Large earthquake in NZ

Beanb41

A horrific scenario popped up this morning and that is Are there any cars buried under the tons of rubble that has come down across the roads. If there are tourists there it maybe months before we find out for sure.

That thought crossed my mind yesterday when I was looking at some of the pictures of the slips online.

Hopefully there aren't any. Given the time of the main quake I would imagine most tourists would be tucked up in their accommodation, not travelling that section of road. The really worry is trucks who do night-time runs when the roads are quieter. - however their absence would have been noticed by now.

Yes I believe so

And of course the scale isn't linear - each magnitude level is significantly larger than the previous level

I know.

I read somewhere that they are worried that the Alpine Fault might go (38% possibility in the next 50 years) and if that happens it would be massive.

Some people may need to consider that fact the NZ authorities have yet to reassess the affect on the sea bed as it has already been estimated that some 'parts' have moved almost 40 metres under water.

No wonder the NZ authorities are being cautious - and rightly so

My thoughts are with my family in Christchurch who tell me it was not as bad for them as 2011 but certainly the ongoing 'rumbles' are concerning

Some people may need to consider that fact the NZ authorities have yet to reassess the affect on the sea bed as it has already been estimated that some 'parts' have moved almost 40 metres under water.

No wonder the NZ authorities are being cautious - and rightly so

My thoughts are with my family in Christchurch who tell me it was not as bad for them as 2011 but certainly the ongoing 'rumbles' are concerning

In Kaikoura it has been reported that the foreshore has lifted by 2 metres, leaving the Whale Watching boats high and dry and the crayfish and other seafood without a home. Seal colonies have also been effected.

The first vehicle has got through. It was a 4W drive truck and had to traverse river beds and paddocks to get there. Machines are working on the inland road to give access.

As time marches on Wellington CBD is beginning to fare worse than had been anticipated. Over the past 24 hours a number of high rise buildings have been evacuated / cordoned off as engineers find faults, some of which may result in buildings be demolished. All major carparks in the city are still closed as they need to be checked. A number of these car parking buildings were significantly damaged when we had the last quake, but life goes on

As time marches on Wellington CBD is beginning to fare worse than had been anticipated. Over the past 24 hours a number of high rise buildings have been evacuated / cordoned off as engineers find faults, some of which may result in buildings be demolished. All major carparks in the city are still closed as they need to be checked. A number of these car parking buildings were significantly damaged when we had the last quake, but life goes on

Thanks for the continued updates.

Appreciate these continued updates and interesting details as to how these impacts are evolving. Good or bad, the media here in the USA is not doing any real follow-ups and many are forgetting about this "situation". WOW!! Looks like it is going to take lots of time and money for things to get back to "normal". Our best to all in New Zealand and continue to keep us posted.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 161,029 views for this posting.

Good news, following from the website of CentrePort Wellington.

(Pacific Aria is the ex Ryndam)

CRUISE SHIP TO BERTH IN WELLINGTON ON MONDAY

Friday, 18 November 2016 12:33

Wellington will welcome the inaugural visit of the Pacific Aria on Monday 21 November 2016.

CentrePort Chief Executive Derek Nind says the cruise berth has been declared fit for operation, after the company suspended operations because of Monday’s earthquake.

“We’re looking forward to welcoming passengers and crew of the 219-metre long Pacific Aria to our Harbourside Capital. Cruise ships make a significant contribution to the regional economy, making the visit particularly welcome at this time.”

Mr Nind said port staff are continuing to work alongside other agencies to restore operations while maintaining public safety.

Chris Whelan, CEO of Wellington Economic Development Agency, says this will be very welcome news for the city’s retail and hospitality sectors, and tourism operators.

“Last year, the cruise season saw close to 165,000 cruise ship passengers visit the city, worth $58 million to Wellington’s economy. This year is tracking to be our biggest season ever and following the events of this week, this is some very good news for the city’s economy during a challenging time.”

Mr Whelan says the passenger and crew spending isn’t just limited to city tours and souvenirs. People will buy things like toiletries, phone sim cards, electronics and Christmas presents.

“We also have Wellington city ambassadors who will welcome and assist Pacific Aria passengers.”

The Pacific Aria is on her maiden voyage to New Zealand. She will arrive in Wellington from Napier, before heading to Akaroa on Monday night. She is carrying 1,459 Australian passengers and has 617 crew.

Things are getting back to normal. Pacific Aria is docked in Wellington but not at the cruise terminal,She is a few berths down the wharf .

Emerald is docked at Picton .

Very glad to hear that [emoji3]

I am going to be in Wellington tomorrow for work. Am looking forward to it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have just had a look at the webcam down at the Port and the Pacific Aria is parked up close enough to the Cruise terminal not to matter. The Port is however concerned about larger ships with deeper draughts due in coming weeks and how they are going to cope. They are very conscious of the $NZ60 million cruise ships bring to the capitol each year and will endeavour to do all they can to allow the ships to visit