This cheerleader is just feeling...let down

Medtech2

The whole crew does not start at the same time so the tired crew from being at the end of their contract doesn't stand up for me.

They may be tired as hell from being over worked though as all the cruise lines keep cutting back and adding more responsibilities to their crew.

Somehow I think these bean counters think the crew members are machines. There is only so much an individual can do before you burn them out.

Bill

Unfortunately not just cruise lines. My job is doing the same thing, hoping to force out the older employees while paying new employees who think it's normal much, much less. In a hospital, having short staffing can be dangerous, but it's a corporate world out there. It's scary...

The whole crew does not start at the same time so the tired crew from being at the end of their contract doesn't stand up for me.

They may be tired as hell from being over worked though as all the cruise lines keep cutting back and adding more responsibilities to their crew.

Somehow I think these bean counters think the crew members are machines. There is only so much an individual can do before you burn them out.

Bill

Bill,

I have never noticed a significant difference in the quality of service on any of my 16 cruises (NCL and Celebrity).

Not sure that productivity declines that much at the end of their tour. Fram what the staff has told me and what I read, getting a job on a cruise ship is quite a plus for the staff from third world countries. Many save their money and after some years go back to their home countries, and start up a business.

Those bean counters at the cruise line don't seem like exploiting capitalists to me.

I'll be posting a full review of my November 6 Gem cruise in a few days but I just wanted to stop in and say that I am finally getting to the point where I will be trying other lines.

DH and I started back to cruising in 2010 after a 25 year absence with a perfect 2 weeks on the Epic. Due to us both having piddling jobs with limited time off we were not able to cruise often enough to achieve my goal of sailing each Norwegian ship before now and all these changes with new leadership have spoiled that goal as I am not going to continue a quest with a product that has definitely lost its luster.

I was hoping the changes that have been discussed ad nauseum on this board would not affect my love of NCL cruising but all the little things are starting to add up and this last cruise on the Gem dimmed things enough so that I am not a sole NCL cruiser at heart any more.

I had booked this cruise 11 months ago and picked a week that was sandwiched between my having to work every 3rd weekend and a complete computer change at work. So when I found out much later that we would be calling on St. Maarten on a national holiday and most places would be closed I could not change cruise dates. I was however, surprised that NCL would schedule the ports in an order that had us docking on such a major holiday instead of changing things up so that we would be there on a regular day.

We had originally been excited that we were returning to St. Maarten in order to go to a restaurant we had missed during a timeshare vacation, eat more of their excellent Island made Etna ice cream, and bring back another obscenely low priced wheel of the most delicious Gouda we'd ever eaten. Well, apparently Norwegian has a CORPORATE policy banning the bringing aboard of cheese. The Port Shopping guy outright LIED and told me it was "Maritime Law." Really? Did he think we just fell off a turnip truck and had not learned how to use the internet to immediately find out that was totally absurd? According to the store owner I talked with only NCL bans cheese. Both Carnival and RCI allow passengers to buy cheese to bring back to the States. He said many of his Puerto Rican customers cruise into St. Maarten just to stock up on cheeses that are so expensive back home. We're not talking runny, unpasteurized whatever but WAXED SEALED WHOLE WHEELS of Gouda that can easily sit at room temp a month or more. Restaurant closed, grocery closed so no ice cream, and now banned cheese. Which just means I'll be picking another line to return to St. Maarten in the future.

As the sailing date grew closer prices were dropping and I wanted to upsell but was quoted prices $400 more per person than what new bookings would have paid for the same cabin. If I paid $799 each for passengers 1 and 2 in an OV and the website was showing $699 per for a balcony why on earth was I quoted $1099? Absolutely ridiculous. So we stayed in the OV.

Embarkation was a nightmare. There was a massive downpour after we boarded and many people's luggage was totally soaked, including mine and my daughter's. According to the HD they know the port has no covered luggage storage so my suggestion was to make sure each guest knows that in advance so that they keep their luggage with them if they are physically able. We never would have let the porters take our luggage if we had known it wasn't being sent into the building like in other ports. They did wash everything but I didn't want to hear excuse after excuse when it would have been so easy to have an email or attachment to San Juan ticket contracts that stated the port situation and the lack of protection for luggage. Having a sign that said "Keep your carryon" without any other explanation did not do it.

