Need Advice from recent cruisers out of Venice

TeeRick

We are going on Constellation (8 people) out of Venice next June. Flying directly into Marco Polo the day before. Need some advice. We are thinking of staying near the airport area instead of trying to take all of our luggage into the city for 1 night stay. We think that might be a challenge. We think we could get settled in our hotel and then take transportation (water taxi?) into the city to see some sites. Anybody have thoughts on this? Are there any hotels just outside of Venice that are recommended? How about getting to the cruiseport in Venice- easier from the city or from just outside the city? Thanks!

Would recommend getting a hotel /B&B close to Pizzale Roma; the bus from the airport drops there, and the people mover to the cruise port leaves from there. Then you can wander around Venice at your own pace.

We stayed here; excellent B&B, but no elevator.

http://www.cadellacorte.com

Just one bridge to negotiate with luggage (plus another with ramps alongside steps).

Stuart

Depending on your budget.....we took a private water taxi from the airport to the base of Hilton Stucky Molino. This cost about 100 euro and could easily accommodate 8 people. This hotel provides a free shuttle to St Marks Square or another stop. There is also literally a 2 minute shuttle to the port from the base of the hotel that has a small per person cost.

Not the cheapest but very convenient and allowed us to visit Venice. Also the Hilton has a nice rooftop bar that overlooks Venice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn pre-cruise. The airport is a short taxi ride from hotel and on to the cruise port. The hotel offered a chargeable transfer service to/from both airport/ port? The hotel is on a direct bus route into the main transport termis bus/water taxis and water buses which is next to the port entrance. I think about 10/15mins transfer.

We were in Venice in July. My wife, son and his wife. We came in the day of our embarkation so we did not have a hotel. We did take a Vaporetta to the cruise ship dock. Since there was 4 of us, we should have taken a water taxi directly. The Vaporetta took about one hour and made many stops. It was scenic though.

If you stay near the airport, that is an option. The bus and people mover still require a lengthy walk and several stairs plus at least one bridge.

As our ship( Constellation) did not leave until the next day, we walked into Venice several times..there is also the Vaporetta to St Marks etc.

Eaglewar......Rick

The Crowne Plaza, mentioned by a PP, offers a cruise package which includes a shuttle from the airport, breakfast and transportation to the cruise port.

You can buy tickets from the front desk for the train into Venice (from memory 6€ per person). Best of all. The railway station is only yards away and walking out of Santa Lucia station (the Venice terminal) straight to the Grand Canal is wonderful.

Suggest you look for a hotel in Piazzale Roma. There is an express bus that will take you (and your luggage) to this major hub which is near the port, the train station, and a major vaporetto stop. From here it is easy to get most anywhere.

Next day if you don't want any hassle you can get a taxi from here to the port. Much closer to Venice for doing any sightseeing you have time for.

This past Sept we spent 4 days pre cruise at Hilton Garden Inn because we got an amazing price. 5 years ago we spent 3 days in same hotel. It is very convenient and got us to the port very efficiently and cheaply. But I agree with poster who says take the bus to Piazza Rome. The buses are so easy and it definitely is way closer to the action if you only have 1 day. My very best advise is PACK LIGHT. Everything they say on CC packing advise is true about slugging your luggage in Venice. We've been 3 times and love it even time, a sail away like no other. ENJOY!

We are going on Constellation (8 people) out of Venice next June. Flying directly into Marco Polo the day before. Need some advice. We are thinking of staying near the airport area instead of trying to take all of our luggage into the city for 1 night stay. We think that might be a challenge. We think we could get settled in our hotel and then take transportation (water taxi?) into the city to see some sites. Anybody have thoughts on this? Are there any hotels just outside of Venice that are recommended? How about getting to the cruiseport in Venice- easier from the city or from just outside the city? Thanks!

I will recommend to stay near the train station. You can take land taxi from the airport to the hotel and water taxi or ( vaporetto) from your hotel to any sights. Would not recommend to shlep your luggage in Venice.

We were just there last month. We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Mestre. Very convenient in taking the bus into Piazza Roma. Bus stop right at the Hilton, and you can purchase bus tickets at the Hilton. For a reasonable fee they will pick you up at the airport when you arrive if you pre-arrange with them, and they will arrange inexpensive transport to the cruise port.

Don't stay at the airport. We're glad we didn't stay in the city of Venice itself.

If you stay in Mestre, you can take a bus from the airport to Mestre. Hotels are plentiful by the train station( about 1 block from the bus station). We stayed at the Hotel Tritone . It had a superb breakfast and was right across the street from the train station. Trains run about every 20 minutes and leave you in the heart of Venice with a Vaporetto stop right at the station.

