What to do when your stateroom mate bails on you?

chele670

My Mom, two sisters and I booked the westerdam to Hawaii on 1/14/17. We booked two verandah staterooms. One of my sisters and I paid for the cruise. Now the other sister has bailed.

So the question is: What do we say on embarkation day? My TA told us to say nothing beforehand and just act surprised when we get there, NO explanation needed. I thought maybe we should just say she missed the boat or had a last minute emergency.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Forums mobile app

I've had this happen to me twice on another line and I just told them at embarkation that they couldn't make it due to their jobs. You will get refunded their port taxes.

That is actually more of the truth of why she bailed...I think that is what we will say...The good news is..I'm the sister who gets the room to myself!

I'm confused. Back in September, you posted "My Sister and I are taking my Mom on this cruise! I can hardly wait. This will be the first cruise for all three of us and a once in a lifetime advanture (sic)." So how does sister #3 come into play? Did she decide belatedly to join you, then change her mind?

My question would be wants the harm of telling the line now?

The fare for the passenger who is staying will be redone as a solo. When I had this happen many years ago, if I had told them that the second passenger was a no show it would have ended up costing me more than I had already paid. As it was, I did get the port fees back.

The fare for the passenger who is staying will be redone as a solo. When I had this happen many years ago, if I had told them that the second passenger was a no show it would have ended up costing me more than I had already paid. As it was, I did get the port fees back.

So if you tell them before embarkation, they recalculate if rates have gone up?

That sounds unlikely - by what rationale would the fare go up.

Is there a close friend or relative who might be compatible to be asked to join. Seems a shame to less the un-redeemable fare go to waste - of course you'd have to contact the line in advance to approve such a change, but I know HAL permits it.

I'm confused. Back in September, you posted "My Sister and I are taking my Mom on this cruise! I can hardly wait. This will be the first cruise for all three of us and a once in a lifetime advanture (sic)." So how does sister #3 come into play? Did she decide belatedly to join you, then change her mind?

I knew the end of August that she was not going...but just started thinking about it now about what to say on the day.

That's exactly what my TA said.

Is there a close friend or relative who might be compatible to be asked to join. Seems a shame to less the un-redeemable fare go to waste - of course you'd have to contact the line in advance to approve such a change, but I know HAL permits it.

I have offered this trip to soooo many people and they said no!...all they would have to pay is OBC and excursions. But yes! What a shame to let a paid unused bed go on a cruise to Hawaii!

So if you tell them before embarkation, they recalculate if rates have gone up?

They will recalculate it as a solo fare. I don't remember if the recalculate was based on the fare when I originally booked or the current fare, but the total became about $100 more.

It may sound unlikely to you, but it is the HAL policy.

The rationale is that they charge more for a solo passenger than the "per person" rate for a double cabin.

Remember that HAL considers a name change as a cancel and rebook when they allow it, so a penalty may apply.

Had this happen to me and I was advised to say nothing. Since I had paid for two people, the cabin was mine alone... and like the OP, I had paid the cost so nothing was due to the other person. I was refunded her port taxes and also her shore excursions as once I was at the ship I said she was not coming due to an emergency... which was true. Like others, this was the course of action my TA advised.

Susan

My question would be wants the harm of telling the line now?

I bolded your question..The sister who is now a solo would have to pay the single supplement rate if she tells HAL in advance..

You have to remember that HAL is not making any extra money (for tours, service charges, liquor or wine pkgs, & other things) for the second Psgr in that cabin who cancel's, therefore they re-fare the first Psgr at the single supplement rate..

Edited by serendipity1499

They will recalculate it as a solo fare. I don't remember if the recalculate was based on the fare when I originally booked or the current fare, but the total became about $100 more.

It may sound unlikely to you, but it is the HAL policy.

The rationale is that they charge more for a solo passenger than the "per person" rate for a double cabin.

Remember that HAL considers a name change as a cancel and rebook when they allow it, so a penalty may apply.

My Friends DH passed away & she took another Friend in place of her DH..HAL charged my Friend for a cancel & rebook & re calculated her fare..She had to pay much more for the new person who replaced her DH..I know it was several hundred dollars more..

So pardon me as I have never sailed solo but you are saying a solo pays more for the same cabin then if two were in the cabin?:eek: If yes, no wonder I see so many comments about solo fares.

That's not quite how it works. A solo is likely to pay the same amount as two people; the single supplement is (up to) 100%.

If HAL is notified in advance that one sister is not coming, if it's after final payment, her fare would be forfeited. The fact that the sister who is sailing paid that fare, and the fact that the amount is the same as the single supplement, does not matter. The fare is for the canceling sister, and is non-refundable. Now, the sister who is going to sail has to pay a single supplement.

HAL would get the equivalent of three fares for the two beds.

That's not quite how it works. A solo is likely to pay the same amount as two people; the single supplement is (up to) 100%.

If HAL is notified in advance that one sister is not coming, if it's after final payment, her fare would be forfeited. The fact that the sister who is sailing paid that fare, and the fact that the amount is the same as the single supplement, does not matter. The fare is for the canceling sister, and is non-refundable. Now, the sister who is going to sail has to pay a single supplement.

HAL would get the equivalent of three fares for the two beds.

Something wrong with this picture, don't you think?

Edited by OVgirl

Something wrong with this picture, don't you think?

As someone who has been a solo in a Noah's Ark world for a long time, I see it as par for the course. This is not the only place or time that solos have it stuck to them.

No one said life is fair. Neither is the cruise fare for a solo.