Our steward did not show up for turn down one night or to clean the next day so that we actually called Guest Services to see if he was sick. He said we had the Do Not Disturb sign turned. Well, yes, that night from 8 pm to 9 pm we did as we were getting dressed but we turned it back at 9. He said he went off duty at 9:30. I totally get that but he outright lied when he said we had the sign turned past that time when he got off duty as we had a 9 pm dinner reservation and the wheel was at Turn Down still when we returned at 11pm. He said he was waiting in the crew closet. Well fella, if I'd known you were in a closet I'd have gotten you. Why did he not check again before clocking out? Gone are the days when stewards were visible and available and actually said Hi with a cheery voice. Instead he had 15 cabins and no help and he was not a happy camper, which showed. It was obvious he was in a hurry as we found dust so thick on the phone table it was completely white.

On more than one occasion I had the uncomfortable instance of seeing crew being reprimanded in full view of guests or of crew arguing amongst themselves. It was embarassing that my daughter saw that, and not the sterling happy service of which I had been bragging all these years.

Under the UBP $16 was the limit which was fine but there was one drink we wanted to try that was more than that. We rarely drink so brands do not matter to us. We asked that this particular drink be made with a cheaper house brand in order to put it below the $16 limit and the bartender almost frothed at the mouth when he said "no substitutions!" It wasn't the money, it was his reaction that was so disconcerting.

There are also no more ship pins, which were wonderful small keepsakes unique to each ship. I was very disappointed to find that I would not be getting a Gem pin to add to my collection.

Now, don't get me wrong, we still had a great vacation but it was unfortunate that there were enough nonstellar times that my daughter was emphatic when she said she'd never cruise NCL again. She just shook her head at our past glowing reports. Again, it was embarassing.

I still plan on going on the Escape at some future time but am not locked in to NCL for a much wanted Alaska cruise, or any other cruise now.

Oh well. I will be doing a review of the cabin, the ship, etc, in the near future, and it will not be dwelling on these negatives, let me assure you.

You do know that if you buy cheese outside of the US, you need to declare it at customs when you come back into the US. At which time you have a very good chance that it will be confiscated.

You do know that if you buy cheese outside of the US, you need to declare it at customs when you come back into the US. At which time you have a very good chance that it will be confiscated.

I declare everything, including a $1.99 magnet...

and no, it will NOT be confiscated. Totally allowed.

Thank you for your honest review. I had a similar experience on my Alaskan cruise last summer. Cruised some other lines since and really enjoyed them. Am giving NCL another try this weekend and again this winter. We'll see what happens from there.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

As far as the luggage he blaimed the port facilities and the fact that they had over 600 Puerto Ricans on this sailing, which apparently surprised him. Again I tried to emphasize that it would be very easy to send an email blast out to San Juan cruisers telling them about the lack of facilities and the high probability of rain, or put the notice prominently on your cruise docs where it tells you which pier to use. Easily programmed.

And as far as being surprised so many Puerto Ricans were on board why would that matter? I can assure you that the Carnival ships sailing out of Charleston, SC are heavily booked by locals. He said they did not expect that so many would be off. That and St. Maarten sound like no one at NCL pays attention to local holidays, which logistically should matter. He also kept emphasizing that Puerto Ricans hold US passports and that is why they could not be held accountable that everyone showed up during the afternoon to embark. Again, every conversation was excuses, and not even a real apology.

My daughter was charged for a Bailey's and Coffee drink, even though it was alcoholic. He said it was because of staffing and not cost, as the coffee and alcohol is much cheaper than mixed drinks. Again it boiled down to NCL's decisions to cut staffing to the bone, and expect the crew to bear the brunt with a smile.

We did not bother him about our steward but alerted Guest Services, who definitely jumped on it, as the steward showed up within 15 minutes, but that person also just made the excuses, rather then a simple heartfelt apology.

I did not address the public dressing down of crew as that happened later in the week and I could tell by then that this crew was so overworked they just could not handle it.

The cheese issue was answered with "that's the rule." It was actually a guest services rep who said it was NCL Corporate policy. When I told her it would encourage me to cruise Carnival she seemed very surprised by that. I asked that she pass that info along but doubt it will happen. I know NCL USED to read these boards so that is part of the reason I am listing all this here.

As far as getting something for the wet luggage we did not ask for anything other than our clothes cleaned. My daughter's white capris were stained and they sent them through again, keeping them 3 days. The stain is gone but the fabric is now really worn. I heard from several other passengers they were demanding their luggage be replaced and getting OBC, etc. That's not how I operate, but it would have been nice to receive some acknowledgement and the all important apology, not the excuse...

