Do you cruise for the ship or the ports?

For us, it depends on what our objective is for any particular cruise. If we're interested in cruising in a particular region, first we pick the itinerary, and then figure out which ship we want to do it on. If we're just interested in a relaxing (Caribbean) cruise, then we pick the ship first and go from there:cool:

For me it's being on the ship. Sure I look forward to seeing different scenery,however I would be content remaining on the ship. On my last cruise, I was talked into going ashore and really regretted it. I love the sensation of the ship cruising & yet enjoy the open sea, land or even the port. Primarily it's about being on the ship. Sorry if repetitive [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have now been to just about every island in the Caribbean and have enjoyed the excursion of tours we have taken over the years as we cruised for the ports and have liked the ships also. On our next cruise on Oasis however we are going for the ship and will only get off at the ports and walk around the port areas a little bit, look in the shops and then go back on the ship for the day! :cool:

Ship for us.

Although from the UK we visited the US and Vegas quite a few times before we had our son. We love Vegas :)

With Vegas out of the question now, to us the ship (we have only sailed Royal) is a little bit of American Vegas even when sailing out of the UK.

Interesting ports are a a bit of a bonus.

One of the biggest factors for me to consider first is the dates. Whether we are going during a school holiday or missing school because we want to go for a specific celebration.

We cruised for my daughter's 12th birthday last year. She got to choose between the Oasis or the Freedom + 2 days at DWD based on departure port. She picked the Freedom. We had already been to all the ports for both itineraries.

We wanted to cruise for Christmas, so it was more about timing and cost, then it was itinerary.

I am planning a cruise for spring break 2018. I am contemplating a different cruise line because of the new ship and because it is going to four ports I have never been to (Southern Caribbean).

When I went to the Mediterranean. It was both ship and itinerary, with certain ports being required.

My typical answer would be for the ports; however, we are cruising in January on Oasis. We picked it strictly for the ship and it will be our first time on an Oasis class ship. I not really excited about it, but I hope I like it since Oasis is now in PC, it makes it easy for us to cruise when we are "snowbirding" in Florida.:D

Sherri:)

After 30 years cruising the Caribbean we have pretty much been there, done that as far as the ports are concerned. Let's face it they re not making any new islands. For us the ship is the destination.

I disagree. DR is getting more cruise visits, which I dont remember being true in the past. Colombia is also a more recent addition, and Central America is seeing more ports.

There are also plenty of untapped locations. Cuba is the obvious one, but Haiti gets completely ignored except for Labadee (which doesnt really count as Haiti since you cant leave). Venezuela is a potential location (once their government gets sorted out, like Colombia), and many of the smaller islands get ignored because they cannot support the mega ships

Ive been on plenty of cruises, and my upcoming stop to Martinique is a first. From what I understand, it was a popular stop 20+ years ago and fell out of favor. I believe after this cruising season it will be gone again.

Anyway, I cruise for ports. My ideal is 5 ports + 1 day at sea.

Stopping at Nassau or St Thomas is a huge minus for me because its been there done that so often.

Edited by jamesboat

Both! And also for the closest port of embarkation that I can drive to. :)

This is my answer too: both.

At the end of it, it comes down to price. Any cruise that is closer to us will win regardless of the ports of call if the price is right.

DH and I like cruising as a form of vacation (we do more land trips however). He could go on a cruise to nowhere and be happy. He just likes to be on a ship. I couldn't do that. I cruise as an enjoyable method to get to different ports.

How about you?

Thanks to Cruise critic, I do both, with some knowledge I go in prepared and have taken cruises for ships/ports for one, the other, both, or neither. I just got back from a 4 day on Majesty that was just to be on a cruise and away from home/work.

Oasis last May was for the ports mainly/ship second.

Freedom 2015 was for the ship.

Jewel 2014 was for the ports.

Adventure 2016 is for the ports.

Jewel 2-17 is for the ports, but I'll enjoy the ships in my upcoming cruise.

Edited by BillOh

After 30 years cruising the Caribbean we have pretty much been there, done that as far as the ports are concerned. Let's face it they re not making any new islands. For us the ship is the destination.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Forums mobile app

They're making this new one Cuba, I hear its called ;) After the 2 next cruises I will have hit most Caribbean ports and might feel the same as you.

Edited by BillOh

If we are cruising in Europe, then we cruise for the ports. In the Caribbean, we cruise for the ship since we've been to those ports several times. That said, it would be nice if Royal would add some new Caribbean ports for the Oasis class ships.