food taken to MDR

nanabananna

Pardon my ignorance here but I was under the impression that challah is a special bread for Jewish Sabbath and holidays, not a general consumption bread.

Very nice sweet bread...we eat on sabbath, holidays and other days as well.

All good answers above, but you may want to consider stepping out of your comfort zone and trying new dishes. Nobody will be upset if you try it and do not like it. If that happens, they will be more than happy to bring you something else. OTOH, you may find something that becomes your new favorite dish!

Or even ask your waiter if he can bring a very small sample of something on the menu, explaining that you are not familiar with the item but don't want to waste food by ordering the full item. Unless you carry that request to the extreme, I think you might be surprised at how willing they might be to handle your request! :p

Tom

Another suggestion, is to order the dish without the sauce or on the side. Sometimes it is the toppings that they are putting on the meat that I do not like. And if you see a vegetable on another dish you like, you can ask for it. The waiter will try to change anything to make you happy.

There are lots of great suggestions here, including the kids menu. I've had great success at ordering 'off menu' on many cruise lines. Just ask the server if the kitchen can bring you something else. I've had all sorts of substitutions over the years including no sauce, extra sauce, a different protein/starch/side combination, plates of asparagus, etc. They want to please you!

I think the next cruise I take , I will take a look at the childrens menu. Some times I get so full from eating on the adult it is to much. I hate wasting food.

I brought a piece of dessert into the MDR once, only because I was craving it and saved it when everyone was placing there dessert order. But I would not bring in a whole dinner in there. I bet the waiters might try to accomodate what you would like if you don't see something on the menu. Just ask.

Pardon my ignorance here but I was under the impression that challah is a special bread for Jewish Sabbath and holidays, not a general consumption bread.

Perhaps in it's original incarnation, but in many areas it's very popular among the general populace, and available daily, even in supermarket bakeries. As another poster mentioned, great for french toast.

I am traveling with my husband and another couple. Most of the dinner meals will be in the MDR.

I have looked at different MDR menus and I don't see a lot of foods that I would eat or really do not think I would like.

Do they serve hamburgers in the MDR? I have seen chicken which I like but not every night.

Question I have is Could I bring food from other places like Horizon buffet, pizza, BBQ etc. into the MDR so that I can eat and enjoy with others we are dining with? :rolleyes:

I see from your signature that you have done a previous Princess cruise in 2014. How did you manage then? The menus haven't changed that much.

Between the homestyle menu items, the pastas, the always available items... it really shouldn't be that hard to find something to eat. Even some of the "fancier" sounding items really are not as fancy as they sound. As others have said, you can ask for things without sauce, or sauce on the side. There is always one salad plus the always available Caesar salad, and you can have grilled chicken added to make it a main course. There's usually at least one "normal" soup, such as tomato or mushroom, though you might like the cold fruit soups which are more like smoothies. You can order appetizer portions of pastas, or order multiple appetizers/soups/salads if you don't like any main course options. The staff are very accommodating.

I say take the opportunity to try lot's of different foods that you would not normally eat at no additional cost to you. Don't like it don't eat it, one of your tablemates might even want part or all of it.

I credit Princess and our MDR waiter for turning our then picky-eater 8 year old daughter into an open minded, try anything you might just like it, eater all in one week's time.

She would order from the available anytime and he would suggest something from the regular menu, if she didn't like it he could quickly bring her anything from the anytime menu. Without exception she liked what he suggested, never had to bring the backup meal. By the end of the cruise she even tried the escargot. Alas, that one was a no-go and it came out faster than it went in.

We found listening to the waiter or asking what's the best starter and entrée tonight they will never steer you wrong. There were times we would order and he would ask "Are you sure you wouldn't want to try so-n-so" Meaning the original order maybe wasn't the best option for that night.