Mobile Passport, Pt Everglades now available.

oneputt18

Another press release about this:

http://www.floridatrend.com/article/20961/port-everglades-launches-mobile-passport-control-program

I am a little hesitant about adding even more personal info, including something as juicy (to identity thieves) as my passport number, into my phone that I am carrying all day every day everywhere. Luckily I have never lost a phone, but man, that would be a whole 'nother level of stress if that lost/stolen phone also had my passport info on it.

Maybe I'll only install the app on the iPad mini. Sure, that can get lost / stolen too, but since I'm not carrying that thing everywhere, less chance of it growing legs. On the flip side, since I always have my phone, I would notice it missing sooner than if the ipad mini went missing.

I suppose you can install / uninstall the app on whatever device as needed, to minimize the exposure.

The separate line thru customs is appealing. We have a 10:45 AM flight out of FLL in December! Harmony of the Seas, first time in a Suite, so I think we will be off in plenty of time.

Another press release about this:

http://www.floridatrend.com/article/20961/port-everglades-launches-mobile-passport-control-program

I am a little hesitant about adding even more personal info, including something as juicy (to identity thieves) as my passport number, into my phone that I am carrying all day every day everywhere. Luckily I have never lost a phone, but man, that would be a whole 'nother level of stress if that lost/stolen phone also had my passport info on it.

Maybe I'll only install the app on the iPad mini. Sure, that can get lost / stolen too, but since I'm not carrying that thing everywhere, less chance of it growing legs. On the flip side, since I always have my phone, I would notice it missing sooner than if the ipad mini went missing.

I suppose you can install / uninstall the app on whatever device as needed, to minimize the exposure.

The separate line thru customs is appealing. We have a 10:45 AM flight out of FLL in December! Harmony of the Seas, first time in a Suite, so I think we will be off in plenty of time.

Another article ignoring the fact that Canadian citizens are also eligible to use the app. :(

Unlike the passport itself, I'm not sure that getting a passport number would particularly benefit someone. Besides, with password protection on my phone and then the app's own password protection, I'm not particularly worried about someone acquiring my passport number, even if I do lose the phone. Look at the trouble that the FBI and other law enforcement agencies have had trying to get into locked phones and you'll understand why I'm not overly worried.

Edited by Fouremco

So after you bonged out did you bypass the long line to get to where customs is or did you still have to stay in that line?

Long line.

No "jumping the line" until you have collected your luggage, and that is what your long line is for. There was a very apologetic port employee explaining this to every person who asked.

Long line.

No "jumping the line" until you have collected your luggage, and that is what your long line is for. There was a very apologetic port employee explaining this to every person who asked.

Thank you for the first hand info

When I was using the app, there were two pop up choices.

Terminal 18 & Terminal 2

Royal Caribbean & Princess

Just so all are clear since your reply was to a post that asked about terminals for Global Entry. The pop up choices on the app are for terminals for Mobile Passport. A Global Entry line has been available at other terminals. I have used the Global Entry line at a Celebrity terminal at Port Everglades.

I would expect Mobile Passport to expand and also the number of passengers using Mobile Passport since it is free when passengers find out about it. At some point there might not be any advantage to Mobile Passport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Downloaded the app this morning while on the Allure of the Seas. You don't need wifi if you have data on your phone. The whole process took minutes. Set it up on my husbands iPhone and added myself to his account. Once you are set up, you just go in and put your travel info in, it asks just a few questions and it issues you a barcoded receipt good for four hours. We did self assist so we entered the terminal before 7 am and there really wasn't a long line, but there was a separate line for mobile passport and no one was in it. We just went up, scanned our receipt, handed our passports to the agent, and were on our way. The whole process took just a few minutes.

We just got off Oasis Friday and used this app. We by-passed the very long line for the separate mobile Passport line. You do have to enter all the passport info into the app the first time. We filled out info about returning from cruise and the customs form on the app. They do scan each person but I thought it was quick (they were all in my phone) Our agent did not look at our actual passports.. but a different agent did check the people before us in line... It was new for them as well so not sure they were sure how to use it. He wanted our paper customs form but I told him I answered all the questions in the app. Still, it saved us a ton of time and I would use it again.

