnejoe

I think the name of the restaurant is ill chosen and might put some people off unnecessarily as they serve so much more than just sushi!

None of the sushi bars I've eaten in over the years served only sushi. I'd no more assume by the name that Sushi On 5 served only sushi than I would think that a steakhouse served only steaks.

None of the sushi bars I've eaten in over the years served only sushi. I'd no more assume by the name that Sushi On 5 served only sushi than I would think that a steakhouse served only steaks.

And yet I frequently read comments on here that go something like this: "Did they replace 'Bistro on 5' with 'Sushi on 5' on [insert name of ship]? They did?! Well, I'm not eating there - I don't like sushi."

Edited by conquesodor

And yet I frequently read comments on here that go something like this: "Did they replace 'Bistro on 5' with 'Sushi on 5' on [insert name of ship]? They did?! Well, I'm not eating there - I don't like sushi."

That's their loss. If they don't realize that sushi bars serve more than sushi, and don't even take the time to check out the menu, either here or aboard, their comments really hold little value.

BTW, those comments are frequently from the same posters who express their displeasure every time a new SO5 thread is started. :) I've read them all, as I loved BO5 and in the beginning I was a bit dismayed by the decision to replace it. While I think the à la carte prices are a bit stiff, as soon as I read the first menu posted on the board I became a fan and can't wait to try it. And we did get to enjoy a couple of last BO5 lunches on the Eclipse earlier this year.

Edited by Fouremco

Red Lobster! I'm not eating there, I don't like lobster! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Totally agree with this and we said the same thing when we were dining there on Reflection this week. My husband belongs on the 'I don't like sushi' camp but thought it was one of the best meals we've had on here. They have so jmuch more on offer than just sushi. And for those on the dinner package you can basically order whatever food you want and it's included - with the exception of the tables in wasabi