Thanks for the info - we sail Gem from San Juan to NYC next month. To us, it appears under the new management that crew staffing has been reduced and additional responsibilities taken on by some crew. As far as Guest Services, it sounds like you had a mixed bag - some wrong information yet they got a steward up there fairly quickly. We've had hit or miss with from various reps at the desk over the years with wrong info thus wasting our time to get the correct resolution.

Medtech2, this is how I feel right now about Carnival. After 8 cruises with them, they have started to become less enjoyable for various reasons. The last couple of them were still nice cruises, but left me somewhat feeling let down. I think sometimes we just need a change. I am looking forward to the Escape next year. I think there are many cruisers who eventually try something different, and I think that is a good thing. Gives one a more varied experience. Hope your next one is better.:)

Medtech2, this is how I feel right now about Carnival. After 8 cruises with them, they have started to become less enjoyable for various reasons. The last couple of them were still nice cruises, but left me somewhat feeling let down. I think sometimes we just need a change. I am looking forward to the Escape next year. I think there are many cruisers who eventually try something different, and I think that is a good thing. Gives one a more varied experience. Hope your next one is better.:)

Yep, the product has changed since we started back in 2010. We also own timeshare points so 2017 will be the year of the timeshare. Hoping to book either Escape or the Alaska cruise for 2018. Have one more Cruisenext certificate that expires in October 2018.

What is the age range on Celebrity? Would a 21-year old be happy there (for a birthday cruise)? We are planning for an early May cruise.

You would not like it if your a night owl or like to party in any way. I am in my early 40s and would never go.

Old folks every where and they affected almost every aspect of the cruise.

Everyone at bed by 10pm long lines in guest services, a lot of demanding behavior. My wife said it was the most boring cruise she was ever on.

You know? I had never thought about the pre paids being the cause. it certainly makes sense now! I do agree also that its a crap shoot whether the steward you get is into their job every time every cruise. I know the adage, if they didnt want to be in the service industry, then why do it? BUT I also didnt know about the cheese!! Out of curiosity is it something that can be shipped ?

I think they believe they are missing out on you buying cheese plates through room service lol how dumb. I know they do not allow fruit but that is so lame... cheese. I am going to chew on a big hunk of cheese in line coming back on the ship just to see what they say. Ha ha

:confused:

IMHO this is the effect of prepaying gratuities for services not yet rendered.

There is no incentive to go above and beyond as they know they have already been tipped. I've never been able to wrap my head around this concept.

I will pay them in advance (as I already have) but it goes beyond all tipping logic.

100% agree. It seems so obvious but many don't get it.

IMHO

Pre-payed gratuities, was the effect of pax here on CruiseCritic crowing about how they could get away with not tipping.

All cruise lines are trying to make the most amount of profit.

(Screw the working staff) in turn, they don't seem to care of our wants ?

I call out pax for being CHEAP, only to be reprimanded.

They only compliment themselves for being THRIFY.:)

How dare I to tell one of how to spend their money.

Edited by $hip$hape

No, not if they are looking for a party. Celebrity is similar to Princess where most people enjoy reading a good book by the pool or going to one of the lectures from guest speakers.

That sure sounds nice to me.

I cruised on X Summit once and loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bill

Business all over the US do this and no one seems to care.

They do it where I work and a lot of folks I know.

In fact they do not stop doing this until they find the right numbers of breaking point and too much slack time.

I have bought that wonderful Gouda cheese in St Martin several times--as long as there is no meat, it is allowed thru US Customs. So no bacon wrapped cheese! So sorry to hear that it was not allowed onboard! We are travelling on the Gem in December and my husband suggested we buy cheese! Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Forums mobile app

Ummm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy- however - ALL cruise lines have extensive policy in place that forbids the bringing on or taking off of food - and for obvious reasons - disease / health issues / introduction of foreign stuff both on the boat and in the US or other port - as well as the USDA and Customs definitely would have confiscated ! I don't think this is a reason to be unhappy with a cruise lines decision --

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMHO

Pre-payed gratuities, was the effect of pax here on CruiseCritic crowing about how they could get away with not tipping.

All cruise lines are trying to make the most amount of profit.

(Screw the working staff) in turn, they don't seem to care of our wants ?

I call out pax for being CHEAP, only to be reprimanded.

They only compliment themselves for being THRIFY.:)

How dare I to tell one of how to spend their money.

Not really, the tips use to go directly to te crew and the NCLs of the world never saw a dime. Do you really think they put so much effort into raising items that are subject to the 18% gratuities and increases in the DSC, (sometimes twice in a very short time), just to turn it all over to the crew?