It is a short cab ride to the ship and no bag slugging.

Eaglewar.......Rick

Hi TeeRick we are cruising on 5 June maybe its your sailing. Having been to Venice a number of times we would always stay in Venice itself just make sure the hotel you choose has its own water taxi dock. Its so special to arrive this way and the most convenient. If there are 8 of you the cost (about 100 euros per taxi) should work out quite economical. Have stayed at Hilton Molino Stucky for a birthday very nice and close to the port by water.

Suggest you look for a hotel in Piazzale Roma. There is an express bus that will take you (and your luggage) to this major hub which is near the port, the train station, and a major vaporetto stop. From here it is easy to get most anywhere.

Next day if you don't want any hassle you can get a taxi from here to the port. Much closer to Venice for doing any sightseeing you have time for.

I agree with cruisemom. There are a variety of hotels near Piazzale Roma. You can probably find one cheaper than the Hilton or Marriott by the airport. That would give you a little time to walk around Venice, which is wonderful.

Water taxis are very expensive. Even if you stayed by the airport, that is a poor option.

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn near the airport and it was super convenient. If you want to go into the city, there is a bus that takes you directly to Piazza Roma. A cab to the port the next day is a breeze. I felt it was much better than lugging bags around Venice.

I agree with cruisemom. There are a variety of hotels near Piazzale Roma. You can probably find one cheaper than the Hilton or Marriott by the airport. That would give you a little time to walk around Venice, which is wonderful.

Water taxis are very expensive. Even if you stayed by the airport, that is a poor option.

A stay in Venice would be nice, and both of these posters are correct. There is even a bus from VCE to Piazzale Roma.

Bus info:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_airport_buses_atvo.htm

Take the people mover to the ship: Yes from Piazzale Roma

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-people-mover.htm

Finally, this is one of the best hotels we have stayed in anywhere. large beautiful rooms with great service. It is very close to Piazzale Roma. Maybe a 4-5 minute walk.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187870-d289202-Reviews-Hotel_Antiche_Figure-Venice_Veneto.html

I hope the ship overnights at least one night. Venice is unique.:)

Edited by TomBeckCruise

Depending on your budget.....we took a private water taxi from the airport to the base of Hilton Stucky Molino. This cost about 100 euro and could easily accommodate 8 people. This hotel provides a free shuttle to St Marks Square or another stop. There is also literally a 2 minute shuttle to the port from the base of the hotel that has a small per person cost.

Not the cheapest but very convenient and allowed us to visit Venice. Also the Hilton has a nice rooftop bar that overlooks Venice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I second the Hilton Stucky Molino. Beautiful hotel, great views, super easy location that makes getting to Venice proper very easy.

I agree with cruisemom and 4774Papa. We have been to Venice several times and haved stayed at Best Western Olympia, situated right beside Piazza Roma. This limits your having to carry your luggage only 2 minutes over 2 short foot bridges from Piazza Roma. It will be easy to leave from your hotel the next day to go to the cruise port, via the People Mover, also at Piazza Roma, for about 1 euro per person. Or, you could take one or two taxis (depending on # of pax that fit in each taxi) from Piazza Roma, to travel the mile required to the cruise port. Bus from Marco Polo airport is 8 euro each so it may be easier and cheaper to just find a taxi van to take you straight to Piazza Roma, cost would be about 30 euro to get you to Piazza Roma (and the hotel, if you chose the Olympia). IMHO you should maximize your time in Venice by being in Venice. Once you are there you will see that it was the best way to go. We also stayed 5 days in an apartment in Venice last year, and walking and taking vaporetti to tour around is really easy. Good luck and have a great time.

I was just there last month. If you have a lot of luggage, you don't want to haul it over a couple of bridges. All those bridges have lots of steps going up and down when you cross. I commented to myself when there that it would be a non-starter. Additionally, we were on Rhapsody, and as we drove to the ship from our hotel, I noticed as we passed where the people mover let you off to where the ship was docked, and it was a long, long, long walk.

Edited by Wine-O

Hi TeeRick we are cruising on 5 June maybe its your sailing. Having been to Venice a number of times we would always stay in Venice itself just make sure the hotel you choose has its own water taxi dock. Its so special to arrive this way and the most convenient. If there are 8 of you the cost (about 100 euros per taxi) should work out quite economical. Have stayed at Hilton Molino Stucky for a birthday very nice and close to the port by water.

Yes we are also on the June 5th cruise. Are you on the roll call? Where are you going to stay next June?