Stateroom selection

racegirl35

Are staterooms located toward the front of the ship usually the worst? When we booked our next cruise the middle and back were sold out so I was pretty much stuck with the front. I did choose the highest deck where rooms were available.

Think of the ship like a sea saw, there is less movement in the middle. No doubt.

Many saw you feel less movement on a lower deck than a higher deck, and physics says they are right, however there is a complicating factor in that motion sickness is also impacted by visual stimuli and waves and Horizon movement are exaggerated from a low perspective.

So high or low can be impacted by what stimulates you motion issues.

Are staterooms located toward the front of the ship usually the worst? When we booked our next cruise the middle and back were sold out so I was pretty much stuck with the front. I did choose the highest deck where rooms were available.

"The worst" in what way? Most sensitive to the ship up and down motion? Yes, and that will be felt the most the higher up you are. Further in distance from mid and aft ship venues? Yes, but no more so than far aft locations. Other than that they are the same as any other location. Not sure why you feel that you are "stuck with the front". Maybe elaborate on your concerns.

When I was stationed on an aircraft carrier the only time I ever felt it move was when I was all the way forward. While we prefer mid-ship cabins I personally like the forward cabins. Next year we'll experience an aft cabin for the first time (my prediction is that I will love it and DW will hate it).

Each cabin within the same category is identical, no matter WHERE on the ship it's located! If seas are rough, the higher decks and the ends of the ship can experience more motion.... (think of the see-saw!)...but 90% of the time, in moderate seas, you won't notice a difference.

And remember...you will only be in the cabin while sleeping, for the most part. The rest of the day you'll be out and about...all over the ship!

Each cabin within the same category is identical, no matter WHERE on the ship it's located! If seas are rough, the higher decks and the ends of the ship can experience more motion.... (think of the see-saw!)...but 90% of the time, in moderate seas, you won't notice a difference.

And remember...you will only be in the cabin while sleeping, for the most part. The rest of the day you'll be out and about...all over the ship!

NO- different location means NOT identical. The further forward or aft you are from the center of pitch (think of it as the axis on which the ship pitches up and down) the more pitch will be experienced. The difference experienced by being in a cabin a few feet more or less forward will be minimal - but some categories extend a fair distance - forward and aft as you can see by checking deck plans.

It all depends on your perspective. My hubby and I think cabins toward the front of the ship are the best, since we really enjoy the ocean motion. If you don't like that and/or are prone to seasickness, then forward cabins probably aren't best for you.

Racegirl, We noticed another of your posts where you expressed a lot of concern about rough seas and movement of the ship. Accordingly, you should avoid cabins in the forward 1/3 of the ship. The most stable cabins are those arrayed around the middle and on the lowest decks. Cabins towards the aft are also relatively steady in rougher seas...but may have vibration issues due to their location vis-a-vis the propellers.

Personally, we love cabins towards the bow since any motion simply rocks us asleep. These cabins are also far away from the major mechanical systems (arrayed around the middle and aft of the ship) which minimizes vibration and mechanical noise.

Hank