Continuous announcements on Liberty of the Seas

JTBCruiser

DW and I had a wonderful cruise on the Liberty this past week, but by golly, the constant on board announcements nearly drove us crazy. I thought RCI was going to cut back on these but just about every sale and on board activity was announced on this cruise. If they are going to do this then cut out the Cruise Compass as I thought that was the purpose of the Compass any way. I prefer reading the Compass as to hearing announcements all day long. Just sayin'. :eek:

DW and I had a wonderful cruise on the Liberty this past week, but by golly, the constant on board announcements nearly drove us crazy. I thought RCI was going to cut back on these but just about every sale and on board activity was announced on this cruise. If they are going to do this then cut out the Cruise Compass as I thought that was the purpose of the Compass any way. I prefer reading the Compass as to hearing announcements all day long. Just sayin'. :eek:

Funny, we have cruised on her three weeks this year and didn't notice that. Maybe a different activity director? Who is making all these announcements? Didn't notice it.

Funny, we have cruised on her three weeks this year and didn't notice that. Maybe a different activity director? Who is making all these announcements? Didn't notice it.

Several different voices so not just one person. John and Katrina Blair were the Cruise and Activities Directors.

I also agree that is was over the top. We were on two weeks ago, and it was non-stop. While on the Promenade deck, they had announcements every 15 minutes pushing their sale of the day (watches, handbags, charms, etc.) and accompanying raffle. Absolute insanity.

Edited by big_schots

Couldn't agree more. It was annoying. The announcement switch in our room didn't work so I kept opening our door, if we were in the room, to hear if it was important. UGH!

On a side note, I have NEVER been in a cabin where the announcement switch worked. It's a pain to have to open the door to hear announcements in case it's important (and it's usually NOT important).

Are there really cabins where that switch works?

On a side note, I have NEVER been in a cabin where the announcement switch worked. It's a pain to have to open the door to hear announcements in case it's important (and it's usually NOT important).

We've found those volume controls work most often on Voyager class ships.

We've found those volume controls work most often on Voyager class ships.

I haven't been on a Voyager class ship yet so maybe that's where you have to be to hear the announcements in your cabin. I guess if I keep cruising eventually I'll find a cabin where it works. As good a reason as any to keep going, isn't it? :)

Save

If it is important they will make the announcements in the room. Have been on ships when teenagers have gone missing in the middle of the night and they turn on the room announcements to find them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

May be wise to pack an earplug in case a similar intolerable situation happens on the next cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ugh. I hate to hear this as we really, really dislike the overhead announcements. Personally, we feel that announcements should be limited to the captain's once-a-day briefing, notices that the ship has been cleared and passengers can proceed to shore, and any emergency and/or change of itinerary information.

I thought I remembered Royal indicating they would eliminate the overhead announcements - other than the captain's daily announcement - but I guess I'm mistaken. It must be a cruise director or activities director driven decision. We were on Liberty in September with a different cruise director and activities manager, and there weren't an overabundance of announcements on that sailing. We're back on in December, and I'm now dreading being bombarded with announcements...

My understanding is that the only announcement you'll hear in your room is the life boat drill info on the day you board. If we're in the cabin and hear the beginning of an announcement, we'll usually go in the hall to listen.

If I'm out and about, I like to hear what's going on. We'll see if there's too many on board Liberty in 12 days.

Edited by sellwingri

The one thing I really hated was Captain talking about ship and weather at the end of the like boat drill, not really interested at anything but ending the drill , another thing is in my 15 or so drills we have always been outside and standing not in a lounge

I have often wondered why they put a $5 sound system on a billion dollar ship. I don't care about the captains message as I don't understand too much broken European English. On top of that, it is very hard to hear when so many passengers continue to talk, especially if you are on the pool deck or in a bar

We've noticed that Day One has about 75 % off all the messages. Day Two another 15%, By Day Three, it then tapers down to nothing. They seem to do their 'hawking' of everything early on to make all aware of what is being offered etc.