Its about stuffing money in their own profits and I'll never look at the DSC the same again.

Not really, the tips use to go directly to te crew and the NCLs of the world never saw a dime. Do you really think they put so much effort into raising items that are subject to the 18% gratuities and increases in the DSC, (sometimes twice in a very short time), just to turn it all over to the crew?

Its about stuffing money in their own profits and I'll never look at the DSC the same again.

There was a thread on the subject of the gratuities and what goes into the crew's income. It may not have been on an NCL thread. There was a poster that worked for a cruise line, not sure which one. He was very well informed about how the gratuities affect the crew income.

I tried to find the thread, but could not. I can't quote exactly what he said, but it was something to the effect that the crew are guaranteed a certain minimum income and that once the gratuities reach a certain level the income of the crew is increased.

In my opinion, paying the gratuities up front is better than what the river cruise lines do, where you have to stuff 2 or 3 envelopes at the end of the cruise.

A major reason for poorer service and longer wait times for dinner as well is that under new management, the number of staff members have been cut so that room stewards have more cabins to service. In addition, most staff now are assigned other duties leading to 12 plus hour work days, less free days and therefore sometimes having exhausted unhappy staff who despite this almost always strive to keep a smile on their faces and provide good service. Unfortunately it is not only NCL who has been trying extreme cost cutting measures but they are at the top of the list. I am still doing some cruises with them because lately traveling solo their studio cabins with lower caprices and the studio programs that works to bring solos together so that we can dine together in the evening works the best for me.

So I still enjoy cruising and still choose NCL sometimes, I sadly agree that the overall experience has declined with so many of managements cost cutting schemes. I just don't blame the poor overworked staff.

I see that several have recommended Celebrity, but I don't know that you will find that any better. My husband and I sailed the Celebrity Reflection, and we do not plan to do that again. We had a similar issue with pricing. The cabin priced dropped A LOT, but they would not give us the advertised price to upgrade. The food was also pretty mediocre, even in the nicer restuarant of Blu. Also, our Cabin attendent was nonexistent most of the time. The cruise was nice, but it was a bit boring. Though we are in our 40s, I wasn't ready to roll up and go to sleep at 10:00 on my vacation, and that was what the boat felt like.

After that trip we cruised NCL Getaway and had a fabulous experience. We had no trouble at all. So, unfortunately I think that there is no easy answer. I am sorry that you had a bad experience!

As far as confiscating the cheese, I've purchased cheese on cruises (and brought it back on the NCL EPIC! Oh, my. I didn't realize I was violating the Corporate Cheese Policy! :D:rolleyes:) and on land vacations and never had it confiscated. I do declare it and they haven't even batted an eye. I've never been even asked a question about it.

Hi Medtech,

I remember reading somewhere about the ship pins not being left in your room anymore. I was able to go to the ship excursion desk and request one. I got it from the person in charge of that area. He was in a small office over to the side. I do not know if they still do that.

Not really, the tips use to go directly to the crew and the NCLs of the world never saw a dime.

Do you really think they put so much effort into raising items that are subject to the 18% gratuities and increases in the DSC,

(sometimes twice in a very short time), just to turn it all over to the crew?

No, I don't.

I'm agreeing with you.:)

As I previously stated; All cruise lines are trying to make the most amount of profit. That's the nature of the beast.

So, now NCL will tell you how to spend your money/gratuity.

NCL is just using the "EVERYONE now pays" a DSC, as an argument for making sure that you understand that their crew deserves a decent wage,

whether or not NCL gives it to them.

Edited by $hip$hape

Thanks for checking in with the report.

I am not a NCL cheerleader and was expecting to read about bad things. The let downs seem par for the course that could happen on any cruise.

A down pour that caused luggage to get wet.

Not allowed to bring cheese on board

No substitutions in the UBP

No deals on upgrades

IMHO this is pretty typical stuff and would have little impact on the cruise itself. The OP mentioned about NCL changes that were blogged about too much. None of these complaints have anything to do with NCL changes over the past 2 years.

Not trolling but was bracing for catastrophe ;)

Looking forward to the full review

Hi Medtech,

I remember reading somewhere about the ship pins not being left in your room anymore. I was able to go to the ship excursion desk and request one. I got it from the person in charge of that area. He was in a small office over to the side. I do not know if they still do that.

Yes, we asked cruise consultant and guest services. All gone :(