Oosterdam code red

marti2282

An email from HAL this morning about our sailing this Friday. Gonna have to wait a little longer than we hoped to board.

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION:

Please be advised that during the current cruise there were elevated case

counts of gastrointestinal illness among guests, confirmed to have been caused by norovirus. A comprehensive sanitation program was launched in response, and ms Oosterdam will undergo a prolonged disinfection in Tampa on

Friday, November 18. Check-in and embarkation for your cruise will begin at

1:30 PM, and your stateroom will be available by 2:30 PM. Please do not arrive prior to 1:00 PM as there is limited seating in the terminal. To minimize

terminal congestion we will use a progressive check-in schedule as follows: 1:30pm ? Rotterdam & Navigation Deck

2:00pm ? Upper Verandah Deck

2:30pm ? Verandah & Observation Deck

3:00pm ? Main & Upper Promenade Deck

All guests must board by 3:30 PM. The ship will depart Tampa at 4:30 PM. We look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Our experience on Celebrity post Noro cruise (similar to this on - 7 or more days at sea before arriving in the States) was awful. It took nearly a week for things to reappear in the stateroom - only had the remote control on the first day, we didn't get into the cabin unit 7pm the first night, and the library was emptied, we could not use any of the serving utensils on the buffet. I guess they did their best, but we always refer to that as the Noro cruise...

Our experience on Celebrity post Noro cruise (similar to this on - 7 or more days at sea before arriving in the States) was awful. It took nearly a week for things to reappear in the stateroom - only had the remote control on the first day, we didn't get into the cabin unit 7pm the first night, and the library was emptied, we could not use any of the serving utensils on the buffet. I guess they did their best, but we always refer to that as the Noro cruise...

We have been on quite a few HAL ships with the Noro and were in Code Red for days and days.

The swimming pools were also closed. It was so bad on one cruise that the beauty salon was closed and all activities were cancelled.

Not a fun time.

I wouldn't over react. Actually, HAL does a great job of sanitizing the ship after one comes in with code red. Not only is the ship done, but all the shore side is as well. I just talked with a guest who did the Koningsdam trans Atlantic into Ft Lauderdale and he said it was also code red, but no one he knew had problems. It only takes a few careless people to get it started. Use your best preventation and you should be fine.

We have been on quite a few HAL ships with the Noro and were in Code Red for days and days.

The swimming pools were also closed. It was so bad on one cruise that the beauty salon was closed and all activities were cancelled.

Not a fun time.

If a Code Red happens during the middle of the cruise, do you get a credit on your spa fees if you bought the pass?

Kind of interesting when folks bring along things like Lysol wipes, handcleaners, etc. There is no way you can disinfect an entire ship...and even if you could...as soon as a person touches a surface it is no longer disinfected. And most of the products used by consumers are near useless against the tough Noro-virus. So here is a list of effective products...which folks might fine interesting for what is missing:

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-06/documents/list_g_norovirus.pdf

Do yourself a favor, do not get truly sick with anxiety, and simply wash your hands frequently with warm soap and water.

Hank

If a Code Red happens during the middle of the cruise, do you get a credit on your spa fees if you bought the pass?

they did on our N Amsterdam cruise and bookings on the P'dam were pro-rated once Noro was licked.

I've been on 3 Noro cruises. HAL handles it well IMO. (My first 2 Noro cruises) they take steps to try to stop it and refund where it is applicable. Oceania (my 3rd Noro cruise) did not. There was a lot more stuff open, pools, library not to mention condiments out in the open for anyone to touch and the virus just went rampant, so badly, that we were refused entry into Bermuda (which was supposed to be an overnight stop).

Hopefully, bad things really do come in three's and we will be saved from another "Noro adventure" but if I have to have one, I much prefer HAL's precautions and crew's hard work to beat it.

Our experience on a 28-day B2B Panama Canal Cruise in which we had code red for 26 of the 28 days: They tried to resist giving us a refund (thermal suite) telling us we knew what the risks were when we paid. My son persevered and they never said yes but there was a refund on our final bill.