This was in Port Canaveral?

We used mobile pass when we got back to JFK from our cruise in the med and it was so quick.

This was in Port Canaveral?

We used mobile pass when we got back to JFK from our cruise in the med and it was so quick.

The only cruise port that has Mobile Passport right now is Port Everglades.

Edited by Charles4515

We were told on the Harmony that it was only for Apple users. We have Samsung. DH has it on his phone for airports, so he checked anyway but there was no barcode, so we could not use it. Hopefully before next year when we return to FLL it will also be available to Samsung phones.

We were told on the Harmony that it was only for Apple users. We have Samsung. DH has it on his phone for airports, so he checked anyway but there was no barcode, so we could not use it. Hopefully before next year when we return to FLL it will also be available to Samsung phones.

Port Everglades just started with the program this week and is the first port to do so. You'll need to update your app, then you'll have a choice of airport or sea port. It isn't an Apple-only program.

I would guess it won't be long before it works on the Android version of the app. We get stuff first on Apple devices because iOS is not fragmented. On Android there are many manufacturers and also many phones never get updated to the latest Android versions. So updates have to be tested for a longer time for compatibility. Since they already have the app on Android it's likely only a matter of weeks, maybe even only days, before an update is available adding Port Everglades.

Edited by Charles4515

Just got off Allure yesterday and attempted to use it. It only took a few minutes to complete the app and upload the information to our profile. However, when we kept trying to enter the departure info we got error messages saying the server wasn't available. You only have a four hours window to upload departure info and clear inspection.

We ended up going old school and from my observations of people who were using it there was no advantage. Maybe there is a learning curve and it might be faster in the future. We got off ship around 9:45 AM.

While there where lines specifically marked for it they were allowing non-users to use those lines also.

We had a flyer in our cabin explaining the entire process and it was only available for Apple users.

Just got off Allure yesterday and attempted to use it. It only took a few minutes to complete the app and upload the information to our profile. However, when we kept trying to enter the departure info we got error messages saying the server wasn't available. You only have a four hours window to upload departure info and clear inspection.

We ended up going old school and from my observations of people who were using it there was no advantage. Maybe there is a learning curve and it might be faster in the future. We got off ship around 9:45 AM.

While there where lines specifically marked for it they were allowing non-users to use those lines also.

We had a flyer in our cabin explaining the entire process and it was only available for Apple users.

Android available in a few weeks.

Must download while on ship, no WIFI in terminal

Is Global Entry at all the terminals at Port Everglades or just certain ones?

Global Entry available in all terminals. MUST SHOW CARD.

As of Monday, Mobile Passport available in all terminals for all ships in Port Everglades.

Apple only, Android in 2 weeks

We had the exact same experience yesterday getting off the Allure (at about 9 am) and so did another couple we were with. Interesting, and hopefully it will improve with time. We ended up filling out the blue card.

I called Crown and Anchor today about this program. They knew nothing about it. They transferred me to customer service, who then talked with a customs supervisor is also knew nothing about the program.

How can it be that Royal's own people have no idea about a program they have been in pilot with since the middle of 2016 (according to the Port Authority web site)?

I called Crown and Anchor today about this program. They knew nothing about it. They transferred me to customer service, who then talked with a customs supervisor is also knew nothing about the program.

How can it be that Royal's own people have no idea about a program they have been in pilot with since the middle of 2016 (according to the Port Authority web site)?

Because Port Everglades has been in pilot with the program, not Royal Caribbean.

Edited by Charles4515

Port Everglades issued that release. Not Royal Caribbean. All it says is they are working with Customs and Royal Caribbean. You are reading more into it than there is about Royals involvement. All they need Royal to do is tell passengers on ships debarking at Port Everglades about the Mobile Passport App. And what devices it works on. Royal's call centers don't need to have info about it although it would be nice if they did. Also since only Apple phones and tablets can currently use the app at Port Everglades, other devices can't there could be a lot of confusion if the call centers tried to answer questions about it. Their call centers have enough problems giving out correct info as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515