Which itinerary would you choose?

DebbieMo

I tend to agree with what most everyone else is saying. I would book the southern although I've never been on the Splendor.

We did an eight day southern cruise in 2014 and absolutely loved it. Our ports were St. Maarten, St. Kitts, San Juan and Grand Turk. Aruba and Curacao are both on my bucket list.

If you don't mind, check back in and let us know what you decide. ;)

Do the 8 day Southern on the Splendor! It is one of my favorite ships in Carnivals fleet and those ports are great. The best excursion we ever did was the underwater scuba scooters. You don't need to be experienced at scuba or even a strong swimmer. Check it out it's great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why didn't you like leaving from New Orleans? Just curious..

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We also sailed on the Dream from NOLA. GREAT ship. Absolutly worse port. Will never sail from that port again. I'm from south florida and am used to traffic, but the traffic there was a cluster.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Southern Caribbean on Splendor. I have not been to Aruba or Curacao, but I have been to La Romana in an all-inclusive, and I would go back in a heartbeat. That area of the Dominican Republic is so real and genuine, and there are many great day trips for you, like my personal favorite, Isla Catalina. Also, my parents just went to Curacao and their pictures are absolutely gorgeous. Splendor is such a beautiful ship that I have cruised on twice, and would love to do it again.

I hope I helped!

Everyone so far is for Southern! Is there anything to do in those ports other than excursions? We didn't do any planned excursions on our last cruise and enjoyed just doing an island tour once there or hanging out at the beach. At the ports on the Southern itinerary, would we have to book an excursion or is there enough to do without it?

I agree with other posters, the 8 day Southern would be my choice! Visited these ports a couple of years ago, didn't do any excursions. We love the beach, so in Aruba we got on a bus that took us to Palm Beach (beautiful) where we spent the afternoon, caught a taxi back to the port where we had time to walk around and shop. In Curacao we got off the ship and walked around Willemstad, checking out the open market, RIF Fort and the floating bridge. Would love to go back to these ports again soon.

Have a fun cruise on whichever ship you choose.

Southern Caribbean on Splendor. I have not been to Aruba or Curacao, but I have been to La Romana in an all-inclusive, and I would go back in a heartbeat. That area of the Dominican Republic is so real and genuine, and there are many great day trips for you, like my personal favorite, Isla Catalina. Also, my parents just went to Curacao and their pictures are absolutely gorgeous. Splendor is such a beautiful ship that I have cruised on twice, and would love to do it again.

I hope I helped!

You definitely did! [emoji854]

I would choose either one of the 8 day cruises. Longer cruises are better in my opinion. We have been to both Aruba and Curacao on cruises and enjoyed both. We also like a lot of sea days just to kick back and relax.

Hope this helped. Have a great cruise!

I would choose either one of the 8 day cruises. Longer cruises are better in my opinion. We have been to both Aruba and Curacao on cruises and enjoyed both. We also like a lot of sea days just to kick back and relax.

Hope this helped. Have a great cruise!

Definitely did.

I've only been on 2 cruises and both had just 2 sea days and I'm a little worried about 3 because I don't know if I'll be bored on the 2nd sea day. Do they normally have a lot of activities planned for the 2nd day like they do on the first? I didn't find much I wanted to do on the last sea day of our recent cruise.

I would go for either of the last two, the 8 day cruises to Curacao, Aruba etc.

I just love 8 day cruises. I have lately only been able to get 5 or 6 day cruises into my life's schedule, and find them to be sooooo very short. I have done a couple of 8 day ones and love them regardless of ports. But I choose these cruises beside being 8 days, because I like Splendor, and also would love to go to these ports, especially love to go to Curacao, and Aruba.

We just did the southern in August on the Conquest. Excellent itinerary. In La Romana we did a ziplining excursion thru Carnival which was fun and Aruba we did Trikes Aruba excursion (fantastic!). In Curacao we walked around and did some shopping - I wish we had done an excursion instead but wanted to hit the stores before they closed at 6:00. We ported from 1:00 to 11:00 so it impacted our choices.

I would choose #7.....Fort Lauderdale is a great port to sail from, and the airport is easy and quick to navigate, or at least in our experience! Also, the ports of call are more appealing than the other itineraries.

Your #7 and #8 are basically the same cruise, just different weeks, so why pay more for #8, unless that week works better for vacation time?

Your #7 and #8 are basically the same cruise, just different weeks, so why pay more for #8, unless that week works better for vacation time?

Some kids are still in school when #7 sails. Thus #8 commands the higher price.

OP, are there any school-aged children flying down from Minnesota? When do they get off school? And is there the possibility of having to make up school days?

I ask that, because last summer we planned an early summer vacation with our granddaughter, starting several days after school was supposed to end. We did not have a bad winter. But the school superintendent was guy-shy about keeping kids in school for bad weather. Once, school was called over the mere threat of snow. Which didn't even happen until after the end of the school day.

The school year got a lot extended several times. And my husband and I were sweating it out.

Last day of school was the day before vacation began. Less than 12 hours after she was let out, we were on the road.

Edited by LadyBeBop

I would choose #7.....Fort Lauderdale is a great port to sail from, and the airport is easy and quick to navigate, or at least in our experience! Also, the ports of call are more appealing than<script id="gpt-impl-0.8074469628231586" src="http://partner.googleadservices.com/gpt/pubads_impl_105.js"></script> the other itineraries.

The other difference between 7 and 8 is which port you will be in during the day when visiting Curacao and Aruba. Your first stop will be arriving in the afternoon and leaving around 10 to 11pm. The second island you will arrive in the morning around 8am and leave around 4pm. So you have to decide what time you want to be on each island depending on what you are wanting to do there.

I am enjoying reading the responses because I am researching options for June 2018. We've done the Western Caribbean many times and love it but will be doing something different that year.

I cannot really help with most of the other ports since I haven't been to any of them but I will say that we LOVE sailing from NOLA. We live near Dallas and can drive to NOLA or Galveston. NOLA has been MUCH cheaper for us for same itinerary and class of ship several times. Close parking, easy terminal. Never had a problem. Nothing against FLL, we just have to fly there.

That being said I would take 8 days over 7 all else being equal :)

This is a great thread for me too! We are planning a family trip with a few families on the Vista in August 17 but things are filling up. We were pumped for the Vista being new, the Family Harbor, and just the cool stuff it has. But...this Splendor itinerary (we can't go on the same Vista one because of school starting) on August 19th is very interesting and totally different for all of us. Hard to compare the two ships, but this itinerary is attractive!!