Kind of interesting when folks bring along things like Lysol wipes, handcleaners, etc. There is no way you can disinfect an entire ship...and even if you could...as soon as a person touches a surface it is no longer disinfected. And most of the products used by consumers are near useless against the tough Noro-virus. So here is a list of effective products...which folks might fine interesting for what is missing:

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-06/documents/list_g_norovirus.pdf

Do yourself a favor, do not get truly sick with anxiety, and simply wash your hands frequently with warm soap and water.

Hank

In spite of all the Code Reds we have been through on HAL, I have never bought any wipes to clean down the cabin, etc.

I do have a tiny bottle of Purell with Aloe only because the first time we were told we had to use the Handsanitzers everywhere on the ship, my hands dried out and nearly bleeding. I ended up in the infirmary and was given a special hand cream. Need that Aloe.

I wouldn't over react. Actually, HAL does a great job of sanitizing the ship after one comes in with code red. Not only is the ship done, but all the shore side is as well. I just talked with a guest who did the Koningsdam trans Atlantic into Ft Lauderdale and he said it was also code red, but no one he knew had problems. It only takes a few careless people to get it started. Use your best preventation and you should be fine.

We just were on Koningsdam for the TA and there was no mention or indications of a Code Red situation. Many did come down with the "Cruise Crud" but no Noro as far as we know! Although much on Lido is not Self-Serve there are still some Self-serve especially the Tea/Coffee Stations and they were not in a Code Red!

Wouldn't the Tea/Coffee stations suspend Self-Serve and other precautions taken such as removing the glasses off of pre-set tables on Lido, condiments, etc. if the Ship had cases of Noro onboard? :confused:

Edited by idiebabe

We just were on Koningsdam for the TA and there was no mention or indications of a Code Red situation. Many did come down with the "Cruise Crud" but no Noro as far as we know! Although much on Lido is not Self-Serve there are still some Self-serve especially the Tea/Coffee Stations and they were not in a Code Red!

Wouldn't the Tea/Coffee stations suspend Self-Serve and other precautions taken such as removing the glasses off of pre-set tables on Lido, condiments, etc. if the Ship had cases of Noro onboard? :confused:

We've had code red on two cruises. In both cases, there weren't a lot of people sick. In both cases, the Captain gave an update each day and read the speech about "an abundance of caution" because they wanted to stop the virus before it became widespread. Self-service at the coffee station in the Lido did end. No bread and butter on the table in the MDR. Waiters served it. No salt and pepper shakers, packets were given on request.

On one of these cruises, they did a major cleaning between cruises. Everything that could be removed from the stateroom was taken out. I remember seeing a laundry cart full of trays and ice buckets in the hallway the last day. They went to a lot of trouble, considering the low number of cases. Compared to the horror stories I've heard from other lines--a friend was on a RCCL cruise a few years ago where it was so bad that they returned to Bayonne early--HAL seems to be managing to avoid that sort of calamity by taking the "abundance of caution" route.

i too will be on Friday's Oosterdam cruise. I've only been on one Code Red cruise and one post CR cruise and found it amusing that neither cruise line (HAL and NCL) found it prudent to shut down the slots where you could see five, six or more people touch the machines one after another. i was on the second leg of a repo cruise during the SARS scare and when we got to Bermuda we had to wait about 3-4 hours after docking to get off.

I'm currently onboard. We are still in Code red , although it's been getting better . The library has been shut for most of the crossing. No self serve in the Lido and they are constantly wiping down surfaces.

They also were spraying the chair pads on the deck chairs on Promenade deck.

It was a great crossing with fantastic weather and today we get to hear Captain Albert.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, if there is Noro, they suspend the Self-Serve and the crew serves you. Same with the condiments, glasses, etc.

I checked out the list... and had to laugh at some of the product names, like Blondie and Dagwood. Got curious enough to web search them and yup, real products.

Blondie: https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/ppls/067619-00024-20130826.pdf 1.4% Hydrogen Peroxide

Dagwood: https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/ppls/067619-00025-20120302.pdf also 1.4% Hydrogen Peroxide

Both from Clorox.

