Cruising with Dones

Hi everyone, has anyone had an experience of bringing a drone on RCCL recently? Reading their website saying drones are prohibited and then reading forums stating that they were allowed their drone back at port prompted me to call the cruise line and ask. The lady didn't seem to really know a lot about it, but she read off something on her computer that said that you may bring drones on board however they are to be confiscated upon entry to the boat and are released at ports of call - however it's up to the individual to comply with the drone laws in that particular country. She made it sound like you had to get "permission" from the ports but I have no idea how you'd even go about doing that? And she didn't seem to think we would need written consent, so how would we prove we got permission? Very confusing! If anyone can shed some light I would appreciate it! We don't want to lug our drone all the way there only to not be able to use it at the ports.

Hi everyone, has anyone had an experience of bringing a drone on RCCL recently? Reading their website saying drones are prohibited and then reading forums stating that they were allowed their drone back at port prompted me to call the cruise line and ask. The lady didn't seem to really know a lot about it, but she read off something on her computer that said that you may bring drones on board however they are to be confiscated upon entry to the boat and are released at ports of call - however it's up to the individual to comply with the drone laws in that particular country. She made it sound like you had to get "permission" from the ports but I have no idea how you'd even go about doing that? And she didn't seem to think we would need written consent, so how would we prove we got permission? Very confusing! If anyone can shed some light I would appreciate it! We don't want to lug our drone all the way there only to not be able to use it at the ports.

You are correct that they are listed as a prohibited item and are not permitted to be brought on board RCI ships. It's irrelevant what the individual port regulations are if you can't take them on board the ship the gets you there.

I realize some people have reported being able to bring them on with permission - indicating some special purpose - but I would not trust that if it were me unless you get clear direction from RCI. The forums are not the ultimate authority regarding this - only RCI is, and their published regulations say no.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

You are correct that they are listed as a prohibited item and are not permitted to be brought on board RCI ships. It's irrelevant what the individual port regulations are if you can't take them on board the ship the gets you there.

I realize some people have reported being able to bring them on with permission - indicating some special purpose - but I would not trust that if it were me unless you get clear direction from RCI. The forums are not the ultimate authority regarding this - only RCI is, and their published regulations say no.

The reason I asked the question in this post was because I did call RCI (due to the conflicting responses I was seeing), and they advised that we could indeed take it on board however it would be confiscated and given to us at ports, BUT it was up to us to find out about the rules at the ports. I was just asking to see if anyone else had to get "permission" from ports and how they went about doing that.

I wonder if any line would want the hassle of having to take possession of drones as passenges's board and then arrange to make them available for passengers to take ashore at ports - if any significant number of people wanted to use drones in ports - very likely if they were allowed, the lines would have to set aside storage space and staff for checking in and releasing the drones. I would be surprised if any line would want to get involved - without charging a "reasonable" fee for the accommodation.

The reason I asked the question in this post was because I did call RCI (due to the conflicting responses I was seeing), and they advised that we could indeed take it on board however it would be confiscated and given to us at ports, BUT it was up to us to find out about the rules at the ports. I was just asking to see if anyone else had to get "permission" from ports and how they went about doing that.

I wouldn't trust the information received from the rep - they are not always fully informed of all their policies. If bringing drones on board was allowed, the policy would state how one can do that - not include it under prohibited items. I just wouldn't take the chance if it were me.

As to finding out what regulations are at the different ports of call regarding drones, try googling it.

I wouldn't trust the information received from the rep - they are not always fully informed of all their policies. If bringing drones on board was allowed, the policy would state how one can do that - not include it under prohibited items. I just wouldn't take the chance if it were me.

As to finding out what regulations are at the different ports of call regarding drones, try googling it.

Thank you! :) That is a good point. It's kind of annoying the rep and the website have conflicting answers. I'll do some more research!

I think you need to verify the laws on the various islands where you pl an to y use your drone. IT c ould vilolate law on one or more of the islands. Same drones have to be registerd in u U.S.., Perhaps that is also the case in some of the islands You inevitably will be imposing on priv ac y of some people, palces in a way that might not be lawful. you well c ould be taking a big risk. Leave the fool thing home., [ MO

Edited by sail7seas

This is not the right forum to ask about drones, some people here really hates drones...

To give you an idea on what a drone can do and not do, take a look here:

Not the greatest spy tool in the world, especially not if you compared to a super-zoom camera:

This is not the right forum to ask about drones, some people here really hates drones...

To give you an idea on what a drone can do and not do, take a look here:

Not the greatest spy tool in the world, especially not if you compared to a super-zoom camera:

Quite a distance! Interesting.

Not sure. But it seems someone did say they got permission from RCCL to bring their drone on board. Not sure how they did it. Seems writing an article and giving the cruise line free advertising might be a reason.

Someone "said" they got permission. People said that alot and sometimes it is a big fib

What post do you mean or if you mean the whole thread? That is for the Host to decide.

Yes. I mean the thread. Thank you for the correction; but as you can well see, it is not closed do to the very reason you stipulated. However, I do have the right to express my view that it has run its' course.

:D

Yes. I mean the thread. Thank you for the correction; but as you can well see, it is not closed do to the very reason you stipulated. However, I do have the right to express my view that it has run its' course.

:D

Wouldn't it be easier for you to just not open the thread than to open it and then repeatedly complain that it should be closed? :confused:

I am referring to the fact that just because someone claims here that they got permission to do something does not make it true. People post lies all the time.

Oh yes I agree. My brother did not get permission. he brought his drone on the Ruby Princess.. in his checked luggage and flew it in Mazatlan.. not a lie.

Wouldn't it be easier for you to just not open the thread than to open it and then repeatedly complain that it should be closed? :confused:

Repeatedly complain?

I don't know where you got that from. I made one comment before you started suggesting what you think I should say do, or think.

OK. You win. Rant on if you choose. Enjoy your cruise.

I wonder if any line would want the hassle of having to take possession of drones as passenges's board and then arrange to make them available for passengers to take ashore at ports - if any significant number of people wanted to use drones in ports - very likely if they were allowed, the lines would have to set aside storage space and staff for checking in and releasing the drones. I would be surprised if any line would want to get involved - without charging a "reasonable" fee for the accommodation.

Many lines will do just this with dive knives. They will take them and release them for passenger use at ports. A drone is likely to be a larger item than a knife but the necessity for designated storage and administrative burden seems very similar.

Just so ya'll know, two people now at RCCL have told me the same thing - that we can bring it and take it off at port. So I'm going to give it a go. Not sure what you guys think when you hear drone but the ones passengers would be using aren't massive things with huge video cameras like some massive spy tool. Ours is literally the size of an SLR camera and all we want to do is take some cool video of the landscape. No spying on people, no flying it around the ship...people need to calm down lol.