Next time I'm cruising with Blondie and Dagwood. ;)

i too will be on Friday's Oosterdam cruise. I've only been on one Code Red cruise and one post CR cruise and found it amusing that neither cruise line (HAL and NCL) found it prudent to shut down the slots where you could see five, six or more people touch the machines one after another. i was on the second leg of a repo cruise during the SARS scare and when we got to Bermuda we had to wait about 3-4 hours after docking to get off.

See you at the meet 'n greet, after muster Sea View bar on Lido. I'll have my Cruise Critic shirt on.

We were both affected by the severe fevers and coughs that swept like a torrent through both crew and passengers on our B2B Collector's cruise on Koningsdam across the transatlantic and had to keep to our cabin as a method of self-quarantine during a third of the cruise. And we are really very persistent with hand washing etc.

But several of the crew told us that about 40 % of the crew and passengers were affected and it sounded like a hospital in the World Stage theatre sometimes. Personally I tend to blame the drafty air conditioning on the ship, but I also saw and spoke to service personnel who had to work despite sore throats and coughs, who coughed discretely and then handed another glass of wine or a food item to the next customer. Many passengers coughed lustily away - perfect conditions for germs....

We have been on several "Noro" cruises on different cruise lines before and always have been lucky - the Cruise Cough got us this time, too.

We were both affected by the severe fevers and coughs that swept like a torrent through both crew and passengers on our B2B Collector's cruise on Koningsdam across the transatlantic and had to keep to our cabin as a method of self-quarantine during a third of the cruise. And we are really very persistent with hand washing etc.

But several of the crew told us that about 40 % of the crew and passengers were affected and it sounded like a hospital in the World Stage theatre sometimes. Personally I tend to blame the drafty air conditioning on the ship, but I also saw and spoke to service personnel who had to work despite sore throats and coughs, who coughed discretely and then handed another glass of wine or a food item to the next customer. Many passengers coughed lustily away - perfect conditions for germs....

We have been on several "Noro" cruises on different cruise lines before and always have been lucky - the Cruise Cough got us this time, too.

The "cruise cough" is a lot harder to avoid because it's airborne. I agree that air conditioning contributes, but I blame the dry air it blows on you. Your mucous membranes dry out and are less able to fend off germs.

For years, I would get a cold from flying, and then I started traveling with a cotton hankie that I periodically douse with a bit of water and then breathe the moist air. It may look odd, but I haven't had an "airplane cold" since I started doing that. Of course, it's more difficult to do that day after day on a cruise. But I do stand in the shower and steam my respiratory system, and that helps.

I was there too and the coughing all over the ship was terrible. I never heard anything about code red/Noro. I felt the burn in my throat the last Fri-Sat and started Coldeze. I had only a mild head cold/stuffy nose and almost no cough. But it still was not fun. I encounter this situation more on ships than I do Noro. My February cruise in SE Asia on the Sapphire Princess was far worse with real respiratory problems, And I got 2 colds 1 kinda mild on day 2 and again bad on next to last day. (But not respiratory issues) BTW, I was told that it came on the Koningsdam on the med cruise prior to our TA.

Edited by hpeabody

I was there too and the coughing all over the ship was terrible. I never heard anything about code red/Noro. I felt the burn in my throat the last Fri-Sat and started Coldeze. I had only a mild head cold/stuffy nose and almost no cough. But it still was not fun. I encounter this situation more on ships than I do Noro. My February cruise in SE Asia on the Sapphire Princess was far worse with real respiratory problems, And I got 2 colds 1 kinda mild on day 2 and again bad on next to last day. (But not respiratory issues) BTW, I was told that it came on the Koningsdam on the med cruise prior to our TA.

One of the worst things for us was the fact that we had been looking forward to seeing both the Bahamas and Half Moon Cay for the first time and even though it was a great view from our balcony - still... :(:( I hope for better luck next time.

As of about 15 minutes ago I still have not seen anyone get on. There has to be about a thousand or more people waiting. I know this isn't HAL's fault but there seems to me that they could communicate better with the masses waiting for the escalator. Oh well back to